The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Near Death Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:51 PM

Near Death Experiences

Yesterday it happened to me - I saw death hurtling toward me. I always wondered what people do when they are faced with that - do you yell, scream, cuss?? I did nothing

I was driving to the hospital for my brother's surgery, and I had just turned onto a major freeway. I was in the far left (fast) lane, when a huge truck swerved in front of me. It was similar in shape to a tomato truck, open on top. It didn't bother me; he was going pretty darn fast too.

Suddenly, a huge pipe about 6 feet long and 3" around flew up out of the bed of the truck, then heading directly at my windshield. (You couldn't see anything in the bed, it was 10' off the ground - big truck!)

As the pipe descended, the end toward me dropped as if drawn to me. At that moment, I thought, "I think I can't avoid this", my eyes riveted on it. I even leaned over to the right as if leaning in my seat would help things .

But then the back end of that pipe dropped too, and as it did, it struck the edge of the truck bed --- and that catapulted it end over end off to the left, just barely missing my car. There was a motorcycle behind me, and we would have both been toast, going 75mph.

What did I do? Nothing - I was breathing hard, sniffling, trying to call hubby, but he was in a meeting. I slapped the stereo off, to get rid of the noise, and then I drove in silent shock.

After about 2 minutes, I had a song in my head -- our special song - Cat's in the Cradle. I turned the stereo back on, and yes, that's what was playing on my CD at that moment. I was just weak in the knees, but just kept my eyes on the road, until I got there.

So that's my story --- how close to death have you been?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:55 PM

CRAP!
Glad to hear your ok Ms. Cheri!

No near-death experiences for me--but had very vivid dreams of when my mom and dad were going to pass...

@ngelita...
Old 08-28-2008, 12:54 AM

I have had several in my life, but one I remember while driving the HHR was when I was heading northbound on a two lane hgwy, a truck heading southbound with the big rolls of haybails, yep you guessed it, two came off. I managed to miss them, but had a few words and pulled off the road for a few minutes.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:57 AM

Reminds me of the scariest situation I have ever been involved in as a child.

When I was in school (about 12 years old), I was hanging out in the backyard of a friend's house when my friend's younger brother (about 10 years old) climbed up on their homemade swingset. It was a huge 2 story swingset their parents built for them.

He took a rope we used as a swing and for some unknow reason, tied it around his neck. He then just leaned over and fell off the side rail of the swingset and we heard a terrible gurgling sound as he dangled from the swingset with this rope around his neck. I will never forget his eyes rolling back in his head as he just hung from the rope with his feet about 2 feet off the ground and arms dangling by his sides.

It happened so fast that it was like a blur.

Then my friend and myself ran over to him immediately. I wrapped my arms around his limp legs and tried to hold him up to take the pressure of the rope off his neck and my friend scaled up the side of the swingset to untie the rope.

When my friend got the rope untied, he dropped down into my arms and we both hit the ground.

Amazing as it was, as soon as we hit the ground he started coughing and gagging BUT WAS ALIVE!!! I could not believe how close we came to seeing him die.

He had major rope burns all around his neck.

They told his parents and he was grounded. His father within a day, tore down the swingset with a chainsaw.

I swear I thought he had died, and if we were not there, I'm sure he would have. His parents immediately began him in counseling.

I had never seen anyone get that close to dying and come back ever in person and hope to never see that again.

(I still after all these years have told very few about this... I have still not even told my parents)
Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 AM

A few years back (probably about 6 by now) I was cleaning my room and there was a sliding glass door from my room to the back yard. My moms boyfriend and her enclosed it after taking the sliding glass door out. I decided to clean my room one day and picked up the pain of glass (from the sliding glass door, all the aluminum was stripped so we could cash it in) The glass had a hairline crack in it and I set it down to get better hold of it and it snapped at the hairline and came down and hit my foot (i didn't feel a thing) looked down and seen blood everywhere... Went to the E.R. and got 35 stitches. 10 inside (yes i cut the muscle for my foot) and 25 outside. As they where stitching me up if it would have went 1 cm closer and deeper I would have hit a major blood vessel. I do have a scar and limp from time to time.

Name:  P8270007-1.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  14.5 KB

NEXT!......
Old 08-28-2008, 06:53 AM

In 2006, I wasstopped for a red light at a busy shopping mall area. Main street, Saturday 4pm and tons of traffic. The light turned green and as I proceeded through the intersection..."WHAM". I got nailed in my car. I didn't know what happened until I was pulled from my car. Apparently, A nut case was fleeing the cops in a chase. He hit me doing 70 mph in a 30mph zone, through a red light. The idiot hit 6 other vehicles at the intersection and ended up in someone front yard 200 yds down the street. I was told he got out and tried to fight the cops. I was taken to the hospital and ended up off work for 4 months(Back and neck injuries). If I had been a faction of a second futher through the intersection I was probably a dead man(T-Boned driver side)
The nut case had gotten 40 Tylenol #3s from his doctor that day and had 8 left when the cops got him. 4 months later he went to court and pleaded not guilty by temp. insanity. He spent 1 1/2 years in a psych ward and lost his license for 3 years and to refrain from intoxicants also. Now he is in a halfway house. Health officials have regular meetings with him along with several different doctors. At one meeting, he could not understand why he was not allowed to have beer. He thought it was inhuman for him not to be able to have. He has no insurance, no money...nothing. Thank GM at the time for having sick and accident benefits and my ins. comp. topped up the amount so wouldn't be out of pocket. The car I was driving was a 02 PT loser and was wrote off. So, I ended up with an '06 HHR 2LT because of the safety rating of the car. I was so happy with that one, so I traded in for an '08 HHR SS. I will have permanent neck problems but I can manage now that I have retired. As for the idiot driver I'm still waiting for another health report from the Health officials to see if this guy has been released on his own yet...
Old 08-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Thank God you're ok Cheri.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:37 PM

Fantastic stories!! My stomach clenches as I read... oh, I'm fine, but some of you have been forever changed from these experiences!!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:40 PM

in 1996 i was driving a service ford van...... when a pu over shot a curve and hit me head on...... the impact drove the dash into my knee which drove it out the rear (through my hip socket)...... my right ankle broke my right leg broke, the steering wheel crushing my chest, breaking 2 ribs, and internal problems, was pictures taken and there was 8 inches between steering wheel and the back of the seat... that was after they cut me out....... dont remember much after the impact went into a comma (which they didnt think i would come out of or make it) and 7 days later started to come out of it....... after a long stay in the hospital, and surgery to pulled my leg back out of my back area, pins and plates, and a long battle with phneumonia, due to collapst lung.... and alot of physcial theropy to learn how to operate and manuver a wheel chair..... then several months to learn how walk again,
I have been bless to have a second chance in life, and you know things that i thought was a priority were not any more, and those that werent started to be; Life is to short.... enjoy what you have .......
oh and i do walk pretty good, I cant refree high school and college basketball anymore but, I am thankful that i can walk........Someone was watching over me and it just wasnt my time...
I would post a picture of my scar but dont think you would want to see it....the long one on the chest or the 18 inch on my hip and butt........lol
Old 08-28-2008, 05:46 PM

July 15th, 2005 - Was with my squad in Iraq and had just left my base to go on a 12 hour mission to secure a TCP (Traffic Control Point) in central Baghdad.

I was driving the lead Humvee in our 3 vehicle convoy and had gotten about 2 miles down the road before an IED exploded on the driver's side of the road. Luckily they hit the trigger a fraction of a second too late and the rear of my humvee took the majority of the damage. My gunner, who had been holding security out the top of the gunner's hatch, was littered with shrapnel but it was all caught by his body armor. I sustained minor damage to my ears which has earned me a 10% disability with the VA.

Humvee was still driveable and no other injuries so we continued on with our mission and had to sit in complete silence (except 30 minute radio checks) for 12 hours from 9pm through the night to 9am.

I still feel anger when I think about it... someone tried to kill me that night.

Quick Reply: Near Death Experiences