The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Need To Rant!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by oneton
How I read this [Got my Fiancé Student Loan Bill ] Not Your Problem !
It will be come Sept 19th of this year. I'll be dammed if i default on a loan. Haven't thus far don't plan on it.

I guess my plan to go back is on hold untill we get her Loans under control. Another wonderful thing the interest rate's are basically 6-7% right due to the lovely economy. Atleast in few year's we will be able to get them for 3-4% I hope. Her sister who graduated 4yr's ago had her loans at 2%.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:28 PM

asdfghjk;l

I JUST started college at UT (Arlington)... My dad/godfather/everyone else paid for my first two semesters (Fall 08 & Spring 09) BUT i'm on my own after this. Good news is i plan on graduating in 3 years total.. So i will only need to pay for 4 of the 6 semesters. (PLUS summer school.. BUT i will be doing that at a community college)... I HOPE my loans when i get them won't be too steep... Time will tell!! haha

Sorry you got stuck with your fiance's student loan bill.. I suppose that is what will happen to Paul someday =P haha Just Kidding
Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Old Lar
Your choice to get a loan.. you could have gotten a job, saved the money, go to school. You could have enlisted in the military,served and gotten monetary assistance (GI Bill) and gone to school. You could have skipped going to further your schooling and gotten a job..

I'll get to pay for your schooling, just as I get to pay for those who don't want to pay for their medical insurance, food housing, raising their kids...like I have a bottomless pocket for this.
Well, YOU can enjoy the money the gov't takes out of my paycheck twice a month for social security that won't be there when I retire. Why on earth would you be paying for his schooling anyway? Student loans are pretty much bankruptcy-proof. There's all this talk about bailing out everyone who bought a $300,000 house on a minimum-wage job, but people who have variable-interest private student loans have to take it in the pants? Gimme a break!

Gov't backed student loan programs have done nothing but increase the poverty and indebtedness of an entire generation of college graduates. The easy access to funds drives up the cost of going to college. Schools know that the money is there, so they just start spending it and charging more and more for tuition and services every year. Then they bring diversity quotas in the mix and people who get rejected out of the mix have to spend even more money elsewhere. It's a ridiculous cycle that winds up closing more doors than are opened.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 PM

lots of hostility.... im just gonna stir it up more....

my wife was an orphan..... ='s free college 4 eva....
Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 AM

Greedy colleges have driven up the cost of going to college. The Florida university system has raised their tuition almost every year because they're one of the lowest in the country. What kind of ridiculous logic is that? Many of the student attend on Bright Futures scholarships paid for by the Florida lottery so raising tuition just takes more from the lottery. Not a smart idea!

I never finished college because of money. Loans and scholarships weren't readily available in the 70's. But, both my boys will graduate this year without any loans. I frequently tell them how lucky they are!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by halfpanelsgirl
asdfghjk;l

I JUST started college at UT (Arlington)... My dad/godfather/everyone else paid for my first two semesters (Fall 08 & Spring 09) BUT i'm on my own after this. Good news is i plan on graduating in 3 years total.. So i will only need to pay for 4 of the 6 semesters. (PLUS summer school.. BUT i will be doing that at a community college)... I HOPE my loans when i get them won't be too steep... Time will tell!! haha
just make sure if you are taking summer classes from a community college that you have it in writing somewhere that they will transfer, because even then they can just say no. Saw it happen to a lot of my friends. Wasted time and money. The three years will help, my wife did it in 3.5, and i took the more leisurely 5 year route. I switched majors (for the better) and didn't have a choice about the length of time.

As for the military comment someone had, not only is the military not for everyone, but if your plan is to enlist to get money for school during an active wartime, and that's the only reason why you want to join, that's just stupid. Quick way to get yourself killed. My cousin is in the army right now and can't wait to get the hell out. He was all for it when he started and now they are offering him more to stay, and he said not a chance. He's been to iraq twice now.

Here's a tip for everyone though. If you have young kids, and want them to go to school 100% free, go live in Kalamazoo Michigan. It's called the Kalamazoo promise. A lot of private parties invested a ton of money into this and they invested it into way so that it will never run out. They had so much to start with, it keeps growing from here. Everyone that lives in the limits set by the city, their kids can go to school 100% tuition free. Last i knew as well WMU was then offering free room and board to any of those people as well, so BAM, free college. All you gotta do is live there.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 AM

As far as the Bankruptcy, Bailout Comment. You CAN NOT File Bankrupt on Student Loans. Only way possible is to go through a Lawyer and get the State and Loan Company to agree you Don't make enough and never will. Which would probably cost as much as the loans did.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by VictorySpark08
I never went to College. My Bad. At the time Parents and I made to much money for any Gov't Loan's. She has one 13k Gov't loan. The Rest are through AES. Her Parents didn't make enough to Send 3 Kids to College and pay for it. Her parents then got Divorced and she did work Part-time through out going to school and she lived at home for 4 of the 5yr's.

If i didn't have her i probably would have gone into the Military.

So thanks for your Wisdom. Got a 50k Year Job for her?
If you were up in my area there is a nice government job available as a junior interior designer. They are looking for someone that has just graduated from an interior design program but I figure fashion design would be close enough.

The pay should be pretty good (I have a number of friends who work there as programmers or geologists and they get paid very well) and it's offers three weeks paid vacation with an additional 24 paid flex days (more or less at total of 8 weeks paid time off.)
Old 01-16-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
If you were up in my area there is a nice government job available as a junior interior designer. They are looking for someone that has just graduated from an interior design program but I figure fashion design would be close enough.
Design jobs are not interchangeable!

Fashion designers are not interior designers, graphic designers are not fashion designers, etc... That is like saying well you have a degree in structural engineering, have this job as an electrical engineer, you'll be fine, they're the same right?

Some skills would overlap, but if they are looking for someone who is an interior designer, a fashion designer is not going to be able to do it. They most likely won't even know the software. I'm a graphic designer and my sister is an interior designer, there is a slim chance we could trade jobs and know what to do when we got there.

Sorry this just gets me angry.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman
Design jobs are not interchangeable!

Fashion designers are not interior designers, graphic designers are not fashion designers, etc... That is like saying well you have a degree in structural engineering, have this job as an electrical engineer, you'll be fine, they're the same right?

Some skills would overlap, but if they are looking for someone who is an interior designer, a fashion designer is not going to be able to do it. They most likely won't even know the software. I'm a graphic designer and my sister is an interior designer, there is a slim chance we could trade jobs and know what to do when we got there.

Sorry this just gets me angry.
I'm fully aware that there are significant difference but I was just throwing that out there because from reading the responsibilities and qualifications for the posting I figure a fashion designer (actually pretty much anyone) could fill the position.

I don't think it takes an interior designer certificate or degree to help in picking colour schemes and office furniture, fixtures and equipment. I'm pretty sure almost any one can do that sort of work.

Maybe one of the places where a fashion designer might not meet the criteria is in autocad experience but I could see a lot of younger designers having such skills now.

These are the responsibilities of the position:
Involved in office space planning projects
Assisting in interior design projects
Responsible for selection and specification of furniture, fixtures and equipment
Involved in purchasing and coordination of office furnishing vendors and service suppliers
Involved in internal client and vendor interface

Personally, I do not see what could be taught specifically to an interior designer that would make them any better at these tasks as compared to a fashion designer.

I'm not trying to diminish the skills or talents of interior designers.

The only technical thing listed for qualifications is Autocad technical skills and general computer literacy. The rest is generic office skills and knowledge of sustainable design and products along with knowledge in office furniture systems (maybe that's something an experienced interior designer would know better than a fashion designer if they have worked in a commercial/office environment before.)