The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

NEW Camaro to make its debut

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 AM

actually it hink it looks a lot like the challenger, only not as sexy.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:03 PM

I hate doing it but I also give the nod to the cleaner styling of the Challenger. The Camaro has two little rectangular things on the rear end my eyes focus on back there that throws off the look of the car for me. Too many curves, add-ons, etc. for an oldtimer. Challenger's spoiler is a cheap-looking add-on. I looked at them at a local dealer, but then I dislike spoilers, period. I DO like how the Camaro has bigger rear than front tires. Challenger and Barracuda did that in 1970. ...later .... I just saw a photo (non-production version???) that does not have those little backup lights or whatever rectangles that I disliked so much in some photos of the rearend. I wish I could get a Camaro with the LS7 7 liter engine. I LOVE cubic inches and currently have two trucks with 505 of them and appreciate the torque they provide.

Last edited by Danko; 07-28-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:13 PM

Obviously, it will always come down to a person's personal preference. Personally, I would take the Camaro. I have said for many years that if someone were to make a brand new car with a 69 Camaro body and modern electronics they would make a fortune! It's not an exact 69 Camaro but it is pretty close.

If you take the two cars compared side-by-side with the predecessor, you'll find the Camaro is a lot more true to it's roots. The Camaro and Challenger both had bold sexy curves back when. The Challenger is all smoothed out and left out all the sexy curves. The Camaro brings them into the new millenium. I just wish they would have stuck with the 69 Camaro plan and put squared fender openings instead of round ones like on the 67-8.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:00 PM

I am impressed with what has happened to the 5.7 hemi for '09. The truck version is up to 390 h.p. and the cars are right behind. A 6 speed manual is also available and the SRTs are not available with employee discount so the R/T with 375 or so h,p, in a convert looks good for a couple springs from now....... What would change my mind would be LS7 availability in the Camaro. THAT would do it for me!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Banned

Nothing impresses me about the modern "Hemi". It's a joke for power compared to the original and drinks fuel almost as badly.

The Camaro Z28 will eventually get the LSA engine, which is basically the ZR1's supercharged LS9 in a detuned package. The Corvette team is very picky about "their" engines being made available in other GM models. They pitched a fit when the LS6 from the original ZO6 was used in the first CTS-V's and the Caddy went to the LS2 when it was introduced the next year or two later.

BTW, I'm betting that the Z28 pushes $45-50,000 when it's introduced. It's a "bargain" off the $100k ZR1, but there's no way it's going to be as good a bargain the fourth gens were.

If you really want to make some power for the strip, you gotta go with a punched out LSX. I bet more than a few base models will get stripped down even further for that purpose. I wonder if they'll reintroduce the old 1LE package, too.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by ymerej_mortsdnil
Seems like everyone posting on this thread totally missed this article I posted awhile back...a FOUR CYLINDER Camaro...

exerpt from the linked article (3rd/4th paragraph)........

It's the return of a once-popular model that has been out of production since the 2002 model year. V6 versions, which GM expects will be the biggest sellers, are expected to get 26 miles per gallon on the highway. That's about the same as a V6 Ford Mustang, while boasting the same horsepower output as a V8 Mustang.

The Camaro SS, powered by a 6.2-liter V8 engine, will get about 23 mpg on the highway, according to GM. Again, that matches the V8 Mustang GT with up to 40% more power. (The Camaro will be a heavier car than the Mustang, however.)
No mention of a 4 cylinder anywhere in article.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:02 AM

hhrcrafty, You know not of what you speak/write. New h.p. ratings equate to the old rating in a real 1 1/2 to 1 ratio, meaning the new 425 hemi has about 1 1/2 the h.p. of the old 425 h.p. hemi. The new ones are much cleaner and efficient and lighter, too. They are not actually hemis, though. The old ones might have a torque edge and that is all. Helping the new ones are better vehicles surrounding them and more gears in the transmissions.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Danko
hhrcrafty, You know not of what you speak/write. New h.p. ratings equate to the old rating in a real 1 1/2 to 1 ratio, meaning the new 425 hemi has about 1 1/2 the h.p. of the old 425 h.p. hemi. The new ones are much cleaner and efficient and lighter, too. They are not actually hemis, though. The old ones might have a torque edge and that is all. Helping the new ones are better vehicles surrounding them and more gears in the transmissions.
The new '425' Hemi is not 425 cubes nor is it a big block engine of any kind like the old 426 Hemis. It is neither as stout nor capable of the same extreme power levels as the old engines. When you're going down the track, you want TORQUE, not horsepower. Efficiency is one thing I didn't claim, but there's no way you can compare that between the two, however the new engine is just as bad for economy. Some of the worst vehicles for fuel efficiency among the media are the ones equipped with the new Hemi.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Okay, it is this simple. How quick could old stock hemis do the quarter mile? How fast can the new ones do the quarter mile? End of story! ...and I never said the new hemi was 425 cubes.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Danko
Okay, it is this simple. How quick could old stock hemis do the quarter mile? How fast can the new ones do the quarter mile? End of story! ...and I never said the new hemi was 425 cubes.
Chill out, bro...

Most elephant cars ran under 13 after the owners tinkered with the carbs and timing a little. The new SRT8 Challenger is supposed to run about a 13.3 or so.

Needless to say, it's all marketing hype. The engines are NOT the same and nothing worthy of comparison.

Weren't we talking about the *****in' Camaro anyway?

Quick Reply: NEW Camaro to make its debut