The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

NEW Camaro to make its debut

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:34 PM

I do not need to chill and certainly am not your bro. Stock new hemis are faster than stock old hemis, like I said. Hopefully the new Camaro will be faster than the SRT8s are. I am sorry to read the new Camaro will be available with fewer h.p. than the Challenger offers. Hopefully the Camaro will be lighter. The Challenger is heavy.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Danko
I do not need to chill and certainly am not your bro. Stock new hemis are faster than stock old hemis, like I said. Hopefully the new Camaro will be faster than the SRT8s are. I am sorry to read the new Camaro will be available with fewer h.p. than the Challenger offers. Hopefully the Camaro will be lighter. The Challenger is heavy.
the camaro is only about 100 lbs lighter than the challenger.. but with that said, older engines were pushing around tin cans compared to what cars weigh today. With all the safety stuff in effect, it doesn't matter if the body's made out of fiberglass, all that sound deadening and airbags and emissions stuff weighs a lot!

EDIT: btw, whoever thinks that new engines cant push out hp is dead wrong. All you need is a good driver. My 2002 Camaro ran a 12.805 STOCK. I borrowed an SLP air lid from a friend, and that was the only non-factory thing on the car. No sticky tires, just BFG KDW street tires. As long as whatever they put in the car is as good an engine as the ls1, they'll be quick cars.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Danko
The Hemi Challenger could do a 13.0 flat from the factory. The SRT8 does it in 13.3.

The Camaro SS will also offer 422 horsepower, which is a whopping four less horsepower than the SRT8 for a lot less money. The Z28 should push it over 500 if they decide to go ahead and build it.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by CDS31MC
From the side it almost looks like a mustang, why not more of a retro camaro look like ford did with the mustang?
I was thinking the samething when I saw the pictures of the new Camaro.

My husband has a 68 Camaro and he is getting all excited about the new ones coming out. After seeing the pics, not sure if he has seen them yet, this car would be a joke sitting next to his 68.

Sorry, looks to much like a mustang to me.

Mrs. Zaireguy
Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 AM

When the Camaro and Challenger finally come out, Motor Trend will run a big cover story about the return of "American Iron" like they did when the 300C came out a few years ago. The Camaro, Challenger and 300C are all Canadian. The so-called hemis are Mexican made. ............. and 425 minus 422 is not four..... I will stand by my statement that the old big blocks would NOT beat the new "hemis" totally STOCK! (stock means tires, too!) But who cares? The new cars have better transmissions with more gears, FAR better brakes, tires, wheels and suspensions and are much more aerodynamic and cleaner and dependable, too.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zaireguy
I was thinking the samething when I saw the pictures of the new Camaro.

My husband has a 68 Camaro and he is getting all excited about the new ones coming out. After seeing the pics, not sure if he has seen them yet, this car would be a joke sitting next to his 68.

Sorry, looks to much like a mustang to me.

Mrs. Zaireguy
The car isn't designed to look like a '68 Camaro. It's designed to look more like a '69, which is considered by a lot of people to be the most desirable year for the first-gens. It was also a one-year-only body style and interior.

I think it looks like a Mustang and Challenger about as much as the '69 Camaro did. The long hood, short deck, short roofline body style is the classic musclecar look that was so common back then that the cars were almost indistinguishable from one another--especially when the Mustang lost its side scoops.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 AM

Glad to hear it is lighter than the LX based Challenger. Small blocks can run if they do not have too much to drag around.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:40 AM

70 Hemi Challenger ----08 SRT-8 Challenger
3930 lbs -----------------4140 lbs
426 c.i -------------------370 c.i.
7.0 liter ------------------6.1 liter
10.2:1 --------------------10.3:1
425 hp ------------------- 425 hp
490 lb/ft ----------------- 420 lb/ft
0-60: 8.0 s -------------- 0-60: 4.9 s
13.1@107.12 mph -------13.11@108.3
60-0: 160 ft --------------60-0: 110 ft
7/12 mpg -----------------13/18 mpg

now, the 1/4 mile ets are from actual drivers, not speculation, but even if you go by dodges estimate 13.3 ET, to have the same hp coming from an engine thats a full liter smaller, and a close (if not identical) ET in a car that's 210 lbs heavier, I'm sorry, even as an old school muscle lover, I have to be impressed. There is also the incredible 0-60 time as well as 50 foot shorter stopping distance in 60-0. All that from a car that gets better fuel mileage, and there's no such thing as too much of a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I love old school muscle (I have a handful of Camaro's, a 440 wedge powered dragster, dad's got a 69 super bee with 440/6-pack) but the new cars aren't something to turn your head away from. Not to mention the safety in them has come a long way from lap belts and a nice sheep skin steering wheel cover of the 70s.

below are the links where I got the information from..
http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Chall...lip-15484.html
http://image.automotive.com/f/roadte...mage_large.jpg
http://www.newcartestdrive.com/sneak...m?ReviewID=102
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt8/specs.html

btw, sorry for the challenger hijack in the camaro thread, but there's no REAL specs on the camaro yet for comparison :-)
Old 08-02-2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
The car isn't designed to look like a '68 Camaro. It's designed to look more like a '69, which is considered by a lot of people to be the most desirable year for the first-gens. It was also a one-year-only body style and interior.

I think it looks like a Mustang and Challenger about as much as the '69 Camaro did. The long hood, short deck, short roofline body style is the classic musclecar look that was so common back then that the cars were almost indistinguishable from one another--especially when the Mustang lost its side scoops.
i honestly prefer a 68 model to the 69...

a 68 RS or RS/SS o0o0 dream car
i stil think they should have made the front grill like a 68 RS all blacked out or like a late 70s earely 80s Z28
Old 08-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EL_REY
i honestly prefer a 68 model to the 69...

a 68 RS or RS/SS o0o0 dream car
i stil think they should have made the front grill like a 68 RS all blacked out or like a late 70s earely 80s Z28
Me too. A friend of mine in high school had a killer blue '68 RS that he restored, then ruined when he tried back-halfing it for tubs. I almost bought a silver '68 'vert when I turned 16 but my Dad didn't want to mess with the insurance OR the 307 V8. I figured if the car had made it 28 years on the original engine, how bad could that 307 have been?

I wound up with a Spectrum instead, but at least I had a car! Or some resemblance of one...

Quick Reply: NEW Camaro to make its debut