The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

"New GM" doesn't honor repairs on "Old GM"

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
This thread should go downhill quickly.....
But hopefully NOT our "warranties & /or powertrain warranties"........

edit: Just got off the phone with my local dealer, he said no problems on the warranty. I'm covered.

I don't think this is warranty related..(as Chevy Mgr stated)....
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
It gets worse. My father passed away last month and I've been going through his finances for my Mom. He had a couple thousand shares of GM stock which were worth quite a lot a few years ago. The old GM took all the assests (the stockholders owned) and "sold" them to this new GM and left the shareholders behind holding the bag. They actually "cancelled" the stock so that now it isn't worth one red cent. You can pass any laws you want and create fancy words to explain it, but it is still theft.

Because of this, I will never purchase a GM vehicle again. It also adds one more reason to the many that have already convinced me never to vote for another Republican.

Rag on me if you like, but I dare you to trade places.
Why did they sell 2+ years ago when the entire world knew GM was filing BK and the world knew the current shares would be worthless afterwards? No stocks from a company filling for BK is worth anything afterwards.

Obama a republican?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
It gets worse. My father passed away last month and I've been going through his finances for my Mom. He had a couple thousand shares of GM stock which were worth quite a lot a few years ago. The old GM took all the assests (the stockholders owned) and "sold" them to this new GM and left the shareholders behind holding the bag. They actually "cancelled" the stock so that now it isn't worth one red cent. You can pass any laws you want and create fancy words to explain it, but it is still theft.

Because of this, I will never purchase a GM vehicle again. It also adds one more reason to the many that have already convinced me never to vote for another Republican.

Rag on me if you like, but I dare you to trade places.
My mother's retirement was mostly based on GM stock. Fortunately, there were some other options. But, in a sense, her assets were seized and sold to someone else. I understand why you might not vote Republican, but I believe there were some Democrats involved in that too. I won't vote for either.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Deceased

"Obama a republican"

I was in France back in February, but I'm pretty sure Le Monde would have mentioned something about this, go figure...leave the country for a few days and this happens, what next?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 AM

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that if your car is financed, and you experience warranty problems, you can dump it back on the financer. I believe it is one of the many consumer protection laws.

Can anyone clarify this?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Deceased

In a word "no". Lemon laws vary by state, but they all require you to receive a letter of discharge from the lien holder before returning the vehicle to the dealer or manufacturer. Just telling the lien holder that the vehicle is defective and you are no longer paying for it/giving them the title, does not absolve you from your obligations to them as outlined in the loan agreement.

In other words, try it and you'll end up on the business end of a lawsuit seeking judgment against you for the amount of the loan and damages.

As an aside, GM is honoring all warranties in effect at the time of the Chapter 11 filing, they are obligated by federal law to do so. All lawsuits in effect at the time of the filing do become null and void under the provisions of Chapter 11 of the U.S. Code.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
As an aside, GM is honoring all warranties in effect at the time of the Chapter 11 filing, they are obligated by federal law to do so.
Yes, & my local Dealer (on the phone) just confirmed the same thing..
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Deceased

I can understand Jeff's anger and disillusionment, GM was always one of the corporate giants and at one time the largest company in the world, it was never going to fail...but it did. I got rid of my GM stock in 2001 because even then I saw the writing on the wall, and my broker agreed with me. Sadly, too many people took a financial bath when the stock became worthless, like me they probably grew up believing GM would never go under and that the stock would always be a good rock solid investment.

Things change, 25 years ago the concept of GM filing for Chapter 11 would have been laughable to anyone with half a brain, but they did and there is no going back. At least under reorganization, warranties will be honored, parts are available, and resale values haven't gone down the toilet. Just imagine if GM had closed its doors and gone out of business, where would millions of people be except stuck driving worthless cars and trucks.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:10 AM

Nobody said anything about factory or extended warranties. They are saying they are not responsible to any design error that causes need for repair.

Basically any GM car built prior to 09 that develops an issue that is related to design, manufacturing, etc. will not be recalled.

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Did you guys read the article? It says New GM lawyers are stating that they can't be sued because of vehicles made by Old GM. It doesn't say they are not honoring warranties.

Post up if you have been denied warranty service on your pre-bankruptcy vehicle, other than for legit reasons such as mods or non defects.

When did Obama become a republican?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:18 AM

"Basically any GM car built prior to 09 that develops an issue that is related to design, manufacturing, etc. will not be recalled."

In other words the HHR steering motor......

Quick Reply: "New GM" doesn't honor repairs on "Old GM"