The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

New hobby

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM

New hobby

I've been into small 2 channel RC planes for a while, but decided it was time to move up. Unfortunately my yard doesn't' allow me to go bigger and better in planes, so I have decided to give RC Helicopters a whirl. I've flown the Air hog Havoc Helli for a while, and have some experience on other 2 channel Helli's. After a lot of research I've decided the Blade CP Pro is the Helli for me. I hope it is not too advanced for my experience, but I'm a quick learner, and have previous flying experience, just not with a Helli this maneuverable. I have spent a lot of time on a flight sim also, and I fully understand how a helicopter flies, and about cyclic, collective, and so on. So I'm hoping I'm not in over my head, and of course will be taking it very slow at first to get the hang of it. Wish me luck, and hope I don't destroy a $200 helicopter right off the bat
Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM

I've had R/C trucks for a while and I have been thinking of getting into helicopters as well. I've been looking into the Heli-Max Axe CP for my first one.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:10 PM

We fly a HIROBO copter at work all the time...it is for indoor use only, but we've taking it outside on the soccer field near by on calm days.

very tricky to get used to...but once you get the hang of it, they are fun...especially practicing landings in small pedastal-type areas.

it would be grat if they had a 'pause' mode to stop in mid-air!

here is a great source for replacement parts

http://www.ecsvr.com/mta/shopdisplay...elicopter+Kits
Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM

Sounds like a fun hobby, Mizzou! Are they able to withstand sudden drops out of the sky? Before the days of R/C, I had a plane that was held together with rubber bands so that when it crashed (which I managed to do often) you could just put it back together and fly it again.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 PM

LOL... same here... I bought a Blade CX2 last week. Been 25 years since I've flown the RC planes and I thought this would be a good substitue

Radds was recomended to me http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

Follwing his 'flight school' you won't be doing anything neat as soon as you want to, but it will save your little heli
Old 01-29-2008, 03:38 PM

COOL!!!!

I've always been tempted to get a nice RC plane or helicoptor... I've always stuck with RC vehicles to this point

But I am a HUGE Microsoft Flight Simulator junkie... cheaper hobby and less expensive when I crash...

Last edited by Big Kahuna; 01-29-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:57 PM

I've got a couple of RC gliders.

Haven't flown them in years though. Would like to get back into it again, now that I have a vehicle with enough room to transport them.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:52 AM

I have had one other gas Heli and also electric. I sold them due to repairs lol. I bought a Blade CX2 last year and haven't missed a beat. It's VERY forgiving and fun to fly. Last week my mother-in-law (who was poluted with the idea from my wife) decided to buy me a new RC car. I have had a Losi nitro car but wanted an indoor electric. Well the Team Associated it a WONDERFUL car but too fast for indoors!

Old 02-02-2008, 01:25 PM

My dad has been flying R/C planes in St Louis for years. There's a county park off I-44 in Fenton designated just for R/C planes.

Now a days, he spends most of his time building them. That's a thing since he tends to crash them often!
Old 02-02-2008, 06:00 PM

I have a s-10 4x4 stadium racer, a 2wd buggie, a Dolfin sailboat and ViperR boat. All of these are electric R/C Models. I really enjoy sailing to relax my nerves... After one of them days in the office or on the road.

And I am a Microsoft Flight Simulator junkie also and like to fly into the locations I actually visit. I would like to try a plane or Helo.

Quick Reply: New hobby