The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

New project car

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

New project car

My mother made it offical today. She is giving me her '72 Malibu for my birthday. The car has the original 350 4 barrel with automatic transmission. The cars body and interior is pretty rough because it has been her daily driver car for like 15 years. She had to give it up and I have been bothering her to give it to me rather than selling it. She saw how much I missed having a muscle car even though I love my HHR so she finaly gave in. I don't think my HHR is going to get to much in the way of performance mods now. I'll still do intake and exhaust and so forth but nothing major. I have worked on a lot of cars and done a lot of things to them in my short time on earth but this will be the first time I am going to do a total restoration. I am looking forward to all of the new skills I will aquire though the project. Some other cool stuff about the car is it has a factory original cowl induction hood, the engine has been recently rebuilt, the transmission has recently been rebuilt, the carborator has recently been rebuilt, and she already had a disc brake conversion kit put on. I am definitely going to redo it pro-mod style. It has a nasty vinyl roof on it that has to go. The colors definitely have to go. It is dark brown with a tan vinyl roof. I can't wait to get it back to my house to start ripping it apart. I will post pics once I get it to my house but I'll warn you ahead of time its not too pretty right now. 72Mark I might need some advise out of you someday. It's going to be a good birthday for me. Now I have something cool to go on the Hot Rod Power Tour with someday. That has always been one of my dreams. I guess I'm becoming a Chevy guy more and more. Maybe someday I'll have to get the Mustang tattoo lasered off. Nah, I just need to buy another Mustang to match my ink.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:29 PM

Congrats man!! I'm still lookin' for a '72 Monte Carlo.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:02 PM

Congratulations, I am glad you got the Chevelle My husband just finished restoring a 72 SS for a guy. He installed aftermarket air and did a full body-off restoration. The owner of the car is the original owner and decided to have it redone. It is the original color which is gold. The owner originally ordered it without the SS stripes, he thought it looked better. But my husband talked him into painting black SS stripes on it. It really looks sweet. If I get a chance, I'll take some photos and post them in this thread for you.

BTW, we have a 67 Chevelle, a 66 SS Chevelle, our son has a 69 Chevelle and I have a 67 SS/RS convertable Camaro as well as the HHR. We are a Chevy family through and through.

Becky
Old 02-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Banned

The funny thing about it is I only drove the car once in my life. My mom didn't like my heavy foot behind her car. The tires were squealing nonstop. Now she can't stop me. I have always thought the car would look nice in all black or black with red striping. I'm not going to be one of those people to make an SS clone. I can't say that some SS parts wont end up on it or that someday it might house a 454. I personally hate when people clone vehicles. I would like to bring it a little more up to date with fuel injection and ABS and so forth. I figure if I'm going ground up I might as well go custom pro-mod. Knowing the way I get around to my projects it will take me a couple of years to finish. Like I said I will have to learn some new stuff but luckally enough I know a bunch of people to help me and I work at a machine shop so I can have just about anything I need made plus get my heads ported and so forth. I don't even know at this point if I will keep the factory engine. The good thing is anything I decide to not keep on it I'm sure if I list the parts on Ebay people will buy them. Lot's of people unlike me care about keeping the car original or as close to it a possible.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:27 PM

My father's 2000 Chevy Mailibu I was thinking to redo as a project car myself. It needs plenty of body work, tons of dent's dings, statches, it has 61K miles on it. But it would not be the same as your 72. To me its the last car my father owned. Now its my mom's whip. However it could use an overhauling if you know what i mean.