The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

New Seatbelt LAw as of Sept. 1st

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 PM

New Seatbelt LAw as of Sept. 1st

This sucks
http://www.twentypeacefulminutes.com...mber-1st-1927/
Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 PM

My 2 cents - common sense should not be legislated. Personally even if it wasn't law in Cali I'd still make sure all riders on board my ride are strapped in. I feel nekked without em.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Banned

I thought this was already a federal law. I agree with it as I'm sick and tired of over $125 per vehicle in Mich. when buying licience plates is required to pay for the idiots who end up more brain dead then when they started after a wreck as they didn't have insurance and didn't bother to wear their seat belts.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM

That law was put into effect about 20 years ago in New York State. I was against it for years and guess I still am, although I now find that I really do feel more comfortable wearing it.

In fact, I'm so used to it that I sorta thought all states had that rule. I've heard all of the pros and cons, including the fact that a seat belt can actually trap you in a firey crash, or you might be better off thrown out, etc. I'm sure the fact is that they do save lives. It all comes down to someone telling you how to live your life. For instance, both Ohio and PA don't have motorcycle helmet laws. It looks cool not wearing one, but you can be sure they save lives, reduce insurance premiums, etc.

All of the above will be debated forever and there will always be two sides to the issue.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM

I got cut off at a light by an undercover detective in my Beretta GT about 12 years ago.
There was a car-jacking down the street that day but...that's no way to pull someone over!
I centerpunched a pole at 40MPH - no brakes.
I never wore my belt back then so I broke the steering column off the rack with my nose.
Let me put that another way, I broke four 1/4-20 bolts at once with my nose.
It was obviously a mess and needed to be rebroken when it was healed enough and a q-tip jammed around up in there to mold/form a clear airway.
Ouch, ouch and ****ing ouch!

I learned my lesson the (relatively) easy way.
I have dead friends that might still be alive if they wore their belts.
I really got lucky as I've wrecked close to 20 cars myself.

I ALWAYS wear my belt now.
Even to go to the Cumby's down the street for a snack or smokes.
I don't turn the ignition on until everyone in my car is belted.
YMMV but I don't care if it's a law or not.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:58 PM

I'm not worried about being trapped in a fiery crash.
I wear Carhartts all year round, Carhartt shorts in the summer.
I always wear a S&W Special Tactical SWAT knife in my right leg pocket and my cell phone in my left.
They've been there for about 8 years and have never gotten lost.

The S&W will go through belt straps like butta

A good Boy Scout is always prepared, a good warrior is always prepared to help others too.
I was never a boy scout (booted from Explorers) but I almost always help others when I can.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 PM

Don't forget this is for your safety. Not the insurance company, or some piece of crap attorney. They really care that you are safe. Just like the traffic cameras they put at the dangerous intersections. What do you hear the most on the news? How many less accidents, or how more safe it is now. Or, how much $$$ they raked in with those things? It's all about the money.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 PM

I'm pretty sure Michigan is only the front seats, and children under 16. Anyone under 16 in the back doesn't have to wear one. I don't know why you wouldn't though!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:12 AM

Seat belts in Texas? Wow. What next? Warning labels on cigarettes?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:31 AM

Here's my take on this. I think this law is ridiclious. Here's why:

If I choose not to wear my seatbelt, that should be my own perogative. I am not hurting anybody or anything bu not wearing my seatbelt. They should not be taking my choice away from me if I choose not to do the smart thing and wear one. Pretty soon we will all be told when we are allowed to go to the bathroom. With that being said, I wear my seatbelt always anyway. Just stating the obvious.

Quick Reply: New Seatbelt LAw as of Sept. 1st