The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

New Seatbelt LAw as of Sept. 1st

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:37 PM

I always wear my seatbelt too.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by donbb82
I know I will get some heat on this one, BUT why is it mandatory that we need to wear seat belts and motorcyclists do not have to wear helmets??
Strong Lobby.

It started way back when Reagan was in bed with Harley-Davidson.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Founding Member

I wear a helmet on my porch.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...3784&page=4#37
Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 AM

A law doesn't mean anything. I have family down in a AR, even if its a law alot of folks won't bother.

Whatever there choice is they have to live with it, until they go through the windshield.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 AM

I don't get it. People don't this law, but like the one in another thread about texting! With others doing so many stupid this like texting, putting on make-up, etc...I don't see anything wrong with requiring me to wear a seatbelt to protect me from other peoples stupidity!

Missouri is trying to do away with the helmet law too, and I think it's just wrong. Laws are not for the people with common sense and good judgement. They are their to protect the people who either just don't care or are too stupid to understand and therefore protect all of us!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
I don't get it. People don't this law, but like the one in another thread about texting! With others doing so many stupid this like texting, putting on make-up, etc...I don't see anything wrong with requiring me to wear a seatbelt to protect me from other peoples stupidity!

Missouri is trying to do away with the helmet law too, and I think it's just wrong. Laws are not for the people with common sense and good judgement. They are their to protect the people who either just don't care or are too stupid to understand and therefore protect all of us!
Maybe the next time some asks why they should be required to wear a seatbelt, show them that link.......
Old 08-26-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR

The problem with a lot of these laws are that they are used for revenue enhancement. Overzealous enforcement officers and cash strapped municipalities abuse them to substitute for shrinking revenues. One of the main reasons that the seatbelt law was repealed for a short time in Mass was that roadblocks were set up to check for seatbelt violations, even though they were not allowed by the very law they were enforcing.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by mgfred
The problem with a lot of these laws are that they are used for revenue enhancement. Overzealous enforcement officers and cash strapped municipalities abuse them to substitute for shrinking revenues. One of the main reasons that the seatbelt law was repealed for a short time in Mass was that roadblocks were set up to check for seatbelt violations, even though they were not allowed by the very law they were enforcing.
If we eliminated laws which were abused, we would be left with few laws. IMO, not a good en ought reason not to have the law. When abuse if found it should be addressed, the law may need to be adjusted, but laws like this shouldn't be eliminated.

My Mom is a perfect example of why having laws like this are important. She HATES to wear a seatbelt. She did not begin to wear one until the law went into effect. She also happens to have an issue with seizures, not to mention she is a bad driver to begin with. If the law had not been made and seat belts were optional, she would never use it. So if she had another accident, she has had a few, she would likely be more seriously injured. She only wears it because the law says she has too.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 09_SS
This is my only problem w/ making you wear seatbelts. WI just passed where you can get pulled over for not having them on, but motorcyclist dont need helmets. At least i have a windshield and and stearing wheel to keep me in the vehicle. But i guess a helmet for a motorcyclist in a severe accident is only the difference between and open or closed casket. I always were my seatbelt no matter what and have even got my wife to do the same. When we first started dating she never wore hers, now she always does cuz I would bug her and/or stop in the middle of the road until she put it on. I think everyone should wear them, but it is not the governments job to take away our choice. Whats next helmets in the car? Maybe when traveling over a certain speed? I bet we could save even more lives if people were required to wear helmets in a vehicle.
Or my favorite - Seat belt law - helmet law - and then you see a pickup truck with 4 people loaded in the bed, sitting on the side of the fenders. Of course, it's possible they could all bounce out and have no brain damage.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:50 PM

This morning I saw a guy in his van driving towards me with his head down. He was looking at his cell phone (I assume he was texting). He was driving in his lane & we didn't have a head-on wreck, but it was a little sketchy.
PS I always wear my seat belts. Always have. I'd wear a helmet too (if I rode a street bike). Seems like common sense to me.

Quick Reply: New Seatbelt LAw as of Sept. 1st