The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

New Seatbelt LAw as of Sept. 1st

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AJochum
Or my favorite - Seat belt law - helmet law - and then you see a pickup truck with 4 people loaded in the bed, sitting on the side of the fenders. Of course, it's possible they could all bounce out and have no brain damage.
Acording to a Texas law enforcement officer, on another forum, that is one of the reasons why the new Texas law is in place. That, and having pick-ups or vans occupied by a larger group than the vehicle was designed for.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Ask my son if he belives in seat belts everything in his car came out.The next day we went back and found his ipod,camera and other small things 300ft away from the car his wallet even came out of his pocket and got ejected.

In the one pic you can see the back seat sticking out the window.All he had was a small cut on his nose and a big purple seat belt mark on his chest.
Attached Images    
Old 08-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by NxlKing2304
Here's my take on this. I think this law is ridiclious. Here's why:

If I choose not to wear my seatbelt, that should be my own perogative. I am not hurting anybody or anything bu not wearing my seatbelt. They should not be taking my choice away from me if I choose not to do the smart thing and wear one. Pretty soon we will all be told when we are allowed to go to the bathroom. With that being said, I wear my seatbelt always anyway. Just stating the obvious.
I'm glad for you and your family that you do wear your belt. But there is a flaw with your reasoning that your choice affects no one. When your head is plastered all over the pavement and parts of your body are scattered at an accident scene, someone in law enforcement has to clean it up. I guess if I was in law enforcement, I'd be in favor of the seat belt law for that reason alone. Then of course there is the impact it has on your family.

I knew a guy who didn't believe in wearing his seat belt. Someone cut in front of him at an intersection, he was only doing 25. It was a residential area. Both he and his daughter went through the windshield. He was off work for several months. 18 months later he was still pulling little pieces of glass out of his head. He was lucky. He wears his seat belt now.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
I'm glad for you and your family that you do wear your belt. But there is a flaw with your reasoning that your choice affects no one. When your head is plastered all over the pavement and parts of your body are scattered at an accident scene, someone in law enforcement has to clean it up. I guess if I was in law enforcement, I'd be in favor of the seat belt law for that reason alone. Then of course there is the impact it has on your family.

I knew a guy who didn't believe in wearing his seat belt. Someone cut in front of him at an intersection, he was only doing 25. It was a residential area. Both he and his daughter went through the windshield. He was off work for several months. 18 months later he was still pulling little pieces of glass out of his head. He was lucky. He wears his seat belt now.
Well said!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by AJochum
Or my favorite - Seat belt law - helmet law - and then you see a pickup truck with 4 people loaded in the bed, sitting on the side of the fenders. Of course, it's possible they could all bounce out and have no brain damage.
haha ya in WI you can ride in the back of a pickup if you are in the city and going under 35 mph I believe it is. But the people in the front need a seat belt. I am agianst the madatory seat belt although I always wear mine all the time. Not to go political but if the gov. controls healthcare they will be able to make even more crazy stuff mandatory, like helmets. They can use the "keep the cost of health care down" argument. So I will take the seatbelt law if stays at only seatbelts.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 AM

I dont think anyone really got the whole concept of this, It was saying that now the seat belts will be required in the backseat as well now. I believe that was the only change.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by gcsd3742
I dont think anyone really got the whole concept of this, It was saying that now the seat belts will be required in the backseat as well now. I believe that was the only change.
Right. And kids have to be in an approved child seat until they are 4'9"
Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Right. And kids have to be in an approved child seat until they are 4'9"
57"

You can ride any major roller coaster at 54"

My 8 year old son isn't that tall yet and there isn't a child seat I know of he would fit in.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Jeff®
57"

You can ride any major roller coaster at 54"

My 8 year old son isn't that tall yet and there isn't a child seat I know of he would fit in.
Yes, I am thinking that was a misprint, but who knows....everything is bigger in Texas.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:31 PM

The Heck with the seatbelt laws. The way I look at it, there are waaayyyy too many idiots on the highway already. If they don't have brains enough to wear seatbelts, then hopefully they'll become a statistic before they breed.

Same deal for cellphone/texting laws. We don't need some new law. There is already a law in every state regarding "Reckless Driving". Contact your local mayor, city councilman and tell them pass a city ordinance requiring the police start writing reckless driving tickets to anybody on a cell phone. In most states this is a moving violation that has max points, and in some states it is a felony. Seems like this ought to work.

Quick Reply: New Seatbelt LAw as of Sept. 1st