The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

No more GM Performance/SS Division

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ScreaminBlkSS
So, can we assume the specs on the HHR SS will remain the same threw the remaining build years ? No performance division = no more advances. no changes ? Will the 2009 guys even get a stage kit with the performance division shut down ?
So the SS may be as good as it will ever be, right now.

What do you think ?

I feel the 09 stage kit is still good, no reason for it not to come to market as it will make money.

As for the HHR I would say since GM needs money to bring out new models little will be spent on the old. The HHR is selling well and needs less attention than many other models.

As I have stated before don't get to upset on the GMPD as it was made clear GM has intentions to return to this in the future and pointed out the key people are still working on the entire line up.

Who better to tune the suspention on a Chevy Cruze than a Ex GMPD engineer. Look for specail options that will make it interesting.

This is just GM's PC way to appeal to the DC BS. Nothing more.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 PM

New Guy with a Question

I just got done reading a post from my Autoweek about some dishearting news at GM. GM has disbanded the High Performance Vehicle Operations until further notice. This info is what is bringing about my question. I am looking to replace my current car with an SS. Does anyone know if Chevrolet will be producing the HHR SS next year (since the platform currently exists) or will this be the last year for it? Any knowledge or where to find out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 PM

Yes, there should be a 2010 and 2011 HHR SS.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 PM

Yeah, from my understanding, everything that is currently being made will continue to be made, and they will phase out the SS line as the models are discontinued. So once the HHR is no longer in production, obviously there will be no more SS for it. Also, they won't then make a Cruize SS when that model comes out.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 PM

The Camaro SS is still a go and there is a good chance the Z28 will still show up before the end of the Camaro on the Zeta in 2016. .
Old 02-20-2009, 01:18 PM

There are certain models which do not fall under GMHPVO, and will still be made:
Pontiac GXP's (G6, Solstice, G8)
Corvette Z06 and ZR1
Camaro SS

The ones that will expire when their product lines expire:
Cobalt SS
HHR SS
Cadillac CTS-V
Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Founding Member

I got this off the cobaltss.net site. Put's a different twist on this thread. Now there was no source for this story, so I can't vouch for it's validity but it does have a lot of known facts in it.

DETROIT - There's a bit of confusion following Automotive News' report Wednesday that General Motors has shut down its High Performance Vehicle Operations. HPVO's 60 engineers have been moved to other projects, mostly alternative fuel/powerplant vehicles and getting better fuel mileage out of conventional internal combustion engines, for example.

GM will continue to produce low-volume performance cars that have been designed, including the Cadillac CTS-v sedan, Chevrolet Cobalt SS and HHR SS and, of course, the Australian-sourced Pontiac G8 GXP. Spokesman Vince Muniga likens it to Ford's shutdown of its Special Vehicle Team about three years ago. Ford has just unveiled SVT versions of the F-150 (Raptor) and 2010 Taurus (SHO).

And because the CTS-v sedan has been on sale for several months, there's a good chance you'll be able to buy a CTS-v coupe some time in 2011, following the 3.6-liter V-6-powered coupe's planned launch in late 2010.

Corvette engineering and design were never part of HPVO, so ZR-1, Z06 and even Camaro SS production are not affected. We've reported, however, that Chevrolet's Z/28 version of the Camaro, which would have used the CTS-v's engine/tuning, is on indefinite hold.

So what does this "hiatus" affect? Mostly future product that would have gone through the HPVO pipeline. Frankly, that makes this almost a non-story, as cash-strapped GM has put much of its future product on hold in order to get the 2011 Chevrolet Volt and Cruze on the market (the new Opel Insignia, just launched in Europe, too). You were expecting, maybe, a Volt SS or Cruze SS?

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=156695
Old 02-20-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I got this off the cobaltss.net site. Put's a different twist on this thread. Now there was no source for this story, so I can't vouch for it's validity but it does have a lot of known facts in it.

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=156695
This is accurate info.

Like I have been saying this is more a move to make Washington happy while asking for money.

NONE of the present cars are affected. They will continue to build out the Cobalt and HHR SS till they are done.

The V series CTS will continue but the XLR will soon die.

THe G8 GXP is coming in 09 as well as the Camaro in SS v8 mode.

The Vette is under its own team and is on hold for the C7.

The Z28 is on hold and ready to go when ever they deem they can do it with out any bad press and money is available to market it.

There really were no performance cars planned for the next few years do if we lose a few years it will not matter. There was never a Cruze SS planned.

GM has some Tubo V6 and 4 cylinders planned that will carry plenty of power for some of the coming cars. Opel even has a twin turbo V6 to counter Fords Ecoboost.

The Camaro is expected to live on the Zeta till 2016.

The Sky is not falling it is just being discontinued in 2012 or about.

We will still have some fun cars and not as much has changed as some think.

The economy is the wild card and will have more bearing on the future products as anything will. Even GM can not predict that.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 02-20-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: admin edit
Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 PM

Unhappy GM Cancels All Future High-Performance Vehicles

Dateline: Feb 19, 2009
US NEWS & World Report

"Faced with the need to restructure in order to survive, General Motors has disbanded its High Performance Vehicle Operations unit - the team of engineers behind some of the company's most critically successful cars."

"GM's High Performance Vehicle Operations team built some of the best. The group's recent hits include the surprisingly good Cobalt SS and HHR SS."

More at:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...ance-Vehicles/
Old 02-20-2009, 09:30 PM

Even though the SS is still in production, my guess is its days are numbered. I say this because the more taxpayer money the Feds "invest" in GM, the more Pres. Obama's "car czar board" will control what GM's product portfolio looks like.

You can bet the populist liberals who control Congress aren't going to care much for products like the HHR SS.

If you want an SS and you can scrape up the money. Now's the time to buy.

Quick Reply: No more GM Performance/SS Division