The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

No more Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:13 AM

No more Smoke

Well I guess Smoke is going to be in a Toyota next year....that sucks! Will be rooting for the Hendrick and Childress boys next year I guess.

Jim
Old 09-06-2007, 07:54 AM

I wonder how much money Yota tossed their way to make that happen?

Can't picture Tony in a "Camry".
Old 09-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Banned

Does that mean Dale Jr. is going to be in a Toyota too?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:03 PM

Jr is going to Hendrick, isn't he? They're still wearin bow ties.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:32 PM

Geez, folks, if you realize the "reality" of today's NASCAR, you'd know that Tony will not be driving a Camry, nor will Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Johnson, Jr. and others be driving a "Chevy".

There is absolutely NOTHING related between the race cars and the street cars other than the name.

The only items made by any of the manufacturers are specific to racing and include blocks, heads, intakes and a few other pieces that are controlled and approved by NASCAR and have absolutely nothing to do with production pieces.

It's all about "marketing the brand" now. Not really sure if that's good or bad.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:52 PM

I know that, but still it irks me.

Hopefully (or not) they'll hav better luck than they do in Formula 1....they spend the most of any team and really have nothing to show for it.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 PM

Of course Tony Stewart is not driving a Camry, but he is driving a race car that bears the Toyota name, which I don't care for. I'm not a fan of Toyota, never have been. I'm very loyal to GM. That's what I chose to own, and what I chose to root for in racing. Call me old fashion or silly (happens all the time ) but that's the way I am. Yes the cars are not Chevy's or Fords or Toyota's, but they do bear the brand name of those companies, and that's a part of the rivalries of racing. Just my
Old 09-06-2007, 06:58 PM

Geez...scare me with the title of the thread. For a minute I thought I might have been banned or something because I just got home driving "Smoke".

I really don't understand what all the hoopla is about...but people reacted the same way when Dodge returned to racing as well...and also did the same thing when Toyota came to the Craftsman Truck series. The cars next year will the the COT (Car Of Tomorrow/Today), whatever you want to call it and they will all have common bodies, just different power plants. Joe Gibbs is a very intelligent man and would not do this just for the money. He's got a gold mine already with his drivers for next year, so I don't believe it's financially motivated either.

I don't find this any worse than all the owners who are adding foreign partners to help fund their organizations...what's the difference really? Evernham Motorsports is now partially owned by George Gillett and Gillett is the owner of the Montreal Canadiens National Hockey League (NHL) team and a co-owner of the Liverpool Football Club in the English Premier League. (that's foreign...not USA)

NASCAR is not all about the good ole boys now and hasn't been for quite some time. Who really cares what kind of vehicle he drives...I sure don't. I follow Tony the race car driver...not Tony the Chevrolet driver. Personally, I don't care if his car is blue with green polka dots and is a Volkswagon beetle....he's still my driver...and if he's ok with the change, then so am I.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:01 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
Of course Tony Stewart is not driving a Camry, but he is driving a race car that bears the Toyota name, which I don't care for. I'm not a fan of Toyota, never have been. I'm very loyal to GM. That's what I chose to own, and what I chose to root for in racing. Call me old fashion or silly (happens all the time ) but that's the way I am. Yes the cars are not Chevy's or Fords or Toyota's, but they do bear the brand name of those companies, and that's a part of the rivalries of racing. Just my
hey 'mizzouHHR'...I agree with EVERYTHING you just said!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:23 PM

Whats a Nascar?

If it don't go straight and fast, it is not the NHRA..... I forgot....................... that I used to race in circles also... oops..

Quick Reply: No more Smoke