The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Now this is DUMB*I have a better idea!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Founding Member

Now this is DUMB*I have a better idea!

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAN DIEGO — Officials in San Diego are hoping that a dog's bark is worse than its bite.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports the city plans to seek court permission to use recordings of barking dogs to discourage seals from taking up residence at the popular Children's Pool beach in La Jolla.

It's part of an annual $700,000 plan to disperse about 200 seals at the beach.

Marine experts say the seals likely will adjust to the noise, but city officials say their backup plan is to add other sounds and spray the seals with water.

Animal rights activists say they'll oppose the plan.

$700,000 I got a better idea. They pay me half ($350,000) and I will walk up and down the beach with my dog every day. She barks for no apparent reason anyway. This will save them $350,000 and I never have to work again.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:55 PM

Ha ha... I agree with you!!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:13 PM

This has been an ongoing battle for years, the La Jolla Childrens Beach was deeded to the city decades ago as a protected space so that children go enjoy the beach (it's a protected cove from the waves). But over the years the seals have moved in and turned it into a pupping area (baby seals). Now the water is too poluted with seal feces for humans to use. The City wants to remove the seals and dredge and clean the sand so it is safe for humans.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:16 PM

Cool Brad--then you can join the SoCal group for g2g's!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by JimZ_HHR
This has been an ongoing battle for years, the La Jolla Childrens Beach was deeded to the city decades ago as a protected space so that children go enjoy the beach (it's a protected cove from the waves). But over the years the seals have moved in and turned it into a pupping area (baby seals). Now the water is too poluted with seal feces for humans to use. The City wants to remove the seals and dredge and clean the sand so it is safe for humans.
...And the pro Sealer's want to keep it for the Seals. ChevyMgr, the problem with your solution is by law you as human are not allowed to interfere with the goings on of the colony (ie you can't get too close to the colony). I remember back in the 70's when that seal colony called home a table rock between the Sea wall and La Jolla Cove. For late night tourists they had a small spot light just bright enough that you could make out the outline of the seals at night.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by JimZ_HHR
Now the water is too poluted with seal feces for humans to use.
seal poop swimming...I see a reality show coming

Originally Posted by afs9
Cool Brad--then you can join the SoCal group for g2g's!
I am trying to find an email for San Diego city hall. If they agree I will be there in a month!

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
...And the pro Sealer's want to keep it for the Seals. ChevyMgr, the problem with your solution is by law you as human are not allowed to interfere with the goings on of the colony
I'm a pro sealer as long as were talking oil pans, valve covers and transmission gaskets.

I know this won't make some happy but, I don't think animals have more rights than humans. I like animals, but if I am starving I know somethings going to get eaten and it aint me.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:11 PM

California is noting a but a long beach, I think if people just watch their kids at any other beach, they can leave 1 spot for the seals who have obviously taken up residence there! Where the hell are they supposed to go to pup if the whole shoreline is going to be designated for people only, and who is going to direct traffic for the seals to let them know where they are "allowed" to go? I am far from a animal activist, I think are pretty ridiculous most of the time, but people are idiots around here.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Founding Member

So the story states it is a popular childrens beach but by whats being posted it isn't or hasn't been for a while?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:38 PM

Oh, I don't know - how about we just kill them? $700,000 vrs. $200 in ammo, I'll vote for the ammo. I think seals are cute, but not $700,000 per year. I think they would be better off importing a colony of sea lions to the cove. Problem solved with the seals. Then bring in a pod of Orcas, the sea lions are gone. And every one knows that Shamu and humans get along great. Start dredging, and the Orcas will leave the area.

Problem solved.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:43 AM

Send in a bunch of Newfies! They will take care of the seals, and we can get some great hats and boots out of it too!

Quick Reply: Now this is DUMB*I have a better idea!