The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Oi!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 PM

Talking Oi!

Hi, everybody!

I have been on the hunt for a new ride and have narrowed down my choices to the Jeep Patriot and the HHR. Both offer excellent mileage and reliability, but in my book, the HHR wins in terms of styling and price. The main questions I have are in regards to:

Seating / Cargo Capacity
and
Handling

The next vehicle I choose must have enough room for hubz, our pups, and me (we love taking road trips) and must handle the road well, especially considering that we're going to move from Florida to Colorado in a few years.

As a side note, I've been driving a Chevy Cavalier for the last five years (got it brand new in 2002) and I gotta tell ya, it's been nothing but good to me... and that shines a flattering light on Chevy even in the midst of naysayers who swear off domestic cars as a whole.

So, I'm here to make new friends and learn more about the HHR. Hopefully you guys & gals can help me make the right decision once 2008 rolls around...

Nice to "meet" ya!
meg
Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 PM

to the forum! For a small car, the cargo capacity is great. You'll be surprised just how much you can pack into one. I looked at several different cars including the PT Cruiser, and they didn't offer the combination of room and economy as the HHR, which was a major selling point. Seating capacity is limited, but it is a small car. We are a family of four (myself, wife, 9 year old boy, 4 year old girl) and we are quite comfy, with room to spare. The rear seats fold flat for extra room as well. Just a tip to keep in mind when looking at HHR's. Buy one with running boards, or you will have paint damage on the lower part of the car in front of the rear wheels. Plus it looks much better IMO. Happy car hunting!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:38 PM

This is Tess. This is a little off the subject and not much help to you but when Tess and I where looking at vehicles we very briefly looked at Jeeps (not well) but my point is if all the facts come to a tie, the HHR wins on unique looks alone over the jeep.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Old Ray

This is Tess. This is a little off the subject and not much help to you but when Tess and I where looking at vehicles we very briefly looked at Jeeps (not well) but my point is if all the facts come to a tie, the HHR wins on unique looks alone over the jeep.
First of all, Tess is GORGEOUS!!! Our little Angus would definitely have a crush on her!

I completely agree about the HHR winning over the Jeep in the looks category ~ the first time I saw the HHR, my jaw literally dropped. It is so classic and cool!

Well, here's a pic of our pups aka "Our Road Dogs" ~ they always accompany us on our vacations. They're both a little over one year old and the funny thing is, they won't be getting any bigger! (We call Sunny a "Mini Goldie!")

Sunny Ilena is the Golden Retriever and Angus Connery is the Border Collie:
Old 10-17-2007, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
to the forum! For a small car, the cargo capacity is great. You'll be surprised just how much you can pack into one. I looked at several different cars including the PT Cruiser, and they didn't offer the combination of room and economy as the HHR, which was a major selling point. Seating capacity is limited, but it is a small car. We are a family of four (myself, wife, 9 year old boy, 4 year old girl) and we are quite comfy, with room to spare. The rear seats fold flat for extra room as well. Just a tip to keep in mind when looking at HHR's. Buy one with running boards, or you will have paint damage on the lower part of the car in front of the rear wheels. Plus it looks much better IMO. Happy car hunting!
Thank you!!!

P.S. "SEBASTIAN?!?!?" I love it!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:52 AM

Meg,
We also looked at the Patriot. The Patriot has classic Jeep styling and 4wd (may come in handy in Colorado) but for the money, the HHR has better styling (IMO) gets better gas mileage and handles surprisingly well. It actually handles pretty good in the snow. Definitely get the running boards. Seating cap. is ok and comfortable for a small car. Hauling cap. is very good - a few threads here on the board regarding what people have been hauling.
BTW... I am also owned by a BC
Old 10-17-2007, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by GCarp
Meg,
We also looked at the Patriot. The Patriot has classic Jeep styling and 4wd (may come in handy in Colorado) but for the money, the HHR has better styling (IMO) gets better gas mileage and handles surprisingly well. It actually handles pretty good in the snow. Definitely get the running boards. Seating cap. is ok and comfortable for a small car. Hauling cap. is very good - a few threads here on the board regarding what people have been hauling.
BTW... I am also owned by a BC
Thanks so much for the info!

Do you happen to remember how much of a difference in seating/cargo capacity there was between the Patriot and the HHR?

P.S. Border Collies RULE!!! (World's smartest dog, ya know!)
Old 10-17-2007, 07:23 AM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  7.8 KB

Here's a thread that may be of interest to you........

WHAT KIND OF PETS YALL GOT?

Originally Posted by MEGULA
P.S. Border Collies RULE!!! (World's smartest dog, ya know!)
What do you get when you add some JRT to BC? A very hyper and extremely smart Eddie!!

Last edited by jx3; 10-17-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:08 AM

First off...

To answer your question of difference in seating/cargo capacity:

Jeep Patriot:
Seats: 5
Cargo Capacity: 23cf with seats up, 62.7 with seats down.

Chevy HHR:
Seats: 5
Cargo Capacity: 57.7cf with rear seats down

There are ups and downs to both vehicles. Another member mentioned the Patriot's "classic Jeep styling," but I would like to ask which Jeep doesn't have the classic Jeep look?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by jx3

Here's a thread that may be of interest to you........

WHAT KIND OF PETS YALL GOT?

What do you get when you add some JRT to BC? A very hyper and extremely smart Eddie!!

ADORABLE!