The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Oi!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4
First off...

To answer your question of difference in seating/cargo capacity:

Jeep Patriot:
Seats: 5
Cargo Capacity: 23cf with seats up, 62.7 with seats down.

Chevy HHR:
Seats: 5
Cargo Capacity: 57.7cf with rear seats down

There are ups and downs to both vehicles. Another member mentioned the Patriot's "classic Jeep styling," but I would like to ask which Jeep doesn't have the classic Jeep look?
Not too much of a difference... do you know what the capacity is in the HHR with the seats up?

What Jeep doesn't have the "classic look?" The COMPASS!!! That thing is crazy and I cannot believe it's actually in the Jeep lineup!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by MEGULA
Not too much of a difference... do you know what the capacity is in the HHR with the seats up?

What Jeep doesn't have the "classic look?" The COMPASS!!! That thing is crazy and I cannot believe it's actually in the Jeep lineup!
While I can't answer this question with exact numbers, I will say that it holds quite a bit with the seats up. If you play or know anything about electric guitars and amps, I managed to fit a Mesa-Boogie half-stack in the very back without folding the seats down, which is impressive to me. It was difficult, but it did fit

And yes, I forgot about the Compass But if it had no badges on it, it still screams "I'm a JEEP!"
Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4
While I can't answer this question with exact numbers, I will say that it holds quite a bit with the seats up. If you play or know anything about electric guitars and amps, I managed to fit a Mesa-Boogie half-stack in the very back without folding the seats down, which is impressive to me. It was difficult, but it did fit

And yes, I forgot about the Compass But if it had no badges on it, it still screams "I'm a JEEP!"
Wow, you fit an MB back there? AWESOME!

Yeah, it does scream Jeep... with those obnoxious circular headlights.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 PM

Patriot = Dodge Caliber in Jeep clothing. Caliber, Compass, and Patriot all base off the same platform.

Only reason I could see to go with the Patriot is the option of all wheel drive, a valid consideration though, if a move to Colorado is planned.

Otherwise, its HHR all the way, but then I'm biased.

I have more faith in GM engines than I do Chrysler engines.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Patriot = Dodge Caliber in Jeep clothing. Caliber, Compass, and Patriot all base off the same platform.

Only reason I could see to go with the Patriot is the option of all wheel drive, a valid consideration though, if a move to Colorado is planned.

Otherwise, its HHR all the way, but then I'm biased.

I have more faith in GM engines than I do Chrysler engines.
Ya know, I wasn't even going to opt for a 4x4 with the Pat - hubz and I aren't "off roaders" and whether we went with a 4x2 or a 4x4, we'd still have to use chains on the tires for the snow!

The Pat is a nice rig (cheapest SUV on the market and has the best mileage) but can I really see myself in an SUV? Furthermore, when it's up against the HHR, it pales in comparison as far as styling alone is concerned. The HHR is just plain cool ~ the Patriot is a glorified Cherokee... nice, but certainly not unique.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:41 PM

Megula. I've been thinking. If you are truly across the universe from me, how are you getting around Einstein's theory and posting in real time? By theory, the Earth should be a barren dead planet by the time your posts arrive here at the speed of light, if the Sun doesn't take the Earth down with it when it blows in the billion years it should take for your messages to traverse inter-galactic space/time.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 PM

One more thing, back on topic... unless you want a 5-speed stick shift, make sure you're okay with living with a CVT transmission-- Patriot's automatic transmission is a CVT-- Continuosly Variable Transmission. Good concept, not so great implementation by some manufacturers. I know nothing of Chrysler's CVT, although I know the reviews of the Compass and the Patriot didn't give the CVT high marks. Nissan makes good CVT's. Chrysler, not so sure about.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM

Megula. I've been thinking. If you are truly across the universe from me, how are you getting around Einstein's theory and posting in real time? By theory, the Earth should be a barren dead planet by the time your posts arrive here at the speed of light, if the Sun doesn't take the Earth down with it when it blows in the billion years it should take for your messages to traverse inter-galactic space/time.
Elementary, my dear Watson... I use Comcast high speed internet.

HA!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:54 PM

One more thing, back on topic... unless you want a 5-speed stick shift, make sure you're okay with living with a CVT transmission-- Patriot's automatic transmission is a CVT-- Continuosly Variable Transmission. Good concept, not so great implementation by some manufacturers. I know nothing of Chrysler's CVT, although I know the reviews of the Compass and the Patriot didn't give the CVT high marks. Nissan makes good CVT's. Chrysler, not so sure about.
Ugh, I have not heard good reviews about the Patriot's CVT! Now, I've never had a manual car, but that's all my hubz drives so if I opt for manual, he'll have to teach me stick. (Insert dirty joke here... ha!) The HHR's automatic, if I'm not mistaken, comes with remote startup, correct? That is an awesome feature!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:26 AM

Hi Megula....
Welcome to the forum...
Lone Ranger is right..the Chryslers have CVT's We make the automatic transmission for the HHR here in Windsor.
Check with your dealer first to see if the remote start is an optional cost.

Clare