The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Oi!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:00 AM

Hi Meg & Hub, A Big Texas to the site your sure to meet a lot of awesome people here and get tons of useful information. We take Katie our 4 year old great dane with us on trips and she has plenty of room and seems very happy with the ride. On a recent trip to Dallas about 300 miles away we picked up a Harley basket case complete with motor. To see that ridgid frame with the high back sissy bar tucked in the back was impressive enough. With a dry weight of about 400 lbs. I didn't notice any sag in the ride. We got about 31 mpg. on the trip so this was a big plus not having to take our 84 Chevy K5 Blazer that gets around 14 mpg. As far as the handling goes the front wheel drive should handle well in the snow I've driven fwd cars in the Wy. winters and they do very well. I hope this helps some with your questions, happy shopping and good luck on your future purchase.

Curtis & Deb
Old 10-18-2007, 07:18 AM

Yeah, I forgot about the CVT ... (maybe blocked it out ) Definitely didn't like the reviews of it... Most were saying it felt like an automatic trans that was slipping and had a noticable lag when stepping on the gas ... but you'll get used to it
Old 10-18-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by GCarp
Yeah, I forgot about the CVT ... (maybe blocked it out ) Definitely didn't like the reviews of it... Most were saying it felt like an automatic trans that was slipping and had a noticable lag when stepping on the gas ... but you'll get used to it
I see similar info in reviews of other vehicles w/ CVT's. Never driven a CVT car, but based on what I read the slushy/slippy feeling is pretty much the way all CVT's feel, some apparently feel tighter and more responsive as is the case with the CVT in the new 2007 Nissan Sentra. Nissan seems to get the best reviews on CVT's.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by MEGULA
Hi, everybody!

I have been on the hunt for a new ride and have narrowed down my choices to the Jeep Patriot and the HHR. Both offer excellent mileage and reliability, but in my book, the HHR wins in terms of styling and price. The main questions I have are in regards to:

Seating / Cargo Capacity
and
Handling
A belated welcome to you, Meg.

To address your questions from my POV, I've used both HHR's I've had for considerable amounts of hauling, and both did an admirable job while not suffering on gas mileage at all (matter of fact, the HHR seems to get better mileage when it's loaded down with a lot of crap. We moved furniture in Stitch I across country and were getting 500+ mile fuel ranges on tanks of gas). The handling is acceptable for a small crossover with a slightly high center of gravity (lower than the Patriot's though), and it might feel a little unsteady to take a high speed corner, but for most intents and purposes it's excellent. (any body sway can be addressed by using an aftermarket rear sway bar that some of the members here are using) I know I put Stitch II through his paces by taking a freeway on-ramp at 60mph every day which has a fairly sharp curve to it, and I haven't felt insecure once.

Steering takes a little getting used to ... I disagree with all the reviewers who say that the electric steering is "numb," I think they just aren't used to how much easier it turns than a hydraulic steering system (which Patriot has). I still have a good feel on turns and the road with the electric power steering, I'd even venture to say it's better than my last non-HHR car's hydraulic steering ... and that last car was a Firebird that took turns like a ballerina.

Nice dogs, BTW. I only have my Chessie now ...
... but I used to have a yellow Lab. Very friendly and energetic dogs.

Welcome again!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Desert Coyote
A belated welcome to you, Meg.

To address your questions from my POV, I've used both HHR's I've had for considerable amounts of hauling, and both did an admirable job while not suffering on gas mileage at all (matter of fact, the HHR seems to get better mileage when it's loaded down with a lot of crap. We moved furniture in Stitch I across country and were getting 500+ mile fuel ranges on tanks of gas). The handling is acceptable for a small crossover with a slightly high center of gravity (lower than the Patriot's though), and it might feel a little unsteady to take a high speed corner, but for most intents and purposes it's excellent. (any body sway can be addressed by using an aftermarket rear sway bar that some of the members here are using) I know I put Stitch II through his paces by taking a freeway on-ramp at 60mph every day which has a fairly sharp curve to it, and I haven't felt insecure once.

Steering takes a little getting used to ... I disagree with all the reviewers who say that the electric steering is "numb," I think they just aren't used to how much easier it turns than a hydraulic steering system (which Patriot has). I still have a good feel on turns and the road with the electric power steering, I'd even venture to say it's better than my last non-HHR car's hydraulic steering ... and that last car was a Firebird that took turns like a ballerina.

Nice dogs, BTW. I only have my Chessie now ...
... but I used to have a yellow Lab. Very friendly and energetic dogs.

Welcome again!
1) Thanks for the info!
2) LOVE the kitty.
3) HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!! Check out my PotterHead post!