The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: How's your portfolio doing?
Making money
4.65%
Holding steady
8.14%
Losing my @ss
37.21%
I'm afraid to look
23.26%
I'm not in the market
26.74%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Ok, How bad are you getting hammered in the stock market right now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by trfindley
I stupidly didn't follow my own rule about selling a stock if it dropped 10% off its high and the result is at the bottom 0f this page:
http://www.trfindley.com/pgstktrd.htm

I have not found 1 US stock worth buying for over 6 months.
The Dow Jones leads the direction of the market. It has a resistance level where it won't go higher, and a support level, where it won't go lower. The current task is to figure out what the support level is.

In the last decline which started in 2000, the DJIA bottomed out at 7181 on 10-10-2002.

The market predicts business conditions 6-9 months in advance. I think conditions will drop longer than 9 months before the economy improves.
It seems like every week the prognosticators push out the day that they, in their wisdom, see a turn-around coming. The hedge funds are continuing to de-leverage commodity and stock positions, and until that is complete, we will continue to have market swings and pressures. Too late to sell, and too risky to bet it all, so therefore "sitting tight" is about our only option.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
It seems like every week the prognosticators push out the day that they, in their wisdom, see a turn-around coming. The hedge funds are continuing to de-leverage commodity and stock positions, and until that is complete, we will continue to have market swings and pressures. Too late to sell, and too risky to bet it all, so therefore "sitting tight" is about our only option.
Well said... I agree...

I'm in for the long ride... You only lose it if you sell or pull out when the funds/stocks are hitting bottom.

I look at the reports and pray I don't need to dip into it for many years down the road.

I'll start worrying about the value in 20 years from now as I approach retirement... if we are all still here in 20 years...

Pulling out now is like trying to sell a $200,000 home when the home value drops to $50,000.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:12 AM

My access to my account was made harder when they assigned a new account number and very long password. I have to pull out the documents with these numbers every time I want see where I'm at.

In September, I found out I was down about 6% since December so I moved everything to the bond market. The Dow Jones was still over 10,000 at that point. I did this because I thought the government would have to sell bonds to finance the bailout, not to cut my losses. I'm waiting to move back into stocks but don't think things will settle down until after the election. I also made a ton of money in the international market. I'm not sure when it will recover.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
if we are all still here in 20 years...
Well, the Mayan calandar ends in 2012 which just happens to coincide with the year in which bad things will happen as a result of the Large Hadron Collider being fired up last month or whenever on the French/Swiss border... like a quasar forming in the Earth's center or a black hole forming and growing, LOL. If you believe the few scientists that sounded the alarm about the collider being put into action, which most other scientists have discounted the doubting Thomas's warnings that it will take four years for the bad side effects of running the Collider to become apparent. So maybe we'll all get smashed into a speck the size of a sub-atomic particle in 2012, when the black hole created by the Collider gathers enough momentum, LOL.

Maybe the Mayans were right
Old 10-24-2008, 10:17 AM

I don't look..I pump a good chunk every week into my 401K and will continue to do so......if anything I am buying a lot of stock at cheap cheap prices and in the long run will be better off

retirement is still 25 years away for me

Goose
Old 10-24-2008, 10:19 AM

That's the right attitude Goose, with thinking like that you may be able to shave off a few years.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:38 AM

What Goose is doing is taking advantage of a concept called Dollar Cost Averaging, over the long term. It is a reason to ride out the crashes and continue to make contributions to your 401K or other deferred compensation plan while the market is down.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:24 PM

Lets see my 401k Is now a 102 ID!!!! In the Dumper And i can still smile
Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 PM

So now that we closed out year end, and are in to a New Year with optimism, how is everyone (or those willing to share) doing? For me my 401k is down 29%, overall our accounts together are down about 19%. Plan on increasing savings and picking some good dividend paying stocks, preferred stocks and other low debt, low PE stocks to add. Also switched from short USO to long USO 2010 leaps (a bit early). Had not been for Gold funds and USO (long then short, now long) would have been even worse for 2008.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:13 PM

I'm not in the market, but someone I know lost over $20,000 of their 401K in 2008. That's why I have mine safely tucked away, not making much, but not loosing any.

Quick Reply: Ok, How bad are you getting hammered in the stock market right now?