The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Opinions wanted on employment matter

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

If you punch a time card then you are an hourly employee and should be paid as such. So they owe you for the trade show. Best thing is to call your state Labor board or whatever your state calls it and they can fill you in and also file a claim if you so desire. Just remember, it's a tough world out there now and jobs are hard to come by. Sometimes we may be right but is it better to be right and unemployed or bite the bullet and keep your mouth shut.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 PM

I wouldn't raise a stink unless it's constantly happening. In which case I still wouldn't raise a stink. I'd give notice.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:21 PM

You must be fairly new with this company. If you had been working with these people for a while, My guess you would 've had an idea what kind of Jerks you are working for. Would've been more considerate if they gave a verbal warning or advice about your actions rather going too extreme at the start. My advice go to work for some one else. No amount of money, prestige or power is worth that kind of aggravation.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:09 AM

I have known some companies that have thier salaried employies clock in. that is how they keep track of the time and if the employie is late or not.

When I worked for the Federal Prison System, even tho your salaried, your time is kept track of. But then we also got paid overtime.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:24 AM

Wouldn't it be nice to go to work and have a union back you up...
As far as your situation, is your boss that petty, is it worth putting your job on the line for $50, did your boss just have a bad day, could you find immediate employment, what does your better half say, do you like your job, are you doing a good job, will fighting this affect anything in your future.
$50 is not huge, considering being late is grounds for firing(punch clock).
See if you can talk to your boss on better terms and try to resolve this on good terms. If not, look at the above and weigh if it's worth it.
Myself I would not see it as a big issue, I would just try a be more punctual.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:16 AM

I am an executive, and we have EVERYONE clock in and out, including the CEO. It gives us a record of who is in the building at any given time for security reasons. Having said that, if you are in a salaried position, it may be best to start looking for other opportunities, as someone else stated.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:47 PM

This is my story and maybe it pertains to you....I was the sales manager for a rather large office supply firm (STAPLES) and my performance reviews were pretty good. I was also the highest paid sales manager in my district for two years in a row. Three times, my idiot district manager walked in to write me up for things I disagreed with. He used the same write-ups with the same bad punctuation and misspelled words. He even was waiting for me when I came back from lunch claiming he had been watching me "work" when I was in fact not in the store. I did not sign the write-ups at all. And I want to point out that I was salaried too and did not punch in at all. I had heart surgery and just a few weeks after my operation, HR walked in and fired me claiming I was not doing my job. The GM was so upset (she sided with me), she quit that same day. The day I was fired, it was publicly announced that STAPLES had lost a $38 million class action lawsuit in California for miss-classifying the sales managers and operations managers to avoid paying them overtime. They owed us a few hundred dollars for every week we were employed there and they switched us over to hourly based upon our salaries and a 40 hour week. Well, I was working between 50 - 60 hours each week and anything over 40 hours is time-and-a-half. I calculated that based on my salary, they would have been paying me an average of $45,000.00 more each year. They didn't want to do that, so they tried to pressure me into quitting. I refused to quit, so they fired me and I was able to collect unemployment. That is the good news. The bad news is that California is an "at will" state and you can be fired for most things as long as certain rights are not violated. If I were you, I would check with an attorney. What is to stop money being taken from your paycheck again? A precedence has already been established.
Good luck!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:37 PM

Looks to me like a lose- lose situation, and I hate it, lose $50 or lose your job. I'll have to resort to a more devious option for revenge. I was thinking of sweetening the gast tank in his Mercedes, or keying it. Maybe just turn him in to the IRS for an audit. NJ is an "at will" employment state, meaning anyone can be terminated for any or NO reason. To avoid litigation, "no reason" is usually used. What really burns me up, is that this guy hardly spends any time in the office, but docks me for being late without any warning. Maybe (he's a foreigner) he will soon learn that one key to a succesful business is not to screw with your employees, you want them on your side. I;d push this guy in front of a bus if I could.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:44 PM

Call your local DEFH office and report him. Even if he is within his rights legally, they will come out and audit the entire business. That is the Department of Fair Employment and Housing.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by diskullman
Looks to me like a lose- lose situation, and I hate it, lose $50 or lose your job. I'll have to resort to a more devious option for revenge. I was thinking of sweetening the gast tank in his Mercedes, or keying it. Maybe just turn him in to the IRS for an audit. NJ is an "at will" employment state, meaning anyone can be terminated for any or NO reason. To avoid litigation, "no reason" is usually used. What really burns me up, is that this guy hardly spends any time in the office, but docks me for being late without any warning. Maybe (he's a foreigner) he will soon learn that one key to a succesful business is not to screw with your employees, you want them on your side. I;d push this guy in front of a bus if I could.
I don't know that I would say that about my boss on an internet forum that can be accessed by ANYONE.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on employment matter