The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Owner Loyalty to Car Brands

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Never was a brand loyal guy since my grandpa owned a tow yard. Had my pickings of what I wanted (if I had the cash, he never let me "have" anything, made me work for it, I appreciated that). Always loved the Chevys though. I was a Camaro IROC guy, loved the car. Never had one but my friend does, lots of fun to spin those tires :) Anyway, here's the list:

1. 1984 Honda Accord LX, wrecked in 3 weeks, stupid thing never passed smog (highschool car)

2. 1981 Malibu, POS! Overheated the crappy V6 in about 2 months. Brakes sucked, no power, blinker switch kept falling out of the steering column, hated it. I can't complain, only paid $500 bucks for it...(another highschool car)

3. 1983 BMW 533i, Loved this car, borrowed/loaned from my parents but I maintained it. After about a year and realising it would cost a poor college student a kidney to keep up, I gave it back to my parents for a more economical car.

4. 1989 Honda Accord LXi, This car was my intro to Honda (first one doesn't count). I put on about a million miles, very reliable, was a coupe, replaced the motor/trans, originally paid $1800 for it, sold it for $3400 almost 2 years later. Good car.

5. 1993 Honda Del Sol Si, This car was my baby. I dove into it, tore apart the suspension, made it into a cart. Nothing really special on the engine, just made it go fast around corners. Could really tear up some twisties. Targa top was the best, was so sad when I totaled it about 4 years down the road.

6. 1994 Honda Del Sol VTEC, This was my rebound car, heh. Did a little more to it, than the first and transfered all the first car's parts to this one. Upgraded the clutch, lightened flywheel, polyurethane bushings all around, this car made me "loyal" to Honda. Sold it about 2 years later, was having a baby and the 2 seater had to go. Worst feeling a couple months later, wish I still had it. 160hp and corners on rails was perfect for a 2300lbs car!

6a. 1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max, The worst vehicle I ever owned. If I knew better at the time, I would have rolled it down a hill and never looked back. 2 engines later, still wouldn't pass smog, stupid carbuerator, god I hate plastice bottom end carbs!! So glad when I got rid of it!!

6b. 1971 VW Super Beetle, was for the wife, she never drove it. I drove it a few times, then sold it, too bad, just no time for a project car at the time.

6c. 1988 Mustang GT, really fun, too many problems. Let it go since I would have had to find a donor car with a full good working drive train. Oh well, another not time for a project car at the time.

7. 2003 Silverado SS, This Truck is what inspired me to believe in Chevy again! I loved this truck. Picked it up in '04, private seller for $24k. KBB was at around $32k at the time. I jumped on it, added about 70k miles before trading in for the HHR SS!!

8. 1995 Honda Civic DX, My daily driver, fun car, put all the del sol parts I had on it, another car on rails. Swapped motors, trannies (on the 4th tranny), still have this car but will be selling.

9. 1989 Toyota P/U, My toy, project that I will not let the wife talk me into selling :) She's letting me keep it :) New mud/trail toy when I get the engine back up and running. Long term project.

10. 2008 HHR SS, My new, oh so favorite car to drive! To be my daily driver, and weekend grocery getter. Kids just love the feeling of the turbo kicking in and the "roller coaster" feeling :) Going to be holding on to this as long as I can!

Other cars we have owned, Wifey drives a 2000 CRV, had a 1996 Civic Dx a while back, long gone. Other than that, I have had my fair share of cars/trucks :)