The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Paging Captain Howdy

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 01:29 PM

I think it was love at first sight with you two. :) That's awesome you guys have/are working on the same car.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:32 PM

Yea, and it seems that though Cap'n Howdy is a tad younger, we've been listening to the same tunes.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Banned

Alright I have reversed my thinking. I see why you told me to put the largest engine in there I could. While looking over my Haynes manual I noticed it had the power ratings for my engine. I guess in 1972 the 350 4 barrel has 175 HP and 280 Lb. ft. of torque. Not much to build off of versus a 454. I guess the old phrase there is no replacement for displacement holds true. You're right about if I build up the 350 I'll probably want more power. After all like you said if I'm going to spend the money for the restoration I might as well go all out. It's not like I want it to be tame. It's going to be my bad a** summer fun car not my daily driver or anything. Would it be worth it to make the cowl induction hood functional? Are there any roots style superchargers that will fit under the factory cowl indution hood? I want a big blower sitting on top of the engine rather that a centrifugal style. I also don't want a blower sticking through the hood nor do I was a huge cowl hood. The factory cowl hood is so perfect on there I wouldn't want to screw up the look. Also whats your personal opinion about adding a spoiler to the back. I'm not talking a blinged out adjustable carbon fiber aluminum one but something small and tasteful similar to the spoilers that came on early 70s Mach 1 Mustangs. Real small and tucked to the body. Would I be committing a major violation to the heritage of the vehicle or do you thing it might be cool on a custom pro-street style Malibu?

Last edited by captain howdy; 02-23-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:29 AM

Cap'n

Here's my view

a 402 is a nice big block to build if you're keen on building an engine.
If you want power and don't want to build it yourself, buy a crate motor. You can get 425 HP / 500 ftlbs of torque for very close to $5,000. It will cost you about the same to build any "stout" engine big block or small. The only advantage there is that you can build it over time.

You don't really gain any perforamnce from making the cowl hood functional like they were from the factory. You do gain cool factor. My flapper door opens up when you mash the pedal, but the inner door, solenoids etc are not installed. It doesn't make a difference, especially when you look at the cost of the parts.

As far as blowers are concerned, no roots or whipple style blower will fit under the factory hood. Your options for forced induction are centrifugal superchargers or trubos.
I would avoid both as they it is royal pain in the ass to build a motor that can take it long term, its expensive, and its hard to tune when not using fuel injection. Besides, with a healthy big block you are looking at running 11's at factory weight (~3800)

No spoilers. Major no-no. 'nuff said.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:38 AM
Banned

I figured as much about the spoiler. I guess it's also cooler to be able to put down some large number on just engine alone without the need of forced induction. It's good to know I can hook the flappers up without actually making the cowl hood functional. If I go the crate motor route I'm kind of tempted to just stuff a modern EFI in there. But that makes things that much harder to work on and tune.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:42 AM

Anything can be done.

Myself, I am a fan of big inches, carbs, classic look, and having enough torque to blow the doors off anything I meet at a light.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 72Mark
Myself, I am a fan of big inches, carbs, classic look, and having enough torque to blow the doors off anything I meet at a light.
Sounds good to me! One of my problems is I want to give it a bad a** custom look but I don't really want to destroy the beauty of the vehicle or bring any shame to a classic. Thats why I guess any change I make has to be fairly subtle. I'm still kind of stuck on making everything on the car black, chrome and all.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:54 AM

Go all black, drop it 1" with the Hotchkis springs, put a nasty big block in it, put some 17" wheels on it, a nice rumbly exhaust and it will be plenty custom.

ps. no crazy gauges all over the place!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 72Mark
ps. no crazy gauges all over the place!
LOL, that wasn't even in my plan. I guess I have a long way off before I consider looks but I should probably keep the final vision of the car in my head while tearing it down and rebuilding.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:06 AM

I'm cleaning out my shop and have some stuff, too. For a big block, I have a complete 454 and a turbo 400. I also have quite a few 350 4 bolt blocks and 1 400 4 bolt block. By the way, anyone need a '68 corvair convertible?

Quick Reply: Paging Captain Howdy