The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Pending Cell Phone Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Founding Member

Pending Cell Phone Purchase

I'm shopping around to buy a new cell phone here at the end of my carriers contract agreement. I'm staying with my caririer but want new equipment.

I have narrowed my phone selection to just a few models.
My questions to you are in regards to buying them off ebay. (or any used type even elsewhere private party) I know most of the beware warning signs of buying off ebay as I sold quite a bit of stuff a few years back.

I see phone that are locked and unlocked. I understand the principles behind all that. It's the pricing that is throwing me off. A full priced phone from my carrier is around $300. I see them for much less off ebay.
Has anyone bought off ebay and able to use/transfer it on their current carrier?

Last edited by SindyDix; 07-28-2006 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-28-2006, 10:46 PM

sindy, i have never bought a phone from ebay, so im no help there. But i buy the new samsung razor phone that sprint carries. I went into a sprint store and told them i wanted that phone and i didnt care how much i was going to have to pay, the phone retails for 350. i ended up paying 69 for the phone, car charger, bluetooth headset, and carrying case. It might be worth it to run to the store, and see if they cant work out some kind of deal for you like that.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:16 PM

Sindy
We just switch are phones to a verizon before the CG road trip. WE both both the Razor phones. Got them for 69 (i think) after the rebate. Ordered off the web and had in about 2 days. I have never or know anyone who has bought a phone off ebay, so I am no help there. I would just say becarefull because as anything just because they say it will work with your company of choice does not mean they will take the phone. But I know your a smart person, look at the car you drive
Old 07-28-2006, 11:54 PM

I bought a phone from a private seller off ebay, a Cingular motorola phone, one that you only have to switch the 'sim card'. I wanted to replace my work phone which uses Cingular. Found one for a 'good' price on ebay. but a few days after I got it. It would lock up whenever i answered it. SO, i would say NO to buying off of ebay.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:10 AM

1) I have worked either directly for all of the cell phone carriers or as a subcontractor. I have serviced equipment, sold phones and paid contruction guys to build the towers and I worked with enginers who designed the equipment.

If your at the End of the contract? They there should be a discount to be a phone with an new contract signing. I know verizon has the new every 2 plan. With all of the number porting (which means you can take your number to another carrier) your current cell phone company should be able to give you a credit towards a new phone otherwise you can take your business else where. Call up the customer service and ask them for credit. Most customer care reps are allowed to authorized up to a 50.00 credit without getting the manager on the phone. (Call the 800 numbers not the local store) Be nice to the people on the phone. If your an ass and are being irrate then you do not deserve anything. The golden rule is very important.

I would not by a phone from ebay. 1) you need to know if your phone is compbatible with the service. CDMA, GSM, TDMA (I do not think its being used) CDMA is verizon and sprint, GSM Is Cingular, T-mobile (Nextel I forget there thing. I know most CDMA phones are tri-mode.

Plus if you do not know how to read date codes on cell phones (battery/Phone) you could be getting an older phone and could also be out of warranty. your taking a chance when you buy from ebay. Plus if you buy from the store you can deal with them directly.

Ins is worth having for cell phones. Just becasue you might get the phone free with the contract signing does not mean when you lose it u could get another one. The phone is subsided from retail price. I might be 0 for you but 200.00 being recorded on the books for the cell phoe company. 5 X 12 is much cheaper then 200. I hate 2 year contracts.

Also speak to neighbors to see if other providers work where you live.

If you have any other questions let me know. I know all of the ins and outs I worked for them all.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by SIHHR
1) I have worked either directly for all of the cell phone carriers or as a subcontractor. I have serviced equipment, sold phones and paid contruction guys to build the towers and I worked with enginers who designed the equipment.

If your at the End of the contract? They there should be a discount to be a phone with an new contract signing. I know verizon has the new every 2 plan. With all of the number porting (which means you can take your number to another carrier) your current cell phone company should be able to give you a credit towards a new phone otherwise you can take your business else where. Call up the customer service and ask them for credit. Most customer care reps are allowed to authorized up to a 50.00 credit without getting the manager on the phone. (Call the 800 numbers not the local store) Be nice to the people on the phone. If your an ass and are being irrate then you do not deserve anything. The golden rule is very important.

I would not by a phone from ebay. 1) you need to know if your phone is compbatible with the service. CDMA, GSM, TDMA (I do not think its being used) CDMA is verizon and sprint, GSM Is Cingular, T-mobile (Nextel I forget there thing. I know most CDMA phones are tri-mode.

Plus if you do not know how to read date codes on cell phones (battery/Phone) you could be getting an older phone and could also be out of warranty. your taking a chance when you buy from ebay. Plus if you buy from the store you can deal with them directly.

Ins is worth having for cell phones. Just becasue you might get the phone free with the contract signing does not mean when you lose it u could get another one. The phone is subsided from retail price. I might be 0 for you but 200.00 being recorded on the books for the cell phoe company. 5 X 12 is much cheaper then 200. I hate 2 year contracts.

Also speak to neighbors to see if other providers work where you live.

If you have any other questions let me know. I know all of the ins and outs I worked for them all.
Yeah, what he said.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:40 AM
Former Sponsor

I've bought phones from ebay. There are different types of locks (some more restrictive than others) and different ways to unlock phones (some you can do yourself with the right software and/or cables, by entering codes, or have your network provider unlock by sending codes). If you know what you need and know what you're getting into you can save quite a bit by going through ebay. If you want a good resource check out http://www.howardforums.com/

If you get a fully unlocked phone that is compatible with your network you will be fine. Even a network locked phone for your network will work. If the phone is SIM locked only to the original SIM card then you will have to unlock it before you can use it with your SIM.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Founding Member

wow, thanks for all the help!
Old 07-29-2006, 09:42 AM

We have Verizon and take advantage of their 'New Every Two' plan. Every two years they offer us certain phones for free and others greatly discounted. My wife is usually satisfied with the free phone, but being a gadget junkie I always upgrade just a little. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a phone off of eBay, but I feel safer getting them from Verizon.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:34 AM

Cell phones off ebay???? I did one time, and it was advertised as new. It looked new and basically worked. Except when I tried to connect with a Bluetooth, it did not. Anyway, after 2 gruelling months, the only way for me to get my money back was to file a claim. Fortunately, they advertised it as brand new with money back guarantee.

I would stick with a new one with the carrier IMO....

Quick Reply: Pending Cell Phone Purchase