The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Petition to U.S. Congress.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:36 PM

Petition to U.S. Congress.

I started an online petition. Please read the petition, if you wish to support the effort, I thank you in advance. If you do not support the effort, well I appreciate you at least reading the petition and thank you for your time. That is exactly what George Washington believed in, and that is why you have that right.

I strongly believe that General George Washington is more deserving of the MOH than any American has ever been. He distinguished him self time and time again during his career as the Commander in Chief of the Contenintal Army.

Petition
Old 12-17-2006, 03:41 PM

Why the interest in G. Washington...
Old 12-17-2006, 06:48 PM

G. Wash. wasnt an american
can a non-american get the MOH ?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EL_REY
He was born in Virginia and lived his whole life here? If he could be President I'm sure he could get a MOH.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

El_Rey....after that post, I need to ask this.

He was born in Virginia to, I believe, English parents...so....

Are you really a teacher?????
Old 12-18-2006, 01:45 AM

OMFG!
Old 12-18-2006, 05:42 AM

I`m still wondering what happened to inspire a interest in G.W.1..
But instead of petitioning congress for a new medal, how about naming something after him. Maybe a park, a street, a school, a city,or a state even.
That why we`ll always have something to remind us.
Then congress can concentrate on getting our troops out of another country.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:32 AM

The Medal of Honor as known today did not exist in the Revolutionary period, It was the Order of the Purple Heart. The Purple Heart, is now of course the medal awarded to those soliders, sailors and airmen who are injured in combat related service.
I mean no disrespect to George Washington, but the Medal of Honor is awarded to military persons who went well beyond the call of duty, more often than not, giving their lives in combat operations, and almost always in extremely heroic actions resulting in the saving of numerous lives. This medal should NEVER be given honorarily, as this would start the errosion of this award as so many other military awards...
President Washington was awarded the highest rank in the Army (6 star General) a rank only actually worn by one General "Black Jack" Pershing, after the fact, in recognition of his service.
It will remain in my opinion that we as a nation, never award the Congressional Medals of Honor as an honorary award...
Having said that Thank you to El Guapo for his patriotism and his desire to recognize President Washington for the greatness of his service...
Old 12-18-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by scaleguy
The Medal of Honor as known today did not exist in the Revolutionary period, It was the Order of the Purple Heart. The Purple Heart, is now of course the medal awarded to those soliders, sailors and airmen who are injured in combat related service.
I mean no disrespect to George Washington, but the Medal of Honor is awarded to military persons who went well beyond the call of duty, more often than not, giving their lives in combat operations, and almost always in extremely heroic actions resulting in the saving of numerous lives. This medal should NEVER be given honorarily, as this would start the errosion of this award as so many other military awards...
President Washington was awarded the highest rank in the Army (6 star General) a rank only actually worn by one General "Black Jack" Pershing, after the fact, in recognition of his service.
It will remain in my opinion that we as a nation, never award the Congressional Medals of Honor as an honorary award...
Having said that Thank you to El Guapo for his patriotism and his desire to recognize President Washington for the greatness of his service...
I agree, the CMOH should never be awarded ceremonialy. I'm not asking for it to be given to Gen. Washington in that manner. If you look at his service record, he distinguished him slef many times with unselfish acts of bravery in the face of what could have been certain death. There are MOH recipients that were not killed during battle. In fact there have been a great number of living MOH winners. Gen. Washington earned the MOH many times over, just go thru some of the things he did while he was Commander in Chief of the Continental Army. I'm positive you will find many reasons for him to be awarded the MOH.

We already have too many buildings, parks, bridges etc. We don't need another landmark with his name on it. We need to recognize him for what he did in service of this nation.

Last edited by El_Guapo; 12-19-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

I believe David McCullough's, Pulitzer Prize winning book 1776, is considered one of the best written books on our country's war for independence.

He described Washington as a "adequate" general (who made many blunders during the "States" fight)...but a heroic and gallant leader.

Quick Reply: Petition to U.S. Congress.