The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

POLITICAL: Border Patrol Agents going to jail for doing their job!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 PM

POLITICAL: Border Patrol Agents going to jail for doing their job!!

Border Patrol Agents going to jail for doing their job. Only 6 days left for a presidential pardon!

Some of you may not be aware of the story and I ask you to help. I rarely take a political standpoint on anything but this is deserving!!

I’ve been following this story for some months now and have done all I can do to send emails, voicemails, and letters, asking for a presidential pardon. In short, these agents shot a drug smuggler while in pursuit – the smuggler made it back to Mexico – OUR GOVERNMENT went to Mexico – brought him back to the states – treated his wounds – and gave the smuggler IMMUNITY so that OUR Government could prosecute OUR border patrol agents for doing their jobs and protecting AMERICA from MEXICAN DRUG SMUGGLERS!!!

The details of the story can be found here: http://poe.house.gov/News/DocumentSi...cumentID=55101

At this point the agents are going to jail for up to 20 years for defending our country and I think it is an OUTRAGE! We have 6 days left to persuade the president to pardon these brave men. Please take five minutes to sign the petition to our president at this site: http://www.grassfire.org/142/petition.asp and send an email to this address: AskDOJ@usdoj.gov, who is the attorney general Alberto Gonzales, with the below verbiage.

“Dear Attorney General,
As a citizen of the United States I am outraged to learn that two U.S. Border Agents have been convicted of lengthy prison terms for doing their jobs-- pursuing illegal aliens who cross our border, and I'm calling on you to officially pardon them for their actions.

I am even more outraged to learn that this illegal alien (who was attempting to smuggle about 800 pounds of marijuana into our country) was tracked down by a Department of Homeland Security Investigator and granted immunity for his testimony against these two agents!

This is a terrible injustice, and I urge you to use your considerable authority and power to pardon these two agents and right this obvious wrong!”

If you so desire, you can also call the attorney general’s office at: (202) 514-2008 and leave a message regarding these men.

Thank you so much in advance! Every voice will help to get the president to listen to us pardon these brave men! Please pass this on to those who you think will help!
Krista (AKA Bettie)
Old 01-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Betti S...are you sure you wish to do this....

The eRumor leaves the impression that the two loyal Border Patrol agents were tossed into prison without merit while a drug smuggler got soft treatment.

The U.S. Attorney's Office for the Western District of Texas released a detailed statement about the case on September 8, 2006. The statement was partly because of the Internet eRumor.

According to the statement, the two Border Patrol agents in the case shot an unarmed man, failed to report the shooting as required, and did not know at the time that they shot him that he had 743 pounds of marijuana in the van he was driving.

After a two-week trial, a jury convicted both agents of eleven of the 12 counts in the indictment including assault with a dangerous weapon, assault with serious bodily injury, discharge of a firearm during the commission of a crime of violence and willfully violating the rights of the victim, and obstructing justice by defacing the crime scene, lying about the incident.

The statement said that the agents, Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean spotted the suspect, Osvaldo Aldrete-Davila, on February 17, 2005, driving a van near the U.S. Mexico border near Fabens, Texas. They attempted to stop him for an ID check and the suspect got out of the van and started running toward the border. The agents stopped him at gunpoint and, according to the statement, he "held his hands up, as if to surrender, with his palms open, and no weapon was in either hand, or evident on his person." At one point one of the agents tried to hit the suspect with the butt of his gun and the suspect took off running again. The U.S. Attorney's office says the agents fired 15 rounds at the suspect, one of which hit him in the left buttock. The suspect made it into Mexico and got away.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

Your details of the story are biased. You can't urge people to take up a cause by presenting propaganda. You should link media references rather than that crap and let people make the call. As of right now I have no clue as to the facts that happened so I can't make an intelligent decision and decide if it’s worth my time to help. For all I know the agents could have been acting on their own outside the laws that they are meant to uphold. Obviously is the U.S. Attorney's office stepped in and took action they must have done something wrong or in violation of the law. Especially if they worked a deal with a drug smuggler to seek conviction of the agents. It’s not usually the U.S. Attorney's office’s standpoint to side with drug smugglers. In fact it's quite the opposite. For all I know the agents deserve what they have coming.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Are you referring to my post or BettiS ????
Old 01-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Are you referring to my post or BettiS ????
Bettie's. You and I were typing at the same time. Thanks for clearing that up Snoopy.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, to you CH.

I get this kind of "stuff" all the time, 3-4 times a day. I refuse to pass anything along as "Gospel" until I research it thoroughly.

My intent and belief is there is REAL ISSUES with our politicians, social systems, laws that need to be addressed. Why waste energy on false, misleading, embellished issues????

I still BELIEVE we did put men ON THE MOON

BTW...been missing your comments here.

Last edited by Snoopy; 01-11-2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-11-2007, 02:04 PM

Of course I am biased - isn't that how politics works?

I'm sorry that I didn't attempt to find another media source as well. All my sources are from my UBER Biased talk radio station but this had been rolling around the all media for a long time now.

Failing to report the incident is subject to a suspension from work for a matter of days NOT 20 years in jail. Both men admitted that they were wrong in not reporting it. Shouldn't they have just the border patrol agency's punishment and not been taken to court?

My point in this is, I don't think our government needed to go find a drug smuggler, in Mexico, bring him back and convict border patrol agents of shooting him in the ass. The man had a million dollars worth of pot coming over the border and deserved to be shot in the ass! Yes that is a bias opinion. Why couldn't our government just leave it well alone? If taking our tax dollars, to go to Mexico, to retrieve the man, our government should have convicted him of drug smuggling instead?

It makes me think that the state Texas is working with Mexico to keep drug coming into our economy (and since we have had no reponse from our President and he is from Texas...)

Not that I am complaining but I do think we should at least be attempting to support our own economy!

P.S. I had just written the entire message, myself, to post on myspace and thought that it might be heard here as well. It is not just spam that I have passed along.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned

I see your point on the drugs but that's not the important issue. The issue is the agents handling the incident totally wrong. So from your standpoint you are saying its okay for Federal agents and police to act on there own will with a blatant disregard for the laws they swear to uphold? They shot what could have been an innocent man because they had no clue that he was even a drug smuggler at the time! Then failed to report it! It sounds like he was unarmed and trying to cooperate with the agents when they decided to try and pistols whip him. I would have run again to. They fired on an unarmed man with no possible threat to their lives. They sound like the lowest scum of our political system and deserve a death penalty in my eyes. But then again lots of people deserve death penalties in my eyes. They are meant to serve and uphold our laws and rights by sworn oath but violate our laws and rights on their own will because they are immune to them. Then you expect me defend them?

Last edited by captain howdy; 01-11-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Not that this has anything to do with this post ,but I received this email just today.

The latest poll taken by the Governor of California yielded results on whether or not people who live in California think illegal immigration is a serious problem:

a) 41% of the respondents answered: "Yes, it is a serious problem."

b) 59% of the respondents answered: "No es un problema serio."

If I'm not mistaken, firing fifteen shots at an unarmed man in the back is usually considered attemtped murder. But apparently, the agents didn't even think it was important enough to mention. I guess if they did kill him and told no one, then it would have been okay cause no one would have found out.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Inframan
."

b) 59% of the respondents answered: "No es un problema serio."

Quick Reply: POLITICAL: Border Patrol Agents going to jail for doing their job!!