The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Pontiac G8

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:50 PM

I will be thinking about trading mine for a G8 GXP if they end up making one
Old 03-24-2008, 06:58 AM

I had a bunch of G5's come in last week and had to deliver tags (fleet). They had a G8 on the showroom floor. Was not impressed in person. The Holden grills and such are so much better. If Pontiac is not going to come up with there own stuff, they might as well close shop. Been a long time since Pontiac has built "excitment" in anything.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by solman98
I had a bunch of G5's come in last week and had to deliver tags (fleet). They had a G8 on the showroom floor. Was not impressed in person. The Holden grills and such are so much better. If Pontiac is not going to come up with there own stuff, they might as well close shop. Been a long time since Pontiac has built "excitment" in anything.
Dude, seriously. Pontiac is a DIVISION of GM. GM has taken the best-selling car in Australia and one of the most exciting cars in it's entire global lineup and is selling it as a Pontiac in the USA. The only difference between the G8 and Commodore are the front fascias and hoods. I'm sure there will be plenty of people importing Holden facia parts just like they did with the GTO and Opel parts for the Saturn Sky.

Have you driven the last Grand Prix? They really had a long way to go for excitement, even though the old car was still a blast to drive. The G8 GT can even keep up with a Hemi Charger that has significantly more power with even more refinement and quality than anything Chrysler has EVER put out. Wait 'til the GXP version comes out with the LS3!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Dude, seriously. Pontiac is a DIVISION of GM. GM has taken the best-selling car in Australia and one of the most exciting cars in it's entire global lineup and is selling it as a Pontiac in the USA. The only difference between the G8 and Commodore are the front fascias and hoods. I'm sure there will be plenty of people importing Holden facia parts just like they did with the GTO and Opel parts for the Saturn Sky.

Have you driven the last Grand Prix? They really had a long way to go for excitement, even though the old car was still a blast to drive. The G8 GT can even keep up with a Hemi Charger that has significantly more power with even more refinement and quality than anything Chrysler has EVER put out. Wait 'til the GXP version comes out with the LS3!
Holden is also part of GM. Pontiac is still not developing anything. What was the last true Pontiac and not a regrill of something else? Pontiac is supposed to be the "excitement" division and they have nothing. Everything that Pontiac has is nothing more than some other GM product with a kidney grill and red dash. That killed the fate of Olds and Pontiac will probably go the same route. I'm sure the G8 will be a nice car, but it should be sold here as a Holden and not a Pontiac.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Banned

Holden is a DIVISION of GM, just like Pontiac. The divisions stopped developing their own products just before midway through the last century, then they were divided into groups like C-P-C and B-O-P. About twenty years ago, all that started going away too. It's a global company now and they're going to pull together from every resource. The Cadillac CTS and STS owe a lot to GM Europe and also share a lot of systems and components with Opels and Holdens around the world too. The G8 is no different. I think when you get the chance to actually drive one you'll see that it very much lives up to the Pontiac brand image in the US.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:41 PM

Has anybody taking a look at the sticker prices for the G8 GT anywhere from 33,500 to 35,000 or more depending on where you go, Holy crap!!! thats more than a mustang gt and more than a gto when they were brand new, for less hp and no 6 speed man where is the fun, GM has freaking lost their minds, dont get me wrong I love gm I own 5 of them 07 hhr, 06 malibu maxx, 05 caviler, 98 gp gt, and an 88 gmc jimmy with 250,000 still running strong, and I even have an pontiac arrowhead tattooed on my arm, but even i know where to draw the line, I guess i'll have to go import for performance, reliabilty, and something more afordable.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:42 PM

the one I saw was 31,000
Old 03-25-2008, 02:19 AM

i have sat in it in person it is a very nice car, even the base line which is the 3.6 6cyl @256hp and the GT has the 6.0 8cyl @361 or you can wait and get the GXP with the 6.2 LS3 with over 400hp. Very clean GTO sleeper, only pontiac gives you the V8, chevy only gives you the 4cyl or the 6cyl
Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Holden is a DIVISION of GM, just like Pontiac. The divisions stopped developing their own products just before midway through the last century, then they were divided into groups like C-P-C and B-O-P. About twenty years ago, all that started going away too. It's a global company now and they're going to pull together from every resource. The Cadillac CTS and STS owe a lot to GM Europe and also share a lot of systems and components with Opels and Holdens around the world too. The G8 is no different. I think when you get the chance to actually drive one you'll see that it very much lives up to the Pontiac brand image in the US.
Division... Part... Same basket of apples. After seeing it in person, no desires to drive it. If Pontiac wants to bring back their "brand image" they lost long ago (last gen Firebird an exception), they need to stop their rebadge game. I can't think one one current vehicle in their lineup (maybe the grand prix) that isn't a rebadge of another "part" of GM (or worse). Granted they are not the only guilty parties in this grill swap game. But it's the icing on the cake when you rebadge a............ Toyota.

In my line of work I get to deal with a lot of vehicles. Pontiac does not build "excitement" anymore. They just rebadge another car and call it a day.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sunnyhhr20
Has anybody taking a look at the sticker prices for the G8 GT anywhere from 33,500 to 35,000 or more depending on where you go, Holy crap!!! thats more than a mustang gt and more than a gto when they were brand new, for less hp and no 6 speed man where is the fun, GM has freaking lost their minds, dont get me wrong I love gm I own 5 of them 07 hhr, 06 malibu maxx, 05 caviler, 98 gp gt, and an 88 gmc jimmy with 250,000 still running strong, and I even have an pontiac arrowhead tattooed on my arm, but even i know where to draw the line, I guess i'll have to go import for performance, reliabilty, and something more afordable.
The G8 GT starts out at $29,995. That's about the same as a new Mustang GT. After all the options added to both vehicles, it's just about the same as a new Mustang GT. Keep in mind that the GTO was also being sold in 2004-06 dollars and they were offering incentives like crazy because no one was buying them.

Just for the sake of argument, the closest import brand competitors aren't going to be any less expensive and will actually be more expensive than a fully equipped G8. That isn't even a question. Go look at an Avalon. You want to compare it with Genesis? Be my guest. You still see that the G8 is a much better value.

Why all the hate? This is a great car!