The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Possibly the most bad ass movie of all time

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Banned

Possibly the most bad ass movie of all time

I've known about it for a long time but as it gets closer to the Japanese release date and now that the long trailer is out I have to share my excitement. Takashi Miike has outdone himself once again. Ladies and gentlemen I present:
Sukiyaki Western Django

Long trailer
Trailer
Teaser 1
Teaser 2

That's right........It's a sukiyaki western not a spaghetti western. And it involves the Django character and Django is my favorite western. As you can see from the trailers it's not a remake of Django though. It seems like a bastard Django which is acceptable to all us true fans because there are like 50 non-official Django films out there but this seems like the most bad ass. I think Miike will stay the most true to the essence of the character. You can see the infamous coffin and Gatling gun in the trailers. Seeing as how Sony has distribution rights I'm hoping for an American release soon after the 9/15 Japanese release date. It would be bad ass if it got a theatrical run here in the US! It's an incredible concept. A western set in feudal Japan with swords alongside guns and saloons alongside temples.

Now for some facts. This is the first Japanese film to be shot entirely with spoken English. There are many American films made by Japanese directors but this is the first almost entirely Japanese production where they speak phonetic English. Miike is hoping the trend will catch on. Fact two is that I said almost entirely Japanese production because Quentin Tarantino has a role. It is his first role in a Japanese film. In some form of weird irony Miike uses the classic Django theme song (The best theme ever) but has rerecorded it using more instruments and they changed the lyrics to Japanese even though the dialog for the film is in English.

I CAN'T WAIT!

Last edited by captain howdy; 08-29-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:24 PM

Just watched the trailer.. looks like an interesting movie. Even with the spoken English it looks like a bad dubbing.

There a plan for American release? Or is this an order online from Amazon or a Japanese website??
Old 08-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Banned

The Japanese theatrical release date is 9/15/07. I haven't heard any American release plans yet but I'm sure it will happen. However Miike is premiering it at the Toronto International Film Festival. I'm trying to convince my wife that she wants to go because not only is Sukiyaki Western Django premiering but George Romero is premiering Diary of the Dead there too. Toronto isn't that far from me. I’m having a really hard time convincing my wife that she needs to go to Canada to see a Japanese western and a Romero zombie film though. According to her I could stay home and watch a Japanese film, western, or zombie film just like any other night.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by en0oNmAI
Just watched the trailer.. looks like an interesting movie. Even with the spoken English it looks like a bad dubbing.

I think that's mostly because they are speaking Engrish rather than clean easily understandable English. I'm wondering if they'll still add English subtitles for the North American release.