The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Posting an Replies - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:36 AM

Post Posting an Replies - Thoughts?

My thoughts on keeping the forums clear of most garbage

Every now and again there seems to be some hate thrown around between members or people throw their feelings out without thinking before they post.

I wanted to talk a little about posting and replying, along with having respect for what others post.

Posting in forums is like talking in public.....you try to gather your thoughts, form an opinion, think about what you are going to say, and try to say it with clarity and thoughtfulness. So you may be heard and someone can continue the conversation. You should never scream directly at people in public or try to publicly humiliate them for no good reason. (I hope)

Posting on these forums should be no different.

I decided to join this group for many reasons, mostly because of the good attitude among owners here.
I know there are places in the forums for goofy crap and total nonsense. Lets try to keep that and hate out of decent threads, huh?

You wouldn’t go to a meeting and right after a speaker stops talking about something he has most likely spent some time preparing, go:

"DooD, Th@T Roks!!!!111 I agRee!!! W00T W00t!!!11 Down with @ssH0l3S!!!!111" or " YOURE A ASSHAT AND I HATE YOUR STUPID CAT!
(not literal)

Not only does stuff like that sound ignorant, it looks like it most of the time too.

How about thinking before you post? Creating a good reply? That’s what the intention of the thread starter is!!!!!!

If a thread says: post a picture of your shoes or whatever..... do it... don’t have page after page of ignorant replies.....POST A DAMN PICTURE! Comment if you need to, but make it worth reading.

Example: ..... I think those shoes are nice_____ they are similar to a _____ when i was five_____ mine currently smell_____ i have a boot in my_____ ass.................

Not: thos SHuZ suk! or I HATE SHOES!!!! or Y IZ THIS HEAR????

One of the things that absolutely sucks the biggest @#!%!@ is when searching....
A very important tool that everyone stresses but doesn’t always work.

If I did a search for pictures of shoes.....

The original post would be a shoe.........then 428156958160961948 pages of retarded comments about one thing and 3 pictures.

Its time consuming....and sucks.

If you stress using the search function at all, keep in mind people want to find what they are looking for rather quickly....post intelligently.

All I am saying is that you should be more considerate of others while posting....

Think before you type.

I wanted to post this now before this forum turned in to a mad house.

Thanks for reading!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:46 AM

DooD, yer post ROX!

Seriously, I see what you are saying and I agree with the gist of it, but I would say at the same time "Lighten up". This is an on-line forum of different people of differing ages, incomes, gender, educational levels, etc. and we have decided that we are going to form a community gathered loosely under the HHR banner. We have to allow for the up-tightness of some, the arrogance of others and the stupidity of a few, otherwise our community will fracture and dissolve.

My experiences with forums like this tells me that two things usually kill the community: idiot noobs that can't/won't adhere to the basic forum rules and obnoxious old timers who come to think the forum belongs to them and that they are the self-appointed guardians of it and since they have been around longer and posted more, their voice is the one that matters. This forum has been around long enough that the danger of these two has already begun.

Honestly, enough people will usually slap the noob around that he will either fall in line or split. It's the rude old timer that is frequently the true problem. Since they think the forum belongs to them and that somehow they are ultimately integral to it, they are too often inflexible and aggressive.

All of us need to work on allowing for the faux pas of others, but there must be some standard for posting to discourage the irritating post-whores that are already here. I hear ya, CS, something needs to be done about the person who has hundreds of posts and yet has said nothing, but we also can't be so regimented here that people can't have fun.

How about a group hug?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:50 AM

I totally agree!

Im not saying dont have fun.

Im saying dont be jerks!

W00t!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:00 PM

Thank you. One of the best posts yet.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Banned

Everyone has a different idea of what being a jerk is. I personally like when people bust my balls, I think it's funny. I don't mind being made fun of and I make fun of myself. There are others who would take it the other way. The same goes with people who get pissed off at others thoughts or opinions. They are just words typed on a screen but overly sensitive people take them to heart and start attacking people on a personal level. I agree with Krejaton lighten up and have fun. Don't be so uptight or start taking things personal. Not to mention there are a few of us who aren't so bright and cheerful all the time so our post can't be all smiles, sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns if you get my picture.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:26 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Everyone has a different idea of what being a jerk is.... Not to mention there are a few of us who aren't so bright and cheerful all the time so our post can't be all smiles, sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns if you get my picture.
For the Capt.

Get the picture?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:36 PM

^^^ Now that's funny. BTW...talking about CH and booksmitty.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:20 PM

We are not a small group anymore. Especially with over 900 members. Plus there are plenty of guests that read what is posted. Please set a fair example. Lets not scare others away.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by booksmitty
For the Capt.

Get the picture?
Well that made me all smiles, sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Founding Member

I'll BBQ it for dinner!

Quick Reply: Posting an Replies - Thoughts?