The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

The Price Is Right

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:10 AM

How long has that show been running?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:47 AM

Since September 1972 . Longer than I've been alive. I can't imagine CBS filling an hour slot with any thing else but will see. I was reading an article on Bob and it mentioned him narrating the CBS telecast of the Rose Parade for 21 years. I had totally forgot he even did that.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:14 AM

Well, they announced his replacement. This will be different for sure:

'Price Is Right' for Drew Carey
By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer
Mon Jul 23, 11:12 PM

NEW YORK - Genial comic Drew Carey was tapped Monday to replace silver-haired legend Bob Barker on the CBS daytime game show "The Price is Right." The deal was set Monday afternoon shortly before a taping of CBS' "Late Show" with David Letterman, where he confirmed it.

"I realize what a big responsibility this is," he said. "It's only a game show, but it's the longest-running game show in American television and I plan to keep it that way."

The selection attracted more attention than usual for a daytime show because of the prospect of replacing Barker, 83. Barker retired after 35 years in the job last month following taping of his 6,586th episode.

The opening attracted widespread interest, including from comic Rosie O'Donnell after she left "The View."

Carey, 49, spent a decade on his own ABC sitcom and also was host of the improvisational game show "Whose Line is It Anyway?"

He will also be host of a new CBS prime-time game show, "The Power of 10," that will air first next month. He told The Associated Press on Monday that CBS officials first contacted him about "The Price is Right" immediately after he completed a pilot of the other game show this spring.

"My agent called me and said `I was talking to CBS casting today' and in my head I was thinking, `Oh, `CSI' guest star?' And he said what would you think about replacing Bob Barker on `The Price is Right?'"

Asked if he found the prospect of replacing such a TV legend daunting, Carey recalled talking to a friend who knows the game show business who told him, "as long as Bob Barker is cool with it, the fans will be cool with it."

"I'm cool with it," Barker said after hearing Carey's remarks.

Barker said he's not familiar enough with Carey's past performances to offer an opinion on his selection. But, he said, "I understand he ad-libs very well and that he has a very nice, friendly way of working, and I think both of those would be helpful to him on 'The Price Is Right.'"

His advice for Carey: "Go out there and do that show the way you think it should be done. Don't imitate me and don't imitate anyone else."

CBS entertainment President Nina Tassler said she was "beyond delighted" to land Carey.

"He is one of the most well-liked personalities working in entertainment, and I have no doubt his humor, charm and enthusiasm will endear him to 'Price is Right' viewers," she said.

While Carey said doesn't know Barker personally, the younger comedian said he was comfortable that his predecessor would be accepting when he took on the job.

The negotiation process was nerve-racking. While he was talking with CBS about the job, Carey said he got a call from another lawyer in Hollywood who told him one of his clients was offered "The Price is Right" job.

He figured CBS had lined up back-ups if the first choice did not come through.

"If I was going after a second baseman, I wouldn't just talk to one second baseman," the Cleveland Indians fan said. "If I were the general manager, I would be talking to a few second basemen."
Old 07-24-2007, 07:16 AM

Thank goodness they didn't choose Rosie O'Donnell.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:58 AM

I think Drew Carey is an excelent choice. Maybe he can add a little humor to the show. You know besides the "have your pet spade or neutered" thing.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:47 AM
jx3

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I just watched the "New TPIR" w/ Drew Cary.

Yes, I know he is new to the show, but it lacked the "warmth" that Bob Barker had brought to the show. Maybe that will come w/ time. And w/ Drew came a few new models, younger as well! They updated the colors of the show a bit......it is now brighter, from the curtains that enclose the audience to some of the stage sets. All the games were the same or slightly altered versions of pre-existing ones. The contestants (for the most parts), on the other hand, were a lot younger than those who came to see Bob, and most of them seemed clueless!!

Maybe it was the order they are airing the episodes, but the first one seemed quite contrived, as the contestants won 6 for 6 . Also there were 2 thousand dollar winners on the "Big Wheel", 1 out of each group of three.

And on a very positive note..........

"Remember to spay and neuter your pets" is still the final line!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:03 PM

I am NOT enbarrassed to admit I have no life, and watched Drew Carey host the show. I think he did just fine. I would like him to change that line to"Remember to have your neighbor's kids spayed or neutered".
Old 10-15-2007, 06:26 PM

I haven't got to see it!!! Darn work thing!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
I haven't got to see it!!! Darn work thing!!!
2 syllables.............

TiVo !!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 12:00 AM

Missed it today, had something come up and had to make a run.

Quick Reply: The Price Is Right