The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Production Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:37 PM

Thumbs up Production Camaro

Good day Y'all,

So I was watching a national news program this evening here in Canada and they had a story about the new Camaro. Apparently GM is supposed to release news on Thursday that the Camaro is going into production and will be a 2008 model.

Also, they had said that it is likely that the Camaro will be Canadian made like the previous Camaro's. It was rumored that the Oshawa plant will take on the Camaro production. Good for GM to decide to make it and it's really good to hear that it might be Canadian made. The Oshawa plant is among the best plants and should have a high build quality. It's nice to that GM hopefully won't "cheap out" on this fine car.

If this story is true I will be one of the first in line at my local dealership to put down my deposit for the 2008 Camaro.

Let's hope all goes well, adios!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:46 PM

lets hope gm remembers what killed the sales of the last camaros and firebirds and keeps them at a reasonable price
Old 08-07-2006, 07:49 PM

From Edmunds.com

Report: GM To Reveal Camaro Plans This Week
Date posted: 08-07-2006

DETROIT — General Motors is about to make it official.

As reported earlier this year, GM is planning to produce the Chevy Camaro in mid-to-late 2008 as a 2009 model, according to supplier sources. But according to a report in the Detroit Free Press, GM will make production plans official during a speech this week by Chairman Rick Wagoner at a conference in Traverse City.

Consumers and media alike have been buzzing since the Camaro concept was unveiled in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. It will be aimed at the same audience — mostly aging Baby Boomers — as the Ford Mustang and the soon-to-be-revived Dodge Challenger.

The Free Press said the production Camaro is expected to be offered with a choice of three engines, including a V6 and two V8s. The car will be built on the same rear-wheel-drive platform as the next-generation Pontiac GTO and one or two new sport sedans from Chevy and Pontiac.

What this means to you: GM couldn't sit on such a winner at a time when they need them. But how long a lifespan will all these neo-muscle cars have in an era of $3-plus per gallon of gas?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:07 PM

WOW. That's going to be my next car after the HHR is paid up.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:09 PM

Sounds interesting. I did not know high prices kept the last gen Camaros from gaining an audience. I always thought they had a built in audience. You know, folks who want a Pony car but won't buy Ford.

Around here in the northeast, Camaro of all vintages sucked in the snow. I never understood why anyone who owned them drove them all year.
To make them work in the snow one had to put skinny studded snows on which kind of defeats the car's purpose. I used to mange a Gulf station in the early '80s and did a lot of tires. Many on Pony cars to get them through the winter.
I like cars that can be driven in all weather when necessary. I have employees who have a Camaro, something from the last batch I think, I don't pay attention. It is a real gamble in the snow. Sometimes I let them go home early if a snow storm is coming.
Other than that the cars seem interesting. But I'm not pony car guy.

They brought back a good look to the Mustang, I'll say that! However, I prefer the Thunderbird Convertible that just got discontinued!

I'm glad retro is in and with gas prices the way they are going, I'm glad we own HHRs!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:18 PM

Good find on the edmund's site Deb. Sounds like things are really going to start to happen. I'm excited. I'm going to start saving my pennies for gas when that guy comes out. It'll be cool to have one of those even if it sits in the garage most days.
Like Harpo mentioned these things probably won't be good in the snow and since we have snow for about 5 months or more every year it won't see too much action. But it will be sweet!!