The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Random Rant- Dealership sold the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Random Rant- Dealership sold the car

I just need to rant to people who can understand the annoyance. So we have been talking to a dealership since last Wednesday. It was for an 02 Saleen with only 35k on it, but was 4k+ under blue book. We told them Friday we had the temp aproval from the bank, and we needed the final numbers so the bank could do final aproval. Well this morning then tell us it was sold Saturday. We sent 3 emails and called once Saturday, and they didn't reply to email or call us back. The car was 6 hours away so we were not going to just drive down for no reason without it being aproved and ready. Needless to say we are a bit miffed right now. What the hell? grumble. end mini rant.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Deceased

Wow, what schmucks! I was going to ask if you got the info back from Saleen on the car, but I guess its pointless now. Did you have a deposit on it, or were they holding it on a verbal for you? If it was me I'd call the GM at the dealership and raise all sorts of hell. Bummer that you got burned this way, but something better will come along.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Did you have a deposit on it
That was my question as well.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:30 AM

Nope no deposit since we were financing 100% of it since it was so much below bluebook. So mostly just annoyed that they didn't even contact us prior to sale saturday and say hey look we have someone here, get your bank to send things down.

Oh and the GM at the dealership was who I was emailing back and forth, so that won't help much.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:21 AM

I know it sucks, but unless you put something down on it, cars will sell to those signing on the dotted line.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 AM

Sad, but exactly the point. Buyer shows up with money. Do they risk you NOT getting the final approval and potentially losing BOTH of the customers? Or sell to the person who is standing in the dealership ready to sign.

Sucks, but that's the way it is. I once put $100 down over the phone to hold a truck until I could drive to the dealership two days later. Worked out great.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:55 AM

The thing was the final aproval was waiting on them. We had sent them messages the bank needed a final number, we had been aproved for more then what should have been needed but the bank couldn't write the check without the exact number, so in a way there lack of quick response if what kept up from having the aproval. Slightly annoying, but then with how much peopele's words can't be trusted anymore it is not suprising though.

I guess I was just spoiled by the dealership my HHR was from. As soon as I told them I was in the works with my bank they put it on hold for me with no money down and just my word. Held it for 2 weeks till I could get it all delt with and deliver set up since it wasn't local.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
I understand the stupidity of dealerships. In 2005 (about a month before the HHR's hit the dealer lots), we saw a 1999 Volvo wagon (silver and only 15K miles) at a dealership. We went in and we were ready to buy it (we were driving a Mercury Mountaineer at the time). The dealer said here was a few people in earlier to look at it. We asked if we could take it for a test drive, and he said the people who were looking at it, went for lunch to talk it over, and guess what they did, they took the keys with them.

We were ready to purchase it right then and there... no financing, straight cash (bank draft) within 10 minutes.

They already had my number (I gave them my business card when we first got there).

Well we left, and later that afternoon, we got a call from the dealer saying those people decided not to buy it, and was wondering if we're still intereted. I told him we were, but we were not going to buy from a dealership that was so negligent and who threw away a for-sure sale.

In september 2005, we saw the commercials for the HHR, and we bought one.

Last edited by Nor-Cal HHR Club; 12-06-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Rest In Peace

The OLD saying is soooo True..........

Money Talks.

BS Walks.

You know how many times a day they hear "I WANT the car", LOTS.

Same when selling anything on CraigsList, First come with CASH, First served.

I got my loan done Online, Had Approval within 15 minutes, and they Overnighted me the blank check for 12.00 I think it was. Could have waited 4-5 business days for it without the 12.00 overnite fee but I WANTED the HHR Panel and did NOT want to take a chance of it being Sold while I waited for the check to arrive.

Cash down and signing the papers while you Waited would have also Locked you into the car you wanted.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
...... did NOT want to take a chance of it being Sold while I waited for the check to arrive.

And he knew I was about to buy it myself.....

Quick Reply: Random Rant- Dealership sold the car