The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

RC Pilots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Maybe you RC guys have seen this. I just received this in an e-mail and thought it was pretty neat...
http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv
I actually have that video bookmarked and watch it all the time. The b-29 by itself is very cool, but with the rocket powered X-1, it's amazing! Thank you Snoopy for posting the video.

BTW, if you have never seen RC planes with real jet turbine engines, that is a treat. They are easy to find on YouTube. We go to the Scott AFB Air Show every year, and in the morning, they have RC jets put on a demonstration, and it is awesome. They look and sound just like their big brothers, just smaller.

Here is one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbiNIF_3Zcw
Old 08-22-2008, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Maybe you RC guys have seen this. I just received this in an e-mail and thought it was pretty neat...
http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv
I was wondering if Chuck Yeager was gonna light up the rocket on the Bell X1, or if it was just a glider. That be cool. Now they need on-board cameras.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
I was wondering if Chuck Yeager was gonna light up the rocket on the Bell X1, or if it was just a glider. That be cool. Now they need on-board cameras.
We sort of have on-board cameras now . Many are taking their digital cameras with video feature and taping them to the planes and filming flights. My Brother in Law has done this, and it turned out very good. I've not tried it yet, but will in the near future. Also many videos on YouTube of this. It's amazing how light these RC planes are, yet you can still strap on the weight of a camera, and they will fly, though you will need to be careful, especially in a head wind.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:18 AM

Yeah, I bought one of those $50 color TV wireless cameras that run off a 9v battery for my CX2, but I still haven't put it all together yet. I got the bug watching such videos and bought the stuff but it sits on the shelf.

Maybe this afternoon...
Old 08-22-2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
Yeah, I bought one of those $50 color TV wireless cameras that run off a 9v battery for my CX2, but I still haven't put it all together yet. I got the bug watching such videos and bought the stuff but it sits on the shelf.

Maybe this afternoon...
Cool If you upload it to YouTube let me know, I'd love to see it. I'll be doing this as well when I get the guts strap my digital camera to my plane.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 AM

I started flying R/C planes back in 1973 with my dad. We flew together until I moved out of state in 1987. I haven't done much flying since then. It is a great hobby to get into, especially with a family member. I have consider re-entering the hobby, but have not made the commitment just yet. Too many other thing going on.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by BigMOCats
I've done cars and boats over the years..........planes cost to much to crash!
I smoked a $450 trainer on maiden voyage take-off roll. Took me weeks to build that plane, about 30 seconds to see it veer off the runway and smack into a low rail border fence (like a landscape fence only metal and stouter) and splinter into about a hundred pieces.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I smoked a $450 trainer on maiden voyage take-off roll. Took me weeks to build that plane, about 30 seconds to see it veer off the runway and smack into a low rail border fence (like a landscape fence only metal and stouter) and splinter into about a hundred pieces.
Fences are very hard on RC planes. I brushed a chain link coming in for a landing. Chewed the foam up pretty goodon the wing tip. Since I was clsoe to the ground and gliding in slow, the crash was not too bad.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I was at a national guard course to fly a styrofoam RC airplane which we use for target engangement and such. Didn't realize the plane was upside down so instead of turning left it turned right and down making a nice window aka hole in the metal pullbarn Wasn't much left of that plane either
Old 09-02-2008, 09:36 PM

Well my flying has been put on hold for a few days waiting for parts to come in the mail. Yup I crashed it, and crashed it hard. Totally destroyed the motor mount and messed up the cowling pretty bad. It's only a $20 repair including shipping, so that's not bad. I did crack the foam fuselage in two places, but those will repair with epoxy. I know a part of flying RC is the occasional crash, but it still stinks when it happens.

Quick Reply: RC Pilots?