The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Rent

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:52 PM

Rent

We finally found a place for a decent Price and in a decent area. What should i look for as we get into the lease agreement.

Also this is a Privately owned Condo.

Man, I feel like im becoming a old man on this site. Been here since June.. First HHR then Marriage and Pre-nup and now Renting advice.

Thank God for chevyhhr.com
Old 10-18-2008, 10:17 PM

You mean chevyhhr.net, yes??

Leases are usually for a year and are costly if you have to break them. Not sure how rental laws are in your state, but I know in parts of CA they can be great for the renter and draconian for the landlord.

Berkeley has the best rent-control in that it only went up .5% every year--but could go to market value once vacated...I lived in awesome 2-bedroom off the Gourmet Ghetto (North Berkeley) for $625 a month. life was good!

Good luck!

@
Old 10-18-2008, 10:31 PM

I would say look into renter's insurance if you are not already planning on it. When I used to rent an apartment, I actually paid less for the renter's ins. and car insurance combined than I did for just car insurance before I got it.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:25 AM

I had the same thing happen... I paid $10 less per month for car + renters insurance with State Farm than I paid for car insurance alone with them.

Make sure you read your lease carefully for stuff that will/may cost you money like situations where they can hold your security deposit or costs of breaking the lease early.

An attorney will usually charge $40-50 to review your legal document and that could pay off and save you 10x that much in the future.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by a76marine
I had the same thing happen... I paid $10 less per month for car + renters insurance with State Farm than I paid for car insurance alone with them.

Make sure you read your lease carefully for stuff that will/may cost you money like situations where they can hold your security deposit or costs of breaking the lease early.

An attorney will usually charge $40-50 to review your legal document and that could pay off and save you 10x that much in the future.
We already have Renter Insurance. If we get the lease etc. We are going to try and put both car's and the Renter's insurance together under "Married" IL has nice Gay Rights we can take advantage of someone else's Rights.I believe as long as we are living together we can claimed married. Not to mention Wedding is 9 Months away and at the same time we turn 25. Needless to say We will save about 800 a year. Which will help out.

I'm talking to the owner today about the lease etc.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:28 AM

Here is my 2 cents onn renting. BECAREFUL renting from private home homes in this time of all the foreclosures that are happening you could be in a place then a couple month later have to move beause your landlord is not paying there mortgage.

Kris
Old 10-19-2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by lyntmr61
Here is my 2 cents onn renting. BECAREFUL renting from private home homes in this time of all the foreclosures that are happening you could be in a place then a couple month later have to move beause your landlord is not paying there mortgage.

Kris

Is there anyway i can get some sort of Proof that its not in Foreclosure?