The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Returning a rental car early??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:13 PM

Returning a rental car early??

I'm renting a car in San Antonio for the time I am at Lackland taking a HazMat Course. I originally was supposed to be arriving on a Sunday and leaving on a Saturday. Based on that information I rented a car.

I got my orders today and lo and behold I am now coming home on a Friday instead of Saturday. I have 2 reservations, 1 with Dollar and 1 with Alamo. Both are for really great rates compared to what they are going for now...we are talking triple the price!

I've been reading horror stories of people returning their cars early and not only paying an early return fee of usually 15 dollars per day depending how early you return it but also having their great rate thrown out and being charged whatever the going rate is that day.

I called Dollar and explained my situation and he said to keep my reservation and that I would just be charged the extra 15 dollars....that would be fine with me....

How much I trust that it will happen that way is a different story...I'd hate to get there, return the car and then get walloped with a $350 rental!

So who here has returned a car a day early and didn't get raked over the coals??

Goose
Old 07-01-2008, 02:23 PM

I have done it numerous times... I travel for work often and If I finish the job early I get an earlier flight and turn in the car... But I guess too I am Corp Frequent User too and they rarely do too much to us-- as our company as whole may do anywhere from 5k to 10K a month in just car rental with Hertz or National... so for the common person I would really check the check-in desk when you get the car --most of the time they will waive that fee if you are really nice about it...
Old 07-01-2008, 06:34 PM

Goose, when will you be in San Antonio? I'll be there from 14 - 20 July teaching a class. I get to take my HHR with me!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 PM

I'll be there right after you... 20-25

Are you teaching at Lackland? If so what course?

Goose
Old 07-02-2008, 06:47 AM

I've mostly used Alamo and have returned early a couple of times. Never any hidden charges. They charge you what you used, not reserved. I've even gotten a few bucks off for returning only a few hours early.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 AM

Goose, I'm assuming you're military and your orders are through DTS and with a military rental, there should be no other charges. Normally, the car rental is done through DTS on-line or your local TMO. Contact the commercial travel office on base and let them do the reservation.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:49 AM

My unit does not provide rental cars anymore...everything is getting tighter so this will be on my dime

Alamo is supposed to be one of the worst as far as overcharging, canceling good rates and recharging the going rate etc...which is a shame as I really like renting from Alamo more than others.

I called Dollar and the guy I spoke to said just return the car a day early and I would only have to pay a 15 dollar early return fee...they wouldn't charge me more for my rate etc etc etc...sounds great now but would hate to be turning the car in and my 132 dollar rate goes to 350 dollars! "Vince said all I would need to pay is 15 dollars".... "who the heck is Vince?"

Haven't called Alamo yet to inquire about their policy...the website says 15 dollars only but................

In fact the whole reason I have an HHR now is because 2 years ago in San Antone I rented one for a week and loved it lol...that was at Alamo

Goose
Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 PM

If you haven't picked them up Cancel them both. There is no charge for cancelled reservations unless you do the Priceline thing or do something through one of the superdiscount things.

Then go to the Avis websight and book your rental there. They are competitive with all the cheap guys at the airport and give you better cars and better service. I rent almost exclusively with Avis, and I rent over 50 times a year.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:27 AM

My class is not at Lackland. We'll be at a hotel north of the Riverwalk. Yeah, I was shocked too with funds being so tight. I work for the AF Medical Service and will be instructing on running a billing office. The more money we bring in, the more equipment the hospital can upgrade.

By the way, DTS is a dirty word! Just once I'd like to be able to complete my orders without have to do a mod.