The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Ricer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Founding Member

You would be suprised how much of the American Icon "American Made" Harley Davidson is made overseas! Should read, "American assembled"!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:22 PM

most of the fastners ( nuts/bolts) made for the harley davidson are now made in Asia, i know that...... we closed to manufacting plant so those parts could be sent over sea's
Old 08-17-2006, 08:26 PM

remember when the big deal about wal-mart was that everything there was made in America! sure aint the case now!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolfreak
remember when the big deal about Wal-mart was that everything there was made in America! sure aint the case now!!!

Wow!
Wal Mart said that once? Hmmm. As long as I've been alive the term "Made in Japan" was bandied about as some sort of denigration and realization that a lot of foreign goods were available here in the US. I'm sure Wal Mart. Like Woolworths ( My favorite of the large chains, I miss it sniff ..... ) and others have always carried a lot of stuff made where labor is cheap. It is often the quickest way to make a profit and get money back to the shareholders. Today it is practiced like a fine art and some tax laws are written to accommodate it.

I think what Wal Mart had going was the perception that its goods were made in the US and buying from Wal Mart was the right thing to do because it was/is somehow good for America. Questioning Wal Mart was seen as unpatriotic.
Somehow the mixture of politics and business has worked and it has become the de facto modus operandi for Wal Mart. Just a somehow , along the way, Wal Mart has become China's fifth ( some say seventh ) largest bushiness partner.

China needs Wal Mart. Wal Mart Needs China..at least until some real worker's rights/ higher wage thing happens, then Wal Mart will shop elsewhere for product.

It is the American thing to do
Old 08-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Wooooow......Harpo.

You surprised me !! That is not a bad commentary.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
You would be suprised how much of the American Icon "American Made" Harley Davidson is made overseas! Should read, "American assembled"!
i was a parts manager for two years at the local hardly ableson shop, youre right all the parts are taiwan, canada, korea cant remember anything from milwalkee
Old 08-17-2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Wooooow......Harpo.

You surprised me !! That is not a bad commentary.

Thanks. Just reflecting on the times we live through, I guess
Trying to look at it without too much bias, but heck, I'm human and do notice the changes that happen when wealth aggregates towards fewer and fewer individuals.

I mean, I guess we all need the cheap goods, but a lot of our jobs are moving off shore and manufacturing folks who were making a decent wage are often re employed here at lower rates of compensation ( Health packages, wages, etc ).

I know some unions get out of hand and can be blamed for some of it too. I'm not really trying to bash either sector, the working folks or the employers. Just trying to sort it out as I type. It's not really a red state/blue state thing like some make it out to be. It really boils down to class and power structure. All states are victims.

I live in a "blue" state area and all the shoe factories that once dotted the area are now abandoned or trying to reinvent themselves as either a mini-mall for the Crate and Barrel types, or condos, for the same types

Long gone too is the Keystone camera plant outside of Boston. It has been old folks housing for twenty years now. Thirty years ago I bought a Keystone camera. It proudly said " Made in Japan".......................

I'm at the computer with my new computer glasses!
They are set to focus at a round 20 inches. Better than my bifocals which I just got as I'm getting on...., and better than my driving glasses which I always have to take off unless I'm outside. Wow, three pairs of glasses at age 45

Damn, just two months ago all I had was one pair that I took off a lot I get them through my local optometrist and I do think the lenses are made in the US as the turn around time is rather quick. The frames are foreign I belive. German and South American I think.

Now for the "Ricer" part of the post. I finaly got the Imco muffler on and find the sound nice when I'm outside the car, but do not like it when I'm inside. I'll keep it on for another day but I think I'm going back to stock. Not enough gain for the amount of noise, or so it seems.......... Now where is the Imco muffler made.............?.........
Old 08-17-2006, 09:41 PM

ricers

Originally Posted by SIHHR
Civic's, Toyota Camary's, not Grade A USA beef
does that make our hhrs, beaners?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:06 PM

it does kinda seem like a slur....but I just may be a lil sensitive

You guys confirmed my suspicion, I was just hoping it was something different
Old 08-18-2006, 12:09 AM

I always got the impression that the name "ricer" came from the so called rice burner exhaust pipe.

Quick Reply: Ricer?