The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Ricer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:24 AM
Deceased

i raced a Hodaka 100 CC motorcycle for 17 years. wasnt an american made bike that could keep up w it. i rarely placed out of the top 3 in my class on the pro enduro circuit i raced on

i bought a honda CB400T Hawk then a Goldwing

my bike is called a ricer all the time i have owned a Goldwing since 85. they are made in Ohio from parts made in Japan and the US

Harleys have parts from around 17 diff companies and assembled in Ohio and not at the original factory. they make the engines and Buehlers there

its all about style and what you like. alot of the ricer cars come from the car movies like Fast and Furious and that influence on kids in junior high and high school and they get old enough to drive a car and they want one that looks like those movies.

its all about the influences we have on us today and our lives and how it shapes our likes and dislikes

i personally would never own a harley, dont like their clutches, the vibration, the loud exhaust and i am not a crusier bike fan. i drive long distances and i like comfort, the ability to listen to my CDs, CB and music. i also like the crushed velour seat top i have on my bike and it is more comfrotable than most cars and to be honest i havent found a Harley that can keep up w me on long trips pulling a trailer and just flat out riding fast and long and hard.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:34 AM

You pull trailers with your motorcycle?!!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:59 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Kar Krazie
You pull trailers with your motorcycle?!!
i used to pull this w my 1984 GL1200
the trailer was 3 ft wide and 10 ft long, aliminum, full swivel trailer hitch that i made myself w a friend.
I would go to rallies and unload and sleep in the trailer. sell at the rallies and then load up and go back.

i went to every state pulling that trailer cept AK, HI, WA, ID, OR and i went to all the rest on that bike pulling that trailer. it was aerodynamic and i still got 40 mpg pulling at 80+

i did the Eyes of Texas Tour- 30 courthouses around the state. 25 for a pin and 30 for a patch and a pin. drove over 7000 miles doing all 30 courthouses

back rest, sheepskin seat cover and a fairing bra on the front of the bike to keep the bugs off and the front clean

Name:  WingNTraileronTexasTour.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  89.6 KB
Old 08-18-2006, 06:23 AM

I read this thread with a open mind type eye, but I would like to remind you that to call someones ride a Ricer or Beaner, is likely to start a small War.
Neither of these names/terms conjure up good visions/relationships.!!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:03 AM

my thoughts exactly...but you do see it a lot on the boards and something just didn't feel "right" about it. I never noticed anyone take offense or anything, but the purpose of the thread is to find out so that if we are using a term that's offesive to a specific demographic (unknowingly), we could clean it up. Thats all.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Banned

Beaner is definitely a racially derogatory term but not ricer. Ricer is a car term. I know a couple members of an asain car club called the asian persuasion. They use the term rice and ricer as do several other asians I know. None of them get offended when you use it because they know you are talking about a type of car, not a type of people. Of course I can't speak for everyone, only the people I know.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by teech
I never noticed anyone take offense or anything, but the purpose of the thread is to find out so that if we are using a term that's offesive to a specific demographic (unknowingly), we could clean it up.
No matter what you do or say nobody is going to stop using the term rice or ricer. You're fighting a lossing battle is that's your intent.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:30 AM

I just don't wanna use it if it carries that kinda weight. You're right people are gonna say what they want and I'm not trying to save the world; but people ignorant to the term (such as myself) may stray from it if they find that it may be offensive to some people. Others won't care and that's their business.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by teech
why ricer though?
This all started way back when the US first started importing Japanese bikes like the "Nifty-Thrifty Honda 50" and the miriad of other inexpensive Japanese brands. These were often referred to as "Rice Bikes", and the people who bought them were termed "Ricer" by those riding american branded bikes. This is because unlike the US where potatoes are the primary staple food, for Asians rice is the primary staple. And as the sport compact scene began to take root the term "Ricer" was carried over to this group because it's main stay was Japanese imports, Honda being the leader. But now as there are more and more american branded compacts being used in the "Sport Compact" arena it seems like anything anyone does to his / her car, truck, bike, or boat that is a bit outlandish get's labeled as "Ricer". So I guess what once was somewhat of a slur towards Asians has become quite diversified, and now everyone, any race, any type of vehicle can be termed a "RICER"...LOL

BTW: I am a ricer.....really, I'm Filipino and eat rice almost every day...

I am not and never have been offended by this term.

Remember, no one can offend you....but you can chose to be offended
Old 08-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Banned

I think Dan just summed it up better than any of us have so far!

Quick Reply: Ricer?