The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Ricer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
You know Guys/Gals, there`s a real fine line between like and hate. There are so many different opinions on a subject like this, that the only safe zone is not to use any of these types of terms. There are many, many, African-Americans, who use the "N", word on a daily bases. BUT, if you say it to the wrong person, even one who uses it, look out.
It`s just too touching a subject to be so nonchalant.
That's why I wanted to know where it came from before I tossed it out in a conversation and found myself in a situation. I can't tell you how many times I've been in converstation with people who say stuff that could be percieved as offensive to black people and REALLY HAVE NO CLUE that somebody else might just bust their chops! Most times I let them know and give a backgound on why, and everybody is cool, no harm no foul.

Just like in the profanity post, people are gonna say what they want, even if its behind your back (you can only hope that if someone comes forward with something offensive to them or a demographic, that out of respect for them, you be considerate; this however, does not apply to bigotry or ignorance). Its up to individuals to govern themselves accordingly, as their personal belief system will permit.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:31 PM

This is hilarious

WARNING : DIRTY WORDS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eaDX0dVjHc
Old 08-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Hey right at the end.....the guy wearing the t-shirt....I think it had the SoCal HHR logo underneath...
Old 08-28-2006, 07:55 PM

I'm kinda on the fence but it is such a well known/used term that it could only be concidered a racially derogatory term if its used in a manor not related to cars or bikes....in my town there's a bike repair shop called "Apple Pie and Rice" don't know to many folks that would take Apple Pie a racially derogatory term...

but in the future I will not use the derogatory term Ford in any of my posts
Old 10-01-2006, 09:05 AM

In the '50s when the Japanese scooters first appeared, they were termed "rice burners" by those of us who rode American or Brittish bikes. Had no reflection on the asian people at all, only the fuel that they utilized. The term carried over to the first cars imported from Japan & somewhere along the way was shortened to "ricer", still no reflection on asian people. The HHR & its better looking, faster, better selling brother the PT Cruiser, could be called "bean burners" with no reflection on any hispanic person, living or dead. Now when I was a kid, cars that were dumped to the ground, fore & aft, were called by some, "taco wagons" because the style originated East L.A. That was definately a racial slur.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by bintang
The HHR & its better looking, faster, better selling brother the PT Cruiser, could be called "bean burners" with no reflection on any hispanic person, living or dead.
Them's fight'n words you know.

The "classification" of a car is generally linked to the location of the company and the majority of its engineering, not where a car is built. Cars from all manufacturers are built all over the world. It is a global community after all.

The HHR is not a Mexican car just because GM builds it there. Many of the "Big 3" build cars in Canada...have never seen a reference to a Canadian car.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by bintang
In the '50s when the Japanese scooters first appeared, they were termed "rice burners" by those of us who rode American or Brittish bikes. Had no reflection on the asian people at all, only the fuel that they utilized. The term carried over to the first cars imported from Japan & somewhere along the way was shortened to "ricer", still no reflection on asian people. The HHR & its better looking, faster, better selling brother the PT Cruiser, could be called "bean burners" with no reflection on any hispanic person, living or dead. Now when I was a kid, cars that were dumped to the ground, fore & aft, were called by some, "taco wagons" because the style originated East L.A. That was definately a racial slur.
I've heard this term used in this regard many times. Rice burner, Rice rocket, crotch rocket, anything of asian decent (Honda, Toyota, Yamaha, Suzuki, Mitzibitshi). I always felt it was that the fuel was made from rice to run these as I've even heard it used in regards to some airplanes.
Bean burner?....yea we grow beans in the America's, and boy do they make gas..........LMAO
Old 10-01-2006, 12:23 PM

If this was High School or Elementary, You guys could use the theory that you don`t know about other nationalities BUZZ words or what people consider offensive. But you are Adults now ( I presume ) and You`re trying to go a long way around the block to pretend that it`s all in good fun.
I can only hope that you donot find yourself offguard and say some of these things.
Anyone who says he doesn`t care what others say about him is either lying to himself or everyone else. ( but lets see ) If it`s true he wont answer back...
Old 10-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by nfboy
Them's fight'n words you know.

The "classification" of a car is generally linked to the location of the company and the majority of its engineering, not where a car is built. Cars from all manufacturers are built all over the world. It is a global community after all.

The HHR is not a Mexican car just because GM builds it there. Many of the "Big 3" build cars in Canada...have never seen a reference to a Canadian car.
nfboy......

I disagree. Many of the consumers, here in the States, who own vehicles manufactured in Canada refer to them as ...excuse the expression...."a Canuk", with pride. A truck or car manufactured there is generally considered "better built", than a Mexico or U.S. counterpart. In fact, I think several plants in Canada are recognized as the specific manufacturers top quality plants.

You know, I feel I need to add this .....

I believe that we ALL have become TO sensitive. Jokes...can't be jokes, without offending. Slang terms...can't be slang terms without offending. Hell...geographic locations cannot be identified without offending (common in my state). Even common everyday, historical and scientific terms offend. This is getting stupid. If something is discussed, said, written or displayed without INTENT of hurting someone else.....let it go. We, as humans, even lost our ability to distinquish between harmfull intent and harmless intent!!!

Last edited by Snoopy; 10-01-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
nfboy......

I disagree. Many of the consumers, here in the States, who own vehicles manufactured in Canada refer to them as ...excuse the expression...."a Canuk", with pride. A truck or car manufactured there is generally considered "better built", than a Mexico or U.S. counterpart. In fact, I think several plants in Canada are recognized as the specific manufacturers top quality plants.

You know, I feel I need to add this .....

I believe that we ALL have become TO sensitive. Jokes...can't be jokes, without offending. Slang terms...can't be slang terms without offending. Hell...geographic locations cannot be identified without offending (common in my state). Even common everyday, historical and scientific terms offend. This is getting stupid. If something is discussed, said, written or displayed without INTENT of hurting someone else.....let it go. We, as humans, even lost our ability to distinquish between harmfull intent and harmless intent!!!
The purpose of this thread was to avoid offending unintentionally. I have had several experiences were somebody was just saying things in ignorance that were extremely offensive...just because they didn't know better. I didn't want to use a term that could spit in the face of somebody else. I wanted to be sure before I tossed it around. I also think its important to check ourselves sometimes and not rely on the "i didn't know excuse". I personally get sick of hearing it and in this day and age, its getting more difficult to just not know.

Quick Reply: Ricer?