The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Ricer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:52 PM

Teech, as you can see, there is no (1) way to answer this question. You can see where to some it`s "ANYTHING GOES", to some "PLAY IT SAFE", you`ll have to decide which crowd you`re in ,when the situation presents it`s self.
With a little luck , everyone will leave in one piece.
Great Question, Good Luck... B/B
Old 10-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

O'K teech....

I'm not arguing the point.

But, did you get a clear concise answer? Are you altering your useage or attitude because of it? I

'm just saying some people take offense and some don't. That is why I qualified "canuck". I did not wish to, or have intent to, offend the feelings of those people who may object to that word. It's hard to determine what is and what isn't.....in a lot of cases. Isn't one of the professional sports teams named that? What's wrong with the Washington Redskins name, when it historically has been accepted, but objected to, NOW. What is wrong with the "tomahawk chop" when it has no meaning by the fans to defame the Native-American??

Now, it's a different matter, agreeably, when someone stands in front of me and shouts, "you rag-head, camel-jockey, rug weaver" or whatever. But, I am fortunate enough to have a sense of humor when someone tells a joke about my ethnic background (which there are many right now)...and I can laugh.

That's my point about "ricer". The history for the term is there to show that the intent was not to hurt a person or group of ethnicity. Currently, it's about a class of car...frankly, mostly driven by anglo and hispanic men.

And, I understand your position as a teacher....which to say the least, is delicate. But as such, are you not obligated to be extra careful, to not offend anyone. That's the point I am making.....out of control.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
O'K teech....

I'm not arguing the point.

But, did you get a clear concise answer? Are you altering your useage or attitude because of it? I

'm just saying some people take offense and some don't. That is why I qualified "canuck". I did not wish to, or have intent to, offend the feelings of those people who may object to that word. It's hard to determine what is and what isn't.....in a lot of cases. Isn't one of the professional sports teams named that? What's wrong with the Washington Redskins name, when it historically has been accepted, but objected to, NOW. What is wrong with the "tomahawk chop" when it has no meaning by the fans to defame the Native-American??

Now, it's a different matter, agreeably, when someone stands in front of me and shouts, "you rag-head, camel-jockey, rug weaver" or whatever. But, I am fortunate enough to have a sense of humor when someone tells a joke about my ethnic background (which there are many right now)...and I can laugh.

That's my point about "ricer". The history for the term is there to show that the intent was not to hurt a person or group of ethnicity. Currently, it's about a class of car...frankly, mostly driven by anglo and hispanic men.

And, I understand your position as a teacher....which to say the least, is delicate. But as such, are you not obligated to be extra careful, to not offend anyone. That's the point I am making.....out of control.
Understood. I can agree that there is a lot cow-towing and such...it can be annoying. Id say my race makes me more sensitive than my profession, but I personally don't jump to get offended when I hear something that others of my ethinicity would fight over.

I never did get a clear cut answer, but something about it, just doesn't feel right to me, so I'll probably never use it. Im not in any arena, other than this one, where it would even come up, so its no skin off my nose. I'd probalby have to use more effort to use it than not to.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Now, it's a different matter, agreeably, when someone stands in front of me and shouts, "you rag-head, camel-jockey, rug weaver" or whatever.
Does that make me a gold chain wearing, pasta eating, brick layer? Like you pointed out a lot of it is the context a term is used. I have never been the type to be offended by someone making fun of my ethnic background. I laugh at comedians who make stereotype jokes because even though they are stereotypes you always seem to know a friend or family member that fits the profile. Even when I have somebody in front of me being mean about my ethnic background it doesn't make me mad or hurt, it just makes me realize the persons ignorance. I guess everybody is different though. I have never felt the term rice or ricer is an any form a derogatory term about Asians because it is only used for cars. Like I said earlier, I know Asians that use the term.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Capt....

I'm getting to like you more and more....even if you are a "spaghetti bender".

From The Sand-Swimmer.

It's a joke folks...just to break the tone. I'm done with my soap box on this issue.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:50 PM

and i guess that would make me the clod-kickin redneck in the psychobilly hhr... 'course if someone starts playin duelin banjos, im outta here
Old 10-12-2006, 09:34 PM

remember kids....

i made that back when i was on a firebird board, lol... it still cracks me up
Old 10-13-2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by fantomfreke
and i guess that would make me the clod-kickin redneck in the psychobilly hhr... 'course if someone starts playin duelin banjos, im outta here
Good to see some other briars out there!

Y'all can call me Kraut/pollock/redneck/briar/redface/engine smokem peace pipe/englishman/Mutt/Heinz 57.....and probably a lot of other things. It won't bother me a bit. I am proud of the many things that make up my heritage. To my knowlege, I do not have any Hispanic in my genetic code, but I love mexican food. So I guess you can even call me beaner (cause I love refried beans).
In the immortal words of Rodney King...."Can't we all just get along?"

Kum by ya, my lord.....kum by ya!!!!!