The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Roadtrip to SW, Need Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:29 PM

Roadtrip to SW, Need Suggestions

Hey folks,

A couple of years ago I went on a roadtrip with a few friends in which we hit Zion National Park in Utah and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

This year I'm trying to plan a trip with my girlfriend to do roughly the same things but also see a little bit more. My plan is to start in Zion for 2 nights, drive down to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and spend a few hours there and then head over to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico.

I think I'd like to do a drive from Zion to Albequerque and spend the night there and then move on to Carlsbad. This should provide enough time to stop at the Grand Canyon and anything else interesting along the way to Albe.

Having never driven between the Grand Canyon and Albe. or Albe. and Carlsbad, I would like to know if there are a few must stop and see things. I know the trip from Albe. to Carlsbad passes through Roswell so there's probably some alien stuff to see.

Any suggestions and input from you southern folks would be awesome.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:28 PM

If you get near Page Arizona be sure and take in the tour of Antelope canyon. It was a trully amazing tour!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:52 PM

Hey since you are doing Zion, you have to do Bryce canyon and stay at Best Western Ruby's http://www.rubysinn.com/ big place and if I had only one place to see, Zion or Bryce, I would do Bryce. Went out there in 1984 and only did Zion, went back in 2004 and saw Bryce and it was great. At Page, Az(the town never existed until they started building the damn) tour the damn, leave all your junk in your pockets in the car, they run metal detectors up an down you before you can go in, even check your shoes. If you get toward Mesa Verde (cliff dwillings) near Cortez in SW corner of Colorado, that is amazing how those Indians built on the side of a cliff, park ranger takes you down on a path but you climb steep ladders on the return route to the top. (best be in good shape and no heart problems)
I'd pay $10 a gal for gas if I could do that trip again and might have to some day.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Thanks guys, I've been wanting to go to Bryce for some time now. Because this trip is pretty short and we have a lot of ground to cover I'm going to stick with Zion because I was there recently and know what to see and where to spend my time. If we could spend a few more days down there I'd head to Bryce and see something new. I've been to the cliff dwelling before as well. It is a cool place but again time just won't allow for a stop over. I'd like to go to Los Alamos and surrounding area but there is just not enough time.