The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Shandy

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:50 PM

Shandy

Who has had one and opinions?

Goose
Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 PM

we talking about the drink or something i don't know about?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 PM

You mean the drink?

I used to live in England (don't want to say how long ago that was! ) and my boyfriend at the time (a Geordie) preferred I drink those (thought it was more feminine) instead of a pint...they were good.

@...
Old 08-11-2008, 08:42 PM

leinenkugels summer shandy? yes they are good for those hot afternoons out on the deck or while washing the HHR!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:05 AM

Yep the drink! I discovered it when I was at the English pub at Epoct this summer...half Harp or Bass and half 7 up or Sprite. The kid waiting on us said that is what they serve to "beginning beer drinkers" I could have given a rat's azz on that part as I have drank more than my share of every type of beer from the Hofbrauhaus in Germany to the stuff they serve in Turkey that tastes like anti freeze

I really like the taste of the 2 together...just thought it was funny when I was in the bar at Fridays the other night asked for one...bartender was like "what??" After I explained it to him he just shrugged his shoulders and said "If you say so"

I will say I draw the line with Clamato and beer...Chellada or some crap like that?? I was at Hooters in San Antonio a few weeks ago and ordered a Miller Chill beer....(new line and salt one) Maybe it is the New England accent or what but she brought me this awful looking thing...figured what the hell give it a taste.....sip........ Thought I was going to heave right then and there....sent it back to get the beer I ordered...yuck

To top it all off I see the Chellada at my supermarket last night It was a can of Bud pre mixed...you gotta be kidding me...that stuff tasted like weasle wizz.....

Goose
Old 08-12-2008, 07:25 AM

although doing it half and half with 7 up or sprite is accepted as a shandy (and might be why they looked at you kind of funny for requesting it this way afterwards) the more proper way to do it is with half beer half lemonade. I think it's a nice refreshing change and not for "beginners" at all, just a different flavor for a different mood.

Another one good to try is a snakebite. Half Guinness (or the beer of your choice) and half hard cider. I've seen this called a black apple as well. If you do it with guinness and you know how to do it right you can float the cider on the guinness (think the look of a black and tan).

I'm a pretty avid beer drinker. Read that as not a guy who loves to get blitzed on bud light every night of the week but a guy who actually loves beer. In the town i lived before this we had about 4 or 5 microbrews within 15 minutes (Anyone know Kalamazoo? it's where Bell's beer is from if you know that). I'm also a member of a beer of the month club. Custom 12 pack from around the country each month. Good times.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:29 AM

Remember, lemonade overseas is the accepted name for Sprite or 7 up..sometimes there is some confusion there....if you are expecting real lemonade as we know it in the States you will be bummed as it will be Sprite or 7 up

Some people are known to use Ginger ale as well

Goose
Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 AM

I Like Leinenkugels Summer Wheat Beer, & Its Hint Of Orange. Very Quenching Beer. Always Liked The Berry Weiss Also. These Are Just Refreshing Changes Of Pace Sometimes.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Goose
Yep the drink! I discovered it when I was at the English pub at Epoct this summer
Thanks for the heads up on this! With all the time I've spent wandering around EPCOT and having fish & chips at the pub, I've not heard of this. Will definately have to give it a try on my next trip at the end of October.

It is, after all, the Food and Wine Festival..........seems appropriate enough.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 AM

What are the dates of that? I would love to do that!

Goose