The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Shoppers ignore dying victim!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Why does the media and people on this site like to blow crap out of proportion. I'm sorry but if I see someone laying there bleeding I am not going to touch them or try to help. I'll call 911 but that's it. You guys are assuming that the people could have helped and didn't but maybe they are like me and couldn't. I know for damn sure that I don't know how to stop the bleeding of a stabbing victim especially if it's to a vital area. I'm not a doctor, paramedic, trained in first aid, or any of that crap. Secondly there is no way I am going to come in contact with an unknown persons bodily fluids. Why do you think paramedics protect themselves and protective gear like rubber gloves and a mask thing so you can give mouth to mouth without contact are included in a first aid kit? Diseases can be passed through blood! For me it would have nothing to do with compassion being emotionally detached or anything like that. It would be simple logic that I don't know what to properly do so if I did try to help I would make matters worse and I am not going to put my own life at risk playing in potentially AIDS infested blood. IMO if you did try to help you would be a moron without the proper training or protection.
I'm with you on this one... If you're not a person trained in the medical field, what could you really do to help besides call 911? If you don't know what you're doing, there's a bigger chance of you making things worse than making them better.

As for the cellphone camera... I guess some people get their jollies of things that others deem sick and immoral.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
What a lack of morals!!

Good Samaratin Law protects those who render aid.

kentucky doesnt have a good samaritan law. i found this out the night i kept a kid (i say kid, im talking 15-17 years old) from being beat to death by some guys at a local park. they had jumped him and 2 of them had bats. one had the kids head and was bouncing it off the concrete, another was wailing on him with the bat while the rest took turns kicking him. i went to intervene, caught a bat to the head for my trouble (ten stitches above the left orbital) and had to go toe to toe with a few while waiting for the police. (yay me i didnt get knocked down) police arrived and informed me that since the group that i saw attacking claimed (the only witnesses btw) that the kid started the altercation that i came in on the part of the aggressor. even though i stopped him from being even more seriously injured, if by no other means than giving them someone else to beat on, i was myself an aggressor. if i pressed charges i would be the one going to jail because they could in turn press charges for the damage i caused to them while trying to help. the only thing that happened was that the ones that used the bats went to jail.

so the damages were
1 kid in critical because they messed him up.
10 stiches to me
one broken kneecap (not me)
2 broken noses (again not me lol)
and assorted bruises

lesson learned... be very leary of helping out, even in a situation that seems to be self explanatory. very sad to say but true.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:32 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by fantomfreke
kentucky doesnt have a good samaritan law. i found this out the night i kept a kid (i say kid, im talking 15-17 years old) from being beat to death by some guys at a local park.
Good samaritan laws are for those who are helping victims who have been injured, not being injured. But I applaud you for you helping someone who obviously could no longer defend himself, even if he "started it".
Old 07-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by fantomfreke
kentucky doesnt have a good samaritan law. i found this out the night i kept a kid (i say kid, im talking 15-17 years old) from being beat to death by some guys at a local park. they had jumped him and 2 of them had bats. one had the kids head and was bouncing it off the concrete, another was wailing on him with the bat while the rest took turns kicking him. i went to intervene, caught a bat to the head for my trouble (ten stitches above the left orbital) and had to go toe to toe with a few while waiting for the police. (yay me i didnt get knocked down) police arrived and informed me that since the group that i saw attacking claimed (the only witnesses btw) that the kid started the altercation that i came in on the part of the aggressor. even though i stopped him from being even more seriously injured, if by no other means than giving them someone else to beat on, i was myself an aggressor. if i pressed charges i would be the one going to jail because they could in turn press charges for the damage i caused to them while trying to help. the only thing that happened was that the ones that used the bats went to jail.

so the damages were
1 kid in critical because they messed him up.
10 stiches to me
one broken kneecap (not me)
2 broken noses (again not me lol)
and assorted bruises

lesson learned... be very leary of helping out, even in a situation that seems to be self explanatory. very sad to say but true.
I believe the Good Sam Law applies ONLY to rendered FIRST AID, not for stopping or engaging in an existing fight.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I believe the Good Sam Law applies ONLY to rendered FIRST AID, not for stopping or engaging in an existing fight.
there are some states (not sure which) which have good samaritans laws pertaining to helping a victim during the commission of a crime. they were originally written for abuse/domestic cases, but in some cases have been extended to include assaults, robberies, rapes etc. but kentucky is not one of them.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:25 PM

fantomfreke, you didn`t by chance , in your encounter, see anyone with a stop watch, timing how long it took someone to call 9-1-1.
That seemed to be almost as bad as not jumping on the person and administering first-aid/cpr.
If the theory is to wait until the action stops before you start helping, well of course someone is gonna want your picture posted as a by-stander, not willing to help/ease the suffering...
It`s real easy to become THE victim, in the Nation of Litigation...
Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
fantomfreke, you didn`t by chance , in your encounter, see anyone with a stop watch, timing how long it took someone to call 9-1-1.
i was a lil busy bobbing and weaving, lol, but if theres ever a next time i'll be sure to look around and see if anybodys counting
Old 07-10-2007, 01:31 AM

It's a question of character, some have it, some don't. Anybody that stood by and did nothing is lacking what separates us from animals.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Iamaphinespelrr
It's a question of character, some have it, some don't. Anybody that stood by and did nothing is lacking what separates us from animals.
I believe you mean "Wild" animals, because we are animals regardless, unless you`re a plant or mineral.
The other aspect of this story was that this was a stabbing victim, attacked in the store by someone she either knew, or had a confrontation with. That`s all we know about this situation, maybe the other shoppers observed the women before the stabbing, and actually wanted to avoid her and the assaulants, fearing for their own safety. As noted in the previous post, it`s hard to know who starts the ball to roll, and you can very easily join the wrong side.
I think the person with the cellphone just became the scapegoat and focus of the story...
Old 07-10-2007, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
I believe you mean "Wild" animals, because we are animals regardless, unless you`re a plant or mineral.
The other aspect of this story was that this was a stabbing victim, attacked in the store by someone she either knew, or had a confrontation with. That`s all we know about this situation, maybe the other shoppers observed the women before the stabbing, and actually wanted to avoid her and the assaulants, fearing for their own safety. As noted in the previous post, it`s hard to know who starts the ball to roll, and you can very easily join the wrong side.
I think the person with the cellphone just became the scapegoat and focus of the story...
Bottom line is, someone should have stepped up and helped this person, rather than ignored them. I know I would not want to be that person laying dying on the floor, and have others ignore, step over and take pics of me. We are a very giving society, look at any natural disaster and you see neighbor helping neighbor. It is disturbing to me when things like this happen.

Quick Reply: Shoppers ignore dying victim!!!