The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Side Impact Airbags, Why an option???
Side airbags should be standard
68.52%
Side airbags should be optional only
13.89%
The price should be included (if standard)
14.81%
Cars cost to much now, I`ll take my chances
11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Side impact bags, Why an option???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Banned

I'm sure the standard ABS on the 2LT helps to drive the price up. I know I paid for them even though I didn't order them. ABS is another option I would have ordered only for the insurance discount had I ordered my HHR and if they not been standard on an automatic 2LT.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:45 PM

ABS is also standard on the 2LT with the 5 sd. To get the OnStar I also had to order the side airbags. Now with OnStar standard on Saturns do they come standard with the side airbags?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Pot, Kettle, Black

My point about childish
Old 05-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Banned

My thoughts are that people need to make informed choices about where they spend their money. Not just throwing money at the first car they see, or falling in love with the looks of THAT car, but really consider the money-losing investment they're about to make.

When I bought my HHR, I knew exactly what I was getting. It was October of '05 and there weren't too many around, so I could settle for not having running boards, ABS, or side curtain airbags. Would I do that now? Probably not. For me it was that I simply knew I'd have to sacrifice a few things I didn't really care about to get the car I wanted now.

Of course, my insurance is higher without ABS or the side airbags, and I have a little clouding of paint on my lower door that's about the size of a quarter. But I still have an '06 DBM 2.4A 1LT! And I love every minute I spend driving it.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 AM

No input !!!

Originally Posted by dbarberaz
My point about childish
Obviously you just want to make asinine comments, no input. The first post you made was unnecessary, you didn`t even make a vote. You had no real opinions in any of the discussions of the day, and you continue to lurk possibly to start a problem with me.
I except PM`s, we can air this out there.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
My thoughts are that people need to make informed choices about where they spend their money. Not just throwing money at the first car they see, or falling in love with the looks of THAT car, but really consider the money-losing investment they're about to make.

When I bought my HHR, I knew exactly what I was getting. It was October of '05 and there weren't too many around, so I could settle for not having running boards, ABS, or side curtain airbags. Would I do that now? Probably not. For me it was that I simply knew I'd have to sacrifice a few things I didn't really care about to get the car I wanted now.

Of course, my insurance is higher without ABS or the side airbags, and I have a little clouding of paint on my lower door that's about the size of a quarter. But I still have an '06 DBM 2.4A 1LT! And I love every minute I spend driving it.
Yeah, Mrs. B/B asked me to take her to see a HHR, I did, I already had a car, she wanted it, so there.
My main function is to keep it nice and shiney.
When I really started looking at things like airbags and abs, the ride was in the garage. They were on the car with the 2.4L, but she didn`t care about hp. "It`s for Cruisin`, not racin`"
Old 05-07-2007, 06:54 AM

When I bought my 2006 1LT, to get the side airbags ($400), you had to also order the ABS ($400). I ordered both on mine. This means that (at least in 2006) side air bags really cost $800 extra on the LS and 1LT models.

One of the ironic things that researchers have found is that the more safety items that people have on their cars, the more chances they take. People with ABS believe they will be able to stop much faster, so they follow closer. Now they are claiming that stability control on all vehicles will save 10K lives per year. The real number will probably be much lower, as people will push their cars harder, believing that the computer will save them from losing control. Look at the numbers that safety experts claim on lives saved for each of the major safety developments compared to the actual numbers once the devices became commonplace.

Steve
Old 05-07-2007, 07:46 AM

I agree that the side airbags should be standard and not an option...or the dealers should order all their cars with them. That way, the people who buy off the lot would get them as well. Just explain to the buyer that they are concerned about customer safety and I'm sure they wouldn't get much resistance when dealing ib a car.

As some of you did...I bought my car off the lot and did not order it from the factory. I didn't want to wait for one to come in, plus I would have probably ordered more stuff that I didn't really need because I could. Had mine come with the side air bags, I would have gladly paid for them when I purchased the car.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:27 PM

To me, and my opinion only, side air bags are not a proven feature. If they were, they would be standard like front air bags (remember when only the driver had one?). It was not an option I even considered. Ever walk through the lots at body shops and notice how many hard hit cars the air bags didn't even deploy. And the ones that barely creased the bumper they did.

I've owned more cars without ABS than with, nice feature, but not necessary IMO. I drove for 12 years in the rockies, slid off the road once in my non ABS Mustang.

Sometimes a better drivers training is better than relying on sensors and relays.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Solman.....

I guess your thinking in the same direction I am.

I may be mistaken..... isn't the HHR's 5 star crash rating based on a vehicle with ONLY the standard front bags?? Anyone know what the rating is with and without the side curtain bags and their expected performance???

Maybe the bags are just "a nice to have".......kind of like the assist steps

Quick Reply: Side impact bags, Why an option???