The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Side Impact Airbags, Why an option???
Side airbags should be standard
68.52%
Side airbags should be optional only
13.89%
The price should be included (if standard)
14.81%
Cars cost to much now, I`ll take my chances
11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Side impact bags, Why an option???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM

The five-star rating doesn't consider the side airbags. Side star ratings are based on estimated chest injuries and the HHR only has curtain airbags that protect the head.

More info:
http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3679.html

I wonder if side air bags could be problem in some situations. Have you noticed that there aren't rear thoracic airbags? I would think that they could be a problem with child seats.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:15 AM

Smile Side curtain airbags

Well side curtain airbags are a good idea.

But I wonder what is the cost to the manufacturer?

If we insist on more and more items being "standard" we will just push up the base price.

In retrospect, on balace part of my choice of the HHR was 5 Star crash award plus the 4 Star for NOT tipping over!

What are the statistics on side curtain airbags?

What automobile magazines have published articles in the last year please?

I love my HHR it is SO useful.

I was forced to sleep in it the other night due to a party at the house. With the windows slightly cracked and with a nice futon, a good pillow, and a blanket it was perfect and I am 6 foot tall.

Best Wishes to all fellow HHR folks

astonmartin7

Last edited by astonmartin7; 06-18-2007 at 09:18 AM. Reason: One spelling error
Old 06-18-2007, 09:59 AM

I went for the 2LT as it HAD the airbags standard and I think they will be useful if we ever get into a horrible impact situation.
Also, we wanted a loaded one because, well, just because
I would have said "Because our other car is a Buick", but we traded it two weeks back for a Honda Minivan. But that's another thread..........

I've had ABS on a couple of previous autos and am still not sold on it. The car simply keeps moving which is not how I learned to panic stop. I make my car go sideways and sacrifice the tires if I have to. ABS makes that kind of difficult and keeps me going forward. I am still trying to adjust to ABS after ten years with it.
I remember the insurance discount was large when ABS first came out. Then as statistics came in which showed that ABS allowed cars to collide with each other since it never really stopped the car, the discounts vaporised. After all, cars were still colliding and insurance companies had to pay for sheet metal.

Still, I guess it slowed the cars down better than an average driver could have so perhaps bodily injury went down. Still, I do not believe there is any discount with my last two insurance companies for ABS like there once was.

That said, my neighbor has a Civic with just the usual frontal airbags. She was sitting at a stoplight when she was rear ended then pushed into another car in front of her. No airbags went off, and she went to the hospital on a stretcher.

So I guess airbags and their sensors are simply window dressing that we pay for at times and they will not always perform.
To all who feel they can push their car more than ever because they depend on these and other safety features to save them, I would say, " You're living on borrowed time, Slow down."

But both our daily driver's have ABS and all the airbags that are made for each auto ( HHR and Odyssey ). If all the airbags deploy the cost of just replacing them and some body damage would likely total any newer auto with a few miles on it.
THAT is my biggest complaint with airbags, the cost of replacing them often makes a high mileage car get totaled and taken away from you by the insurance company. A lot of decent cars go to the scrapyards early these days.
No free rides these days on our most depreciating of all commodities, our daily drivers.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:25 PM

MY 06 2LT did not have the side airbags as standard. They were an option and had to on the HHR to get OnStar.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 PM

I used to be sales for Hyundai, while on a test drive with a customer, he pulled out infront of a Buick Rendezvous going about 50 miles per hour. The side impact airbag, helped me from becoming unconsious (spelling?) and blacking out. My head bounced off it (the side impact airbag).

Last edited by SindyDix; 09-02-2008 at 06:12 AM. Reason: reduced picture size
Old 10-03-2007, 08:08 AM

Having not been in any accidents in my driving career (lucky me) I worry the effectiveness of any air bag system as the car ages. Are air bags still working after 10 years?

I grew up riding in cars without padded dashes, no seatbelts, no airbags, no collapseable steering wheels.

Do you want a car with crash resistant built in roll cages? If speed kills, maybe cars should have governors on them so that you cannot drive over 70 mph. How much safety do you need mandated, rather than using defensive driving techniques?
Old 09-01-2008, 11:37 PM

if you want to save lives... raise gas prices another 2 dollars a gallon... fatalities for June and July were the lowest since the sixties. they say... but not sure... it s because the kids and old foogies can t aford to go anywhere.