The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

So this is the Volt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 PM

Why do you have a GM vehicle?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 PM

No hard facts, but from I read the batteries hold 16 KWH of charge. It is designed to drive 40 miles before the gasoline generator kicks on to recharge the battery. The generator kicks on when the battery reaches 50% capacity. So, you get 40 miles on 8 KWH of charge.

My last electric bill charged me .15425 per KWH (with all fees included). That gives a cost of $1.23 to drive 40 miles. That's roughly a third the cost of a gas engine at 35-40mpg, or a little over 100 mpg equivalent (from plug-in power source only). Using the gas generator could bring it down around 50 mpg?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 PM

Well, glad the dealer would not take my $5000 deposit, this is not at all what I hoped for. I was ready to buy a Volt to encourage GM, but I wanted something semi-radical, not bland. I hope I am the exception and the marketing folks did their homework. Totally different vehicle of course, but when the SSR did not sell well, I think GM just did not understand that was mainly because it was too heavy and had way too much chassis flex (and first year was underpowered) for the target audience even though it was a great looking vehicle. My point being I hope they have their target market figured out. Still trying to figure out if I can adapt a HHR body to my '97 Electric S10 running gear (HHR is shorter and wider), since that will have to satisfy my electric inclinations now.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 PM

I see good investment potential on locking electrical outlet covers and extra long extension cords.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I guarantee you Chevrolet will f_ck up the execution of the production version. I remain surprised that they were able to pull off the HHR as well as they did-- oh wait, they hired the guy who designed the PT Cruiser, since no one in-house @ Chevrolet possessed the creative ability.
Almost everybody worked for someone else before they worked where they are now. Just because he worked for Chrysler and then went to GM doesn't make Chrysler a better company or GM for that matter. There are many quality vehicles on the road from GM. I don't believe he created the new Camaro which is one hot vehicle IMO.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by c2vette
Totally different vehicle of course, but when the SSR did not sell well, I think GM just did not understand that was mainly because it was too heavy and had way too much chassis flex (and first year was underpowered) for the target audience even though it was a great looking vehicle.
There just aren't that many people needing a two seater. That's what it boils down to.

My point being I hope they have their target market figured out. Still trying to figure out if I can adapt a HHR body to my '97 Electric S10 running gear (HHR is shorter and wider), since that will have to satisfy my electric inclinations now.

They are targeting the same people buying those ugly Prius'. The Volt will have to make it before more stylish vehicles will appear. It's up to the people who care nothing about stying but want economy and efficiency to make that happen.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by oneton
Why do you have a GM vehicle?
Your question is is perfectly normal, but know that I can currently own a company's product and can have owned numerous of their products in the past (I have) and still be critical of the direction I see the company moving in. I am not going to be a cheerleader for GM just because I have owned their cars and currently have one as well, when it is apaprent by some of their recent moves that there are some d!p*****s involved with the company at the higher levels. I am not taking any shots at the production people, plant management, etc. I think they drive the GM bottom line better than the suits in the tall glass tower in Detriot do.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 PM
ecl

This is the only pictures of the Volt ive seen. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...7DMUS%26sa%3DN
Old 09-10-2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Almost everybody worked for someone else before they worked where they are now. Just because he worked for Chrysler and then went to GM doesn't make Chrysler a better company or GM for that matter. There are many quality vehicles on the road from GM. I don't believe he created the new Camaro which is one hot vehicle IMO.
But that's a case in point as well- Here GM is playing Follow-the-Leader to Ford's Mustang once more. Its 1967 all over again. GM cancelled the F-bodies and a few yrs later Ford releases the redesigned retro styled Mustang, so GM has to play catch-up just like 1967 and roll out the Camaro... again. You would think they would have learned the first time around.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:09 PM

Well, glad the dealer would not take my $5000 deposit, this is not at all what I hoped for. I was ready to buy a Volt to encourage GM, but I wanted something semi-radical, not bland. I hope I am the exception and the marketing folks did their homework. Totally different vehicle of course, but when the SSR did not sell well, I think GM just did not understand that was mainly because it was too heavy and had way too much chassis flex (and first year was underpowered) for the target audience even though it was a great looking vehicle. My point being I hope they have their target market figured out. Still trying to figure out if I can adapt a HHR body to my '97 Electric S10 running gear (HHR is shorter and wider), since that will have to satisfy my electric inclinations now.
Yeah they really really REALLY Uck fuped the SSR. I was looking at buying one just because the resale was so low in 05/06 on the early models. I saw one a few days ago an they are pretty good looking. But seriously, why so heavy, no 4wd or great towing to justify it as a cool work truck, the small bed and a wide but short driver compartment, very poor mileage, slow even when supercharged, too high of a stance, and I can go on. I know it was a niche vehicle, but probably one that didnt pay off for GM or the consumer.

Last edited by Clevelandhhrss; 09-10-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: So this is the Volt?