The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

So this is the Volt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
Totally different vehicle of course, but when the SSR did not sell well, I think GM just did not understand that was mainly because it was too heavy and had way too much chassis flex (and first year was underpowered) for the target audience even though it was a great looking vehicle.

[QUOTE=ChevyMgr;310681]There just aren't that many people needing a two seater. That's what it boils down to.

Interesting you would say that, because it is exactly what our local Chevy dealer said. The reason I believe that is not the whole story is that 2 friends and I were all ready to buy the SSR and pretty excited about it. One test drive and we were very dissapointed in the lack of horsepower (first year) and relatively poor handling (due to weight and chassis flex). I really truly doubt that all 3 of us were huge exceptions to the average potential buyer.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 PM

I've got to be honest, I like the lines on this car. Love the Malibu as well. Think it is critical that GM and Ford get serious about being green and obtaining better mileage and quick! Remember how Toyota, Nissan, etc. went small and GM just kept plugging away with Hummers, BigBoats, etc. and got caught flat-footed. I know mileage is a really important issue to most of us on the board, as I've seen and participated on mileage threads.

Believe me, I am really disgusted with GM right now - an Aurora that has computer probems and a pretty nice HHR that can't stop without the shakes, and no recalls. - but I'll be thrilled to see them help change our dependence on oil and move us in another direction.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by c2vette
Interesting you would say that, because it is exactly what our local Chevy dealer said. The reason I believe that is not the whole story is that 2 friends and I were all ready to buy the SSR and pretty excited about it. One test drive and we were very dissapointed in the lack of horsepower (first year) and relatively poor handling (due to weight and chassis flex). I really truly doubt that all 3 of us were huge exceptions to the average potential buyer.
100% agreement on all the deficiencies on the SSR, looked cool but no engineering. But it was never going to compete with the corvette in it's ability to appeal to a specific group of people. Each manufacturer really only needs one two seater model.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
100% agreement on all the deficiencies on the SSR, looked cool but no engineering. But it was never going to compete with the corvette in it's ability to appeal to a specific group of people. Each manufacturer really only needs one two seater model.
An acquaintance of mine (local attorney) had a sweet 2004 Corvette convertible, MN6 (6-speed manual), yellow. He traded it on a yellow SSR. Before the Vette he had a Porsche Boxster S. He still says he likes the SSR better than the Boxster and the Vette. Has me scratching my head.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 PM

The first company that makes a hybrid that looks bad ass will win...
Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 PM

Not to hijack a thread but I hope GM makes the Ultra. I thought I read somewhere that it was going to be electric. Now that would be a bad ass hybrid!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 PM

I like it, I actually like it more then the Concept. I get tired of looking at the Crappy Fake concepts.

This car will sell well if priced right.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I guarantee you Chevrolet will f_ck up the execution of the production version. I remain surprised that they were able to pull off the HHR as well as they did-- oh wait, they hired the guy who designed the PT Cruiser, since no one in-house @ Chevrolet possessed the creative ability.
That's a real great attitude. Way to be. Brian Nesbitt wasn't hired to design the HHR, he was hired to redesign everything. I guess Ford didn't have enough creative talent in their design studios when they brought in Larry Shinoda to design the original Boss 302, either.

Your question is is perfectly normal, but know that I can currently own a company's product and can have owned numerous of their products in the past (I have) and still be critical of the direction I see the company moving in. I am not going to be a cheerleader for GM just because I have owned their cars and currently have one as well, when it is apaprent by some of their recent moves that there are some d!p*****s involved with the company at the higher levels. I am not taking any shots at the production people, plant management, etc. I think they drive the GM bottom line better than the suits in the tall glass tower in Detriot do.
Eight years of moving forward and completely revamping the product lineup from top to bottom is bad direction? Cutting costs and saving the company from bankruptcy is bad direction? Tell that crap to someone who actually worked for the company when the soap salesman was in charge and they'll tell you where you can shove it.

But that's a case in point as well- Here GM is playing Follow-the-Leader to Ford's Mustang once more. Its 1967 all over again. GM cancelled the F-bodies and a few yrs later Ford releases the redesigned retro styled Mustang, so GM has to play catch-up just like 1967 and roll out the Camaro... again. You would think they would have learned the first time around.
F-body was dead. Nobody was buying them and a redesign was not cost effective. Even Ford waited to redesign the Mustang until they had a modern, cross-platform design that could be executed in a cost-effective manner. Lincoln LS, Thunderbird, Mustang--all same basic architecture. GM did the same thing with the new Camaro and G8. With all the buzz surrounding the Camaro, it's going to be a hit no matter what. GM already knows that there are Mustang people and Camaro people. Ford figured that out in '94 when they introduced the "new" Mustang that had a powertrain that wasn't even comparable with the f-bodies. Not much crossover actually happens and they aren't really building the cars to compete with each other anymore.

I gotta say, LR, why don't you just go buy your Audi A3 and complain about it on the Audi forums? You hate your HHR, you hate GM, and it just seems like a lot of wasted typing to be so miserable.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by oneton
Why do you have a GM vehicle?
I'll answer this.........it's because I think the HHR panel is one of the coolest cars built since the 70's. It has nothing to do with brand loyalty or GM's reliabilty. My first car was a 72 Chevelle SS, then a long line of other GM muscle cars, I also bought brand new GM's in '80, '85, '86, and '88. All were pieces of crap! Finally I bought a foreign car and have bought 5 brand new ones since, never have I been dissapointed. Never have they prematurely rusted out, became rattle traps or had major mechanical problems. I love my panel, more today than when I bought it a year ago but it's still just a glorified Cobalt.........which is nothing more than an updated Vega! You folks that have been brand loyal.......you don't know what you're missing!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigMOCats
I love my panel, more today than when I bought it a year ago but it's still just a glorified Cobalt.........which is nothing more than an updated Vega! You folks that have been brand loyal.......you don't know what you're missing!
What does a modern, FWD, European-engineered platform have anything to do with the RWD H-body? The only thing the Cobalt and Vega share is that they were built at the same assembly plant.

I know what I'm missing with the imports. Cheaper plastics, poor seating, and a rough ride. The press likes to call those things "good fit and finish, ergonomic seating, and a firm, European driving experience". No thanks. My first car was a Japanese car and my second was a Corsica. Never had to put a dime in the Corsica other than a set of front brake pads and two tires.

Quick Reply: So this is the Volt?