The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Spelling and grammar

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Banned

Spelling and grammar

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the members of this site seem to actually be able to spell, use proper grammar and generally seem to have paid attention in school? Spell checkers can't help those that don't know which their, or there they're using. Two to too also seems to throw the next generation for a loop. It is certainly refreshing to mingle among others that paid attention in school. - No disrespect intended to younger members, but reading posts on some sites make one feel like learning the English language wasn't even on the curriculum. I'm sure I'm showing my age by mentioning this (WTH), but this site seems to stand above the rest in this regard. SALUTE!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Deceased

Demographically, our forum draws its largest pool from the "Baby Boomers" and the following "Generation X", where the emphasis was placed on education and it shows.

I monitor dozens of automotive forums where the majority of posts and threads are conducted in "Text Speak or Textese", which is sadly becoming the new language of choice for anyone born after the early 90's.

We do have some new members who use comically deficient punctuation, sentence structure, and spelling. Reading their posts is often difficult to the point of exasperation. Nothing like wading through a 65 word run on sentence sprinkled with misspellings, just trying to determine what they're trying to say in the first place.

Now if we could just educate the younger generations on the differences between "Breaks" and "Brakes".

Everytime I see a post where someone incorrectly refers to the hardware used to stop their HHR as "Breaks", I develop a headache right behind the eyes.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Good points Sundance. Overall, things are good - and most errors lately are just typoes.

My pet peeve are the posts with a giant rambling single paragraph that goes on and on and on, covering numerous issues, with bad punctuation etc.. Those, I typically give a pass to. If they cannot take the time to put it together so that others can actually read it without struggling, why should I take the time to decipher it. Those sort of posts seem to typically turn into a giant game of 20 Questions which get very time consuming.

You made some good points guys.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:43 AM

I'm sorry I know at times my spelling is horrid but I blame my phones tiny keyboard and its habit of auto spell correcting to the wrong word. :)

I agree with Mike though I think most children born after 1990 really don't get the strong literacy and grammatical based education we all did.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Sunflowerhippi - totally understandable points - I have the same problem when using a tablet. Especially when on the rather flakey wifi I have to use on occasion.

Oh, slightly off topic and definitely not pointed towards SFH: - dare I mention anything about the SEARCH TOOL?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:00 PM

Oh I so know how to use the search tool. Ive used it since I came back to favorite some threads (rpo codes and production numbers).

This forums is better then some I'm on for using it.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

SFH - it sure is a whole lot better than the old one eh? We are trying to get people to use it more, and I think it's working. It does get tiresome when a simple search can get the info quick - and then the person gets irked cause you don't spend the time to wade thru the searches and post the appropriate link for them.

Bookmarking/favoriting some of them - great idea, but I have way too many bookmarks already - so I guess I will just have to rely on my awesome memory (NOT!!!!).
Old 02-21-2014, 04:08 PM

More importantly, I think it shows that people who own an HHR or two are just plain smarter!
Old 02-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Lawagz
More importantly, I think it shows that people who own an HHR or two are just plain smarter!
Exactly, when you compare our forum to those dedicated to other makes and models, you'll see that as a whole we have a very intelligent membership. And as the fleet ages, our site is becoming even more technical and geared towards keeping our beloved trucklets on the road.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM

Yeah, it's a real pain scrolling through all of the repeated subjects. Like, what brand of oil should I use? My HHR is making a noise all of the time the engine is running, seems to be louder upon acceleration. My HHR makes a grinding noise pnly when moving, slow or fast.

Maybe, if people used the SEARCH before they posted there would be fewer extraneous repeated over and over threads on the same subject to scroll through.

OOPS, circular logic rears it's comely head again. Blame 843de for mentioning it.

Quick Reply: Spelling and grammar