The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Starter motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 05:50 PM

Starter motorcycle

I was playing around on craigslist and found a couple pretty good deals on used bikes. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations/etc. I've never ridden a motorcycle before and I'll be taking a Texas DPS Safety Course before I drive it in anything but a parking lot.

So far I've found a couple Kawasaki Ninja 250's and 500's that are between $1500-2800 asking price and 2003-2007 model year. Trying to stay below $1800 for a 250 and $2500 for a 500. Just want to pay cash for a new toy, no financing, and definitely no brand new bikes because that's just really not necessary. Any other models I should be looking into? Trying to keep it tame for the first bike so I don't get something I can't handle.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:50 PM

Stay at least 500 or above..you won't regret it later....you have to ask yourself just what are you trying to accomplish, do you want to cruz or do you wanna play T Cruise on the front wheel? If cruzin stay away from the crotch rockets..they get wicked fast and yu WILL be tempted to find out! Just learning? Find an older one , Yamaha Virago... Honda Shadow.... Sabers.... kawasaki had a few road bikes. Easy to learn and handle AND they won't attract attention from the blue lights! Used CRockets tend to be abused and most likely dropped from trying to play stuntman in front of thier buddies. Who knows
what damage is hiddn that will affect the handling.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:00 PM

You are right on target with the Ninja 500 twin. That is a very easy bike to ride. If you have NEVER ridden before, why not get a small 4 stroke dirtbike (recommend a Honda XR200) and learn all the basics offroad and away from 4000 lb+ cages. Especially given the crazy traffic in Austin.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Starter M/C

I have an 07 Honda CBR600RR and it is a sweet handling M/C, but I would not recomend it for a first M/C. It makes peak HP at 13500rpm and if you shift at 13500 when you come out of 2nd gear it is running right at 95 mph. It will stand up in the road like a wild pony and make the telephone poles look like a picket fence. If you are not used to M/Cs like this you can get in trouble or dead real quick. I would say a 500 ninja would be a good first. It should top out a little over triple digits. I have been on mine at a buck 55 and it still had more but I was running out of road. Mine also gets about the same mileage as my HHR. My brothers Honda Civic gets better gas mileage than my bike. It has 8 injectors and if you hammer it they really dump fuel. I lost my best friend because he bought a M/C like this for his first bike.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 PM

It's looking like I'm going for a 2005 Ninja 500. Standing offer is $2300, no damage reported. It's a Craigslist sale so of course I'm a little wary, but I'm having my friend who has been riding already come with to check it out. I'm getting it below KBB and I figure if I hate it I can sell it at a slim loss. Chances are I'm going to like it though and this will probably be the start of a loooong road of upgrading haha. Decided to stay away from the 250 because I know that I'll want to move up pretty quickly once I'm comfortable. Probably won't be ready for a 650 or higher anytime soon, but after a few years who knows.

The issue of top speed is kindof a moot point, because unless I'm driving through the middle of nowhere, I'm usually afraid to break 100 mph in my car for fear of stupid expensive tickets (been there, no fun). As it is now I'm pretty nervous about being on a bike, but I feel like that'll go away with experience. Definitely don't see myself hotdogging it or doing anything too crazy.

C2V - I don't know if a dirtbike would be ideal, I don't have anywhere to really use it around here and I think between the MSF course and some parking lot or city park roads practice, I should be able to pick up the basics pretty well. Austin traffic is kind of rough but I wouldn't mind getting out into the hill country and doing a bit of cruising to get used to the feel of it once I have the basics down.

0HHR9 - My friend bought a bright yellow CBR600RR cop magnet for his first bike. His course instructor was shocked that he went for that first. So far he and the bike have gotten along pretty well. I'm not quite that ambitious though haha. From what I've read the 500 gets upwards of 50 mpg which is nice since I intend to drive it to work where I've been averaging about 20mpg in traffic with the SS, so I'll save some bucks on gas, and I won't have to park it at a meter so I'll save ~$8/day on that too. Insurance is only looking to run $350/year, which is reasonable enough.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:23 PM

I'll chime in on this. The Ninja is a perfect starter bike, and when you feel as if you've outgrown it in a couple of years, you will probably be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it. Just remember when riding, if you don't respect the bike, or those damn cagers, you'll end up sliding on asphalt, And please, all the gear, all the time.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 PM

Being a rider myself and an MSF instructor, all I can say is start small! The Ninja 250s/500s are great starter bikes. Don't listen to others about the 250 being "too small" or "you'll get bored with it". Learn the basics on a bike that is VERY forgiving. Plus, if you buy a used one, you can pretty much sell it for what you pay for it at the end of a season or 2. Another forgiving bike is the Suzuki SV650. If you get the naked version, there's no plastic to worry about if it tips over or you drop it.

A BIG +1 on the gear and respecting the bike. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and are not letting your ego get in the way! Start small, learn the right way, master the basics, and pass all the Liter Bikes in the corners on a little 250. :-)

Enjoy the ride!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 AM

Deuces said it best. You will learn more about riding from a smaller bike. Remember anyone can whack open the throttle and go really fast. Not many people can carry speed through the twisties and really understand the dynamics of the bike. You don't need big horsepower for that. For some reason it's more fun to hang with the liter bikes through the mountains on my little RZ350 than it is on my 1130 Benelli.
Either 250/500 Ninja are good calls-a dual sport is great too. I have one as well and it is so easy to ride, very forgiving, and handles very respectably. Some of my decisions are based on what the riding is like by me.
Ride as if everyone is trying to kill you, explore the bike slowly as you get more comfortable, and always safety gear. Years ago an old biker said to me there's only 2 types of riders, those who have crashed and those who are going to crash. That's always in the back of my mind.
Enjoy-there's not much better than being out in the breeze.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:50 AM

Well I went and bought all the gear yesterday...jacket helmet gloves etc...and pick up the bike Saturday morning, then the MSF class Monday-Wednesday. Good times!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 PM

congrats! Lets see some pics soon. Enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Starter motorcycle