The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Starter motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:26 PM

250cc is fine!

Originally Posted by Deuces
Being a rider myself and an MSF instructor, all I can say is start small! The Ninja 250s/500s are great starter bikes. Don't listen to others about the 250 being "too small" or "you'll get bored with it". Learn the basics on a bike that is VERY forgiving. Plus, if you buy a used one, you can pretty much sell it for what you pay for it at the end of a season or 2. Another forgiving bike is the Suzuki SV650. If you get the naked version, there's no plastic to worry about if it tips over or you drop it.

A BIG +1 on the gear and respecting the bike. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and are not letting your ego get in the way! Start small, learn the right way, master the basics, and pass all the Liter Bikes in the corners on a little 250. :-)

Enjoy the ride!
<---- what he said makes good sense!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by patrick49
Well I went and bought all the gear yesterday...jacket helmet gloves etc...and pick up the bike Saturday morning, then the MSF class Monday-Wednesday. Good times!
Great.! Please keep us posted. I have many family members that now ride, and they all did it right (MSF, good starter bike, and don't ride over your head or be pressured by peers to ride beyond your comfort zone). One of my nieces and her husband ride many thousands of miles per year, and have fantastic vacation trips on their bikes, as well as occasional track days. If you do it right and safe you will have many riding years ahead of you. I just sold my BMW M/C in a fit of being fed up with incompetent (text messaging) cage drivers out there, but already miss not having a bike. Cheers!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM

Well it's been raining pretty much since I've had the bike, so for now I'm just waiting. Took the MSF class, about 75% in the rain, but those bikes were beat down old Eliminator 125cc's, and I'd rather get started on mine on dry pavement, so I get to wait.

Haven't really been able to snap any pictures either, and I suck at camera work as it is, but here's a shot:

Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 PM

Well it's been raining pretty much since I've had the bike, so for now I'm just waiting. Took the MSF class, about 75% in the rain, but those bikes were beat down old Eliminator 125cc's, and I'd rather get started on mine on dry pavement, so I get to wait.

Haven't really been able to snap any pictures either, and I suck at camera work as it is, but here's a shot:

Welcome to the brotherhood!! Enjoy the ride. Good call on waiting to ride in the rain, but don't fear it either.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 PM

My first bike was a 1992 Honda CBR 600. I bought it for $1500. Great bike, power and looks. It had 1996 plastic on it.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:49 PM

I was playing around on craigslist and found a couple pretty good deals on used bikes. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations/etc. I've never ridden a motorcycle before and I'll be taking a Texas DPS Safety Course before I drive it in anything but a parking lot.

So far I've found a couple Kawasaki Ninja 250's and 500's that are between $1500-2800 asking price and 2003-2007 model year. Trying to stay below $1800 for a 250 and $2500 for a 500. Just want to pay cash for a new toy, no financing, and definitely no brand new bikes because that's just really not necessary. Any other models I should be looking into? Trying to keep it tame for the first bike so I don't get something I can't handle.
When I seen MOTORCYCLES on the HHR Forum I jumped right onto this one. Don't know what type of motorcycle you are thinking about but have a look at the Honda 250 Rebel or Nighthawk. They've been around for nearly 30 years, are easy to ride and learn on, in fact you may be on one in the Texas DPS Safety course. Good luck on your riding adventure, I've been riding all my life and there is nothing like it. Even the HHR feels slighted at times. The 250 Rebel is a cruiser style and the Nighthawk having the same drive train is a standard motorcycle with a slightly different riding position. I assume these bikes are in the US. We have the Rebel here in Canada but not the Nighthawk.

John
Old 10-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Deuces
Being a rider myself and an MSF instructor, all I can say is start small! The Ninja 250s/500s are great starter bikes. Don't listen to others about the 250 being "too small" or "you'll get bored with it". Learn the basics on a bike that is VERY forgiving. Plus, if you buy a used one, you can pretty much sell it for what you pay for it at the end of a season or 2. Another forgiving bike is the Suzuki SV650. If you get the naked version, there's no plastic to worry about if it tips over or you drop it.

A BIG +1 on the gear and respecting the bike. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and are not letting your ego get in the way! Start small, learn the right way, master the basics, and pass all the Liter Bikes in the corners on a little 250. :-)

Enjoy the ride!
Hope Patrick49 from Austin Texas listens to your advice. I agree with your comments about the 250 being too small. I have a Honda VFR 800 which is a great motorcycle but my all time favourites are my 250 Rebel and my 650 Suzuki S40 single. The VFR is super smooth and fast but with the smaller bores of the 250 and 650.....you know you've had a ride.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:09 PM

good luck

my advice is to ALLWAYS KEEP YOUR EYES WIDE OPEN , and to practice swerving , so when some idiot pulls out in front of you , you might be ready..it is only by the grace of God and my ability to swerv hard that i am able to type this advice today....I'd rather drop a bike praticing to swerv than to try to do it with a split second warning and some idiot heading straght for me.....just braking won't get it , sometimes you may have to really lean or even to the point of dropping the bike , but that is the last resort.....And no drinking
Old 10-12-2009, 02:23 PM

started on a 50cc aprilia scooter, went to a ninja 250, decided 250 was plenty of power/speed for me and gets good mileage, so went to a 250 aprilia.

Seth