The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Starved Rock Illinois.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:39 PM

Starved Rock Illinois.

This place is about thirty minutes from my home. So I decided to go hiking today. I mean why not, it was a nice day out… If not a bit breezy...

History:

Starved Rock State Park is an Illinois state park located in Utica, Illinois, in rural LaSalle County, Illinois, about 75 miles west-southwest of downtown Chicago. The park is 2,630 acres in size and includes 13 miles of hiking trails, numerous waterfalls (ice falls in winter) and other landforms. The park contains 18 sandstone canyons carved over the last 12,000 years by a combination of surface water runoff and groundwater outflow. Starved Rock itself is a large eroded butte overlooking the Illinois River. French explorers built a fort called Fort St. Louis atop the rock in 1682 but had abandoned it by the early 1700s.

The rock derives its name from a story that a band of Illiniwek was trapped in the 1760s on the rock by a band of Potawatomi trying to avenge the death of the Ottawa Chief Pontiac. The Illiniwek then scrambled to the top of the rock, where the Ottawa and allied Potawatomi laid siege until the Illiniwek starved to death. However, the authenticity of the story has never been verified, and the story is now considered to be more legend than truth.

Recent history:

On March 14, 1960, three women were murdered in St. Louis Canyon. A lodge employee named Chester Weger confessed to robbing and killing the three victims, but later recanted, alleging that his confession had been coerced. He was convicted and is currently serving a life sentence. There has been some movement to try to re-open the case from time to time due to alleged mishandling of evidence. The conviction came largely on the confession, which was taken in the pre-Miranda days. Typically, at least one or two individuals fall off a cliff each year. There were 4 deaths from falls between 1999 and 2006.

Fred.

Last edited by ICUFOS; 10-25-2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: For Color
Old 10-25-2007, 05:44 PM

Beautiful. Reminds me of the Wisconsin Dells.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Beautiful. Reminds me of the Wisconsin Dells.
I'll take your word for it... Never been to the Dells.

Fred.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:59 PM

A picture from the Dells:

Old 10-25-2007, 06:30 PM

really nice pics,pretty area & nice weather,,,can't beat it
Old 10-25-2007, 07:31 PM

Fred
I've been to both and they are Great places but you must have Great Food also. Hiking would make me Hungry real Hungry!

So Fred how far did you Hike.

Z
Old 10-25-2007, 07:34 PM

We had a great G2G last year at Starved Rock and JC Whitney's, and it was a BLAST! In fact it was this exact time last year. I remember it was the same day as game 1 of the World Series, and I spent my entire drive home desperately trying to listen to the game Here is a thread with pics of the day.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mid-central-31/fall-run-2006-pics-56k-warning-5225/

BTW your pics are beautiful. The park is stunning, especially this time of year with the leaves changing.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Z-Man
Fred
Hiking would make me Hungry real Hungry! Pr

So Fred how far did you Hike.

Z
Protein bars & water… I only hiked about 12miles because I ran out of food and water. I'll Be Back!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
We had a great G2G last year at Starved Rock and JC Whitney's, and it was a BLAST! In fact it was this exact time last year. I remember it was the same day as game 1 of the World Series, and I spent my entire drive home desperately trying to listen to the game Here is a thread with pics of the day.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5225

BTW your pics are beautiful. The park is stunning, especially this time of year with the leaves changing.
I looked at the photos and it looked like a awesome time…
Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by n.j.hhr
really nice pics,pretty area & nice weather,,,can't beat it

Thank You.

Quick Reply: Starved Rock Illinois.