The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

States Banning Driver Distractions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
This is exactly what I'm talking about! If you're stupid enough not to pay attention when crossing the street then you deserve to be hit. I should not be punsihed for someone elses stupidity.
Ahmen, and what is this with Government trying to protect us from our own stupidity? I thought we elected them to represent us, not tell us what we can and can not do? But you never know, I could be wrong, NOT.. I think a lot of this would disappear if people would step up to the plate and take responsibility for their own actions vice trying to blame or sue someone else.. Just my 2cents...
Old 02-11-2007, 10:23 PM

People stopped stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility a while back. It`s generally someone elses fault now.
You can go into almost any thread right here on this site and see it flourish...
Old 02-11-2007, 10:49 PM

I think we need to come up with a system where we figure out what sort of TV these people watch,such as Jerry Springer / reality tv / TRL etc, and subliminally send out messages telling them to not reproduce. It might take a generation or so but we might be able to take this country back.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
I think we need to come up with a system where we figure out what sort of TV these people watch,such as Jerry Springer / reality tv / TRL etc, and subliminally send out messages telling them to not reproduce. It might take a generation or so but we might be able to take this country back.
Sounds like a plan. We'll start a comittee.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
Let me ask you this,213. As a police officer how strict are you on a law like this? For example the previously mentioned woman deserved to be pulled over,and beaten, ok that last part is me. Now if your going down the road behind someone who is going down the road who takes a drink of soda but otherwise is driving correctly, should that person be pulled over? There`s the letter of the law and then there`s the intent. Hopefully if a law is passed it will allow for the police to exercise their common sense between the two.
Sorry for the delay...I've been pretty busy lately. I think it would be nearly impossible to make a law forbidding drinking a soda or eating a donut (go ahead with your jokes!!) while driving. What our city codes address is Full Time and Attention. Basically, if you are doing some distractive action that causes you to perform a dangerous action (ie: swerve, leave the traffic lane, etc.), it is a violation. All violations are subject to officer discretion. I have to have a traffic violation to pull someone over. Taking a drink of pop while driving is not a violation......nor should it be. I have my own opinions about cell phones while driving.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:23 PM

If being stupid or being an a**hole were crimes, the prisons would be full.

I personally think there should be some laws on the books. Some people, no matter how intelligent they are, do some really foolish stuff while driving. Reading the newspaper while zipping down the highway is a death wish.....unfortunately, it will probably end up being someone else's death. I don't agree with banning everything, but if it is interfering with your driving to the point you are becoming a danger, knock it off or pay the fine.

Last edited by Firewatcher; 02-22-2007 at 04:29 PM. Reason: I spel as well as '06
Old 02-23-2007, 04:41 AM

Hmmmm A couple of things occur to me while reading this thread...

Most of these actions are already covered by existing laws in one form or another. Example: Guy reading newspaper can be cited for reckless driving, why do we need another law specifying that reading a newspaper while driving is against the law????

Why do these kind of laws (adding more detailed definitions of stuff that is already on the books) come into existence? So that Rep. John Q. Porkbarrel can claim that he got a law passed to make our lives safer/better/insert your own adjective.

Our Public nonServants are in business to be re-elected, if they don't get any laws passed we might realize that they actually aren't doing anything other than fund-raising and feeding at the pork barrel trough.

However, I might be wrong......
Old 02-23-2007, 06:02 AM

No , you`re right.
It`s all about the dollar.
There`s a ban on cell phones (hand held) in Chicago. Yeah right...
Oh, but police and emergency personnel can use them, because....
Old 02-23-2007, 12:00 PM

I think we over-legislate. Would rather keep things small-scale, local, and rely on individual conscience, morals, ethics, rules of thumb, common sense, even common courtesy --- all those old school things. I wish we still taught those things. You can't make enough laws to control idiots or prevent tragedies. Make the laws - I'll still take my eyes off the road long enough to down some Skittles once in a while.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:28 PM

I can say that if some law passes that says I can't use my phone while driving, I will continue to use it and pay any associated fines simply out of spite. Let's face it. Some people can do multiple things and maintain proper lane control. I for one can use the GPS, work the radio, change the siren tones, have an occasional sip of beverage, and swear at the drivers who won't yield, all while maintaining proper lane control.

There are some who simply cant. One woman today was on her phone and decided to shoot out into traffic across 4 lanes without checking to see if anybody (i.e. me) was coming. Thank god i was on "the alert". I saw her, slowed down, slammed my finger down on the air horn button, cursed at her, and kept on about my business.

Unfortunately in Virginia, a damn monkey with half a brain could get a license. I think it should be like in Germany where it coasts ~$1,000 USD to get a license, and if you "cruise and booze" you lose it for life.

Quick Reply: States Banning Driver Distractions