The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: DO you think this is too harsh? IF yes explain.
Yes
30.23%
Nope, no pity for them.
69.77%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Street racing punishment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:07 AM

Street racing punishment.

Does it fit the crime?

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/launch...ch%20Page&News

Personally, I think it is a good idea.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:28 AM

Sounds good, but that guy said that he woul do it again. Some never learn.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 AM

Too harsh. That car is someones personal property. Yes street racing is illegal, but personal property should not be taken and destroyed. There has to be a better way of controlling illegal drags. I would say suspended drivers license or temporary impound would be better than crushing a car someone has obviously put a lot of money and time into. I'm not saying there should be no punishment, there should, it's wrong, and innocent lives are at stake whenever these punks are on the streets, I just don't think destroying personal property is the answer. Too close to "big brother is watching" for my taste. Whats next, you don't cut your grass and your house is destroyed? I don't like it.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:31 AM

Angry

Mother ****ing son of a *****. I would ****ing go off the deep end. I think that is more than a little extreme. I would sue the **** out of them.

I use to street race....back in 2001. I got caught, paid the fines, paid the court costs, paid $400 a month for car insurance. I learned my lesson(s). I have NEVER done it again. Will not do it again, but if the cops crushed my car that I put blood, sweat, money, and tears into I would flip the **** out. Fine them heavily, jail time, and community service. Don't kill the car.

My street racing turned into legal drag racing, auto crossing, and road racing.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
Too harsh. That car is someones personal property. Yes street racing is illegal, but personal property should not be taken and destroyed. There has to be a better way of controlling illegal drags. I would say suspended drivers license or temporary impound would be better than crushing a car someone has obviously put a lot of money and time into. I'm not saying there should be no punishment, there should, it's wrong, and innocent lives are at stake whenever these punks are on the streets, I just don't think destroying personal property is the answer. Too close to "big brother is watching" for my taste. Whats next, you don't cut your grass and your house is destroyed? I don't like it.
You know most states have a law for hunters if you are caught poaching or without a license, they can take you vehicle, you weapon, and all equipment from you and auction it. Granted this is more to a point. But similiar laws have been in effect for years.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:30 AM

This is just another case of BIG GOVERNMENT at it's worst. This is the same reason that organized drag racing came into being, back in the early 50's. That is why the National Hot Rod Association was formed. Now, there is not a community in the country that wants a drag strip nearby. Instead, these "enlightened" community leaders would just as soon see there kids killed in illegal street racing. It's been proven that in communities where legal drag racing is available, the kids will take their racing off the streets and onto the drag strip. Face it, as long as cars have existed, and as long as they do exist, racing them will be a fact of life! And, it's not just a "guy thing" anymore.

Pat
Old 06-21-2007, 10:31 AM

I guess you would have to see the shredded cars on the morning news for a few years to appreciate the need to do whatever it takes to stop it. They don't just kill each other they kill families, freinds and anyone who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. They are racing past schools, up and down the freeways and anywhere they get the itch to show off. I have no problem with nice cars or fast cars, but there has to be a maturity level that understands the big picture. The accident last weekend in Tenn. was a tragedy but we see that out here a few times a week.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting concept.

But it's in Californicate, so some kid's daddy, who is an attorney, will go to court and have that law "struck" as unconstitutional.......
Old 06-21-2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by TkHHR
I guess you would have to see the shredded cars on the morning news for a few years to appreciate the need to do whatever it takes to stop it. They don't just kill each other they kill families, freinds and anyone who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. They are racing past schools, up and down the freeways and anywhere they get the itch to show off. I have no problem with nice cars or fast cars, but there has to be a maturity level that understands the big picture. The accident last weekend in Tenn. was a tragedy but we see that out here a few times a week.
You just made my point. How many drag strips have been closed down in SoCal in the last 20 years? These kids just don't have any place to go to show off in a safe fashion.

The new cars of today have more potential power, on a weight to power basis, than the muscle cars of the 60's. They are faster, quicker, safer and a lot less expensive to "tune" than the cars of the 60's. Today power adders are available for every "economy" car out there, nitrous, turbos and computer hacks. To make matter worse, most young kids have way too much money available for the mods. The one real thing missing from the equation, however, is maturity. Take their car away and destroy it, and all you are doing is fostering a hate for law enforcement and government, and we already have enough of that in our country already.

In the 50's and 60's law enforcement, in conjunction with local optimist clubs, were the ones that helped build and promote safe racing on the drag strips. Maybe concerned citizens should re-visit those times to see how this problem can be resolved. Sometimes history is a great teacher!

Be safe,
Pat
Old 06-21-2007, 01:40 PM

This sounds like a great idea to me. It should be made standard policy in every State as far as I'm concerned. Something needs to be done to put an end to this street racing that puts so many innocent peoples lives at risk!

Quick Reply: Street racing punishment.