The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: DO you think this is too harsh? IF yes explain.
Yes
30.23%
Nope, no pity for them.
69.77%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Street racing punishment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by RaceOn
Fast and Furious; 2 Fast and 2 Furious,
Acutally those movies used the already in place illegial street racing scene as a backdrop. Some of the extras (including the cars) were actual street racers. The actors said they (the extras) were real picky and controlling to what happened around their cars.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
If I had a street racer, and I know if the cops get my ride they`ll destroy it, I`m gonna give him a run for his money, I`ve got nothing to lose.
Look at it this way, with this law (and however it makes it to the crusher) you loose your car, a car that appatently has a lot of stolen parts.

You run, you will loose the car, definatley go to jain, pay fines, or just die during the chase. And I'm sure a lot more legal issues will follow.

So, nothing more to loose?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by solman98
Acutally those movies used the already in place illegial street racing scene as a backdrop. Some of the extras (including the cars) were actual street racers. The actors said they (the extras) were real picky and controlling to what happened around their cars.
Kind of true but before those movies came out it was more underground. After the Fast and Furious movies came out they completely blew the scene up and made it mainstream and common. Now it seems like every 16 year old suburban girl drives a Civic with a 5' tall spoiler, a big vinyl dragon down the side, some type of lame team banner across the front window, ugly body kit complete with carbon fiber hood, rims that are way too big for the car that are powder coated a contrasting color, and the all important 6" diameter exhaust tip on a car with 1.5" diameter tubing.

Last edited by captain howdy; 06-22-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Kind of true but before those movies came out it was more underground. After the Fast and Furious movies came out they completely blew the scene up and made it mainstream and common. Now it seems like every 16 year old suburban girl drives a Civic with a 5' tall spoiler, a big vinyl dragon down the side, some type of lame team banner across the front window, ugly body kit complete with carbon fiber hood, rims that are way too big for the car that are powder coated a contrasting color, and the all important 6" diameter exhaust tip and a car with 1.5" diameter tubing.
Yes, it made it worse in other parts of the country, but it was already in place. The one's I see locally will never be the 10 second cars from the movies. The bigger cites usually start the trend and it trickles out. I was working part time at Advance AUto Parts before those movies came out, the main parts were selling already, after the movies, the stickers, wings, and fart cannons just became more popular, but on stock cars.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by billbeau
Let me say a few things here.

First off I have been street racing since 1972 legal drag racing since 1974. I have street raced off and on from 1972 to 1999. Many years and mucho money won! Of course a few dollars lost

Here in the bay area you have to drive 110 miles to go racing at a drag strip. It is in Sacramento. There used to be the ever famous Fremont Drag Strip right down the street from here. It was closed due to the damn azzhole yuppie mutherfudgers that complained about the noise on Fri and Sat nights. Before the track was closed it was rare to have a street race and when it did happen it might be just two cars with one race and only a few spectators. No big deal. No one ever got hurt. Cops would watch and then leave. Everyone had fun for a few minutes and then took off. No booze, no drugs, no problems!

Now that they have had the track closed the street racing has really picked up! Its not unheartd of to have 50 or more cars and hundreds of spectators. There are shootings, drugs, booze, fights, gangs so on and so fourth. Lets not even go into the side show morons! I think these people should be arrested and serve some time in jail. Not only the drivers but the spectators also. Its mainly the spectators that cause the problems. If it wernt for them these idiots wouldnt be showing off. They should impound the cars for 30 days periode! 1 year susspension of there license and community service. Nothing more nothing less. If its only a couple cars out in the boonies with no drugs,booze, or weapons. Let them go with a warning after they see who won!

When we do have grudge night at the Sacramento Drag Strip there is usually more than 200 cars racing and the stands are full. You could be in a staging lane for more than an hour waiting to make a pass. They have lanes for Camaros, Mustangs, Rice burners, Motorcycles, Super stock, and Pro Stocks. I was lucky that I ran Pro Stock. They let us gop more often as we have no air conditioning or a fan for that matter. It can be well over 100 degrees in my car and have been at 150 in Las Vegas. The crowds want to see the Super Stocks and Pro Stocks run so we get alot of track time. Its Fun and only runs 50 bucks for car and driver. This keeps alot of kids off the street.

Citys need to relize that the car created this. As long as two guys have a car there going to race. Instead of closing the tracks and creating the street problems they need to open up tracks for people to race. The money that they could make is enormous. This also stops most of the street racing.

There is a secret street race held once a year out in the valley. Its on a Saturday day time. We get a 4 lane road. The cops block it off. The Fire dept. as well as an ambulance show up. Everyone is checked for license, med. insurance, and auto insurance. Your car is saftey checked to meet NHRA specs. We spend the day racing. The cops are off duty and we get a small fund together to hand over to the crews plus we give them a free bbq. There is no drugs, booze, fights, Its just fun and the city allows it with there blessing. Of course you sign a release for the city.

I think Texas also does this in one of there cities.

What im getting at is that car buffs need a place to show off there pride and joy. Buy closing off avenues for kids and oldies like me to do what we love to do is just asking for problems.

When the Fremont track was closed down several folks tried to reopen it. The city wouldnt allow it. The said that the endangered fresh water shrimp and some kind of mouse was found there so we couldnt have the strip reopened no matter what. Guess what? Just a few years ago the city allowed a developer build a huge strip mall there. RIGHT WERE THE FREMONT DRAG STRIP WAS!!!! Now aint that some crap. We couldnt have a track but Costco, Home Depot and Lowes could dig up the mice and shrimp.

So you figure it out. They dont want us street racing but wont give somewhere to race. When we have a location they come up with some lame excuse not to allow us to open it.
Follow the MONEY.

How much MONEY did the city receive in tax revenue when there was a legal place to race?

How much MONEY does the city receive in tax Revenue from a Strip Mall.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:12 AM

Well... they started doing that here also, heard on the radio that they just impounded 2 done-up Vettes that were being sent to the crusher today...

There have been almost 30 innocent people killed in the area because of street racing. If crushing a vette or two keeps myself and/or family safe then so be it...

Now... that said, I *am* a huge car guy and race nut. If racing can be done 'safely' then thats a different matter but busy public streets/highways are not cool to race on.

If you can loose your car for picking up a hooker... you should certainly loose your car for dangerous driving.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:21 AM

I'm not saying whether the punishment is justifiable in relationship to the crime, but I do know that as long as there are motorized vehicles, there will be racing, legal and illegal. It doesn't matter what they do, short of putting a government-owned "remote control" on every car made.

I, myself, am guilty of illegally racing (to test out the HHR), but I try not to do it too recklessly. I know it's reckless no matter how you cut it, but I try not to do it in town, where there are more variable dangers than on, say, a highway. At least on a highway, there's blatantly less of a chance of pedestrians being hit, and if you do it at night, there are less cars on the road. As well as the reason of less cops and less chance of getting caught.

Regardless of consequences, racing is going to happen. The sooner the officials realize this, they can help fix the problem by making locations available to race, thus saving lives. Unless they just want to keep it illegal as possible, so they can meet their quota every month and get more money. Just my opinion, though.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Look at it this way, with this law (and however it makes it to the crusher) you loose your car, a car that appatently has a lot of stolen parts.

You run, you will loose the car, definatley go to jain, pay fines, or just die during the chase. And I'm sure a lot more legal issues will follow.

So, nothing more to loose?
First, you can relax when you reply, you seem to get so nervous, I can barely understand you.
Secondly, someone came on here or the report said, stolen parts, that`s not a necessity, I could very well have obtained everything on my ride legit.
Thirdly, you assume everyone who runs from the cops, gets caught. Not, plenty get away, and if there is a race thing going on, I do have that chance.
All this is hypothetical of course, (except your nervousness), just posting a thought on the subject, I`m too old to be trying to outrun the cops, Now...

Last edited by Black Beauty; 06-22-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Banned

Crushing the cars is pointless. The offenders will simply go get another one.

Jail time is really the only way to make 'em realize that there are real consequences for their actions. Probation and license revocations only prolong the inevitable slam of the bars in the cell. Put a few punk whitey kids from the valley in Chino for a year and they'll come out with a new outlook on life and no need for a laxative for the rest of their lives.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:06 AM

Why not go the "since it`s gonna happen, why not give them a venue" route?
Is the goal of our society, to put every one in jail for every action we don`t like?
What`s next, "We don`t want any fancy paint jobs"?
There are people on this very site, looking for ways to increase the power, for speed, on the HHR, do you want them impounded and crushed? And at what level do you start to be a street racer, how about an intake, or a muffler?

Quick Reply: Street racing punishment.